Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Ice Storm - Oak Tree

1,234 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by austinaggie2012
austinaggie2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

I planted a small Schumard Oak in Austin, TX during 08/18. The tree survived the recent snow storm but had showed no signs of life until today when leaves sprouted.

The leaves are only at the base and I'm pretty certain it barely survived.

Does anyone have knowledge, experience or advice they would share regarding how to best care for an adolescent oak that froze?

I am head of the grounds committee for my church and this tree was planted when I joined the church, ergo I justify bringing this item before my fellow Aggies.
Kenneth_2003
AG
No expert here... I'd say leave it be for a few more weeks. Continue its regular care.

If later in the year it's apparent it's only alive at the base, cut the trunk above the new sprouts. A year or so later, pick a sprout to be the new trunk.
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree. I had one live oak that looked mostly dead last week and now has almost fully recovered with half size green leaves covering it. Give it a bit more time I say, since it was a much younger tree.

Worst case. Like Kenneth said, you cut it off then. No additional harm I don't think. I am not a botanist or anything, so take anything I say as guesses....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
If you do start to see leaves higher up, once they mature, I would prune those ground level ones off, so that the water and nutrients get higher into your trunk. Also, maybe truly a tree fertilizer stake or two? I don't see how that could hurt. I think I am going to pick some up for me trees tomorrow.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
jpb1999
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

If you do start to see leaves higher up, once they mature, I would prune those ground level ones off, so that the water and nutrients get higher into your trunk. Also, maybe truly a tree fertilizer stake or two? I don't see how that could hurt. I think I am going to pick some up for me trees tomorrow.

I would stay away from the tree stake and use organic fertilizer to be more careful to not burn the roots. Like espoma plant-tone.

Spane Bohem

austinaggie2012
Thanks y'all
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.