Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ag Farm Labor

6,626 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wildman15
CenterHillAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like this is turning into arguments from statements that are taken out of context, hence me saying this is a conversation better served around a campfire than a forum.

For the record: I have nothing against getting a degree if all you want to do is farm. If you want to work on the support side of ag, absolutely go get a degree, it's almost impossible to have a career without one. I'm not advocating farmers keeping their kids on the farm and never experiencing another way of life, viewpoint, or some sort of education. I believe those kids should have something in their back pocket to fall back on if they come back to the farm and hate it. If my son wants to follow me into spraying, first he'll have either a degree, A&P certification, or welding certification. Even then a buddy and I have agreed we'll do some sort of worker exchange program with our sons, so they can see how different operations are run. Ag flying is very boring if everything is going right, someone using it to chase an adrenaline high will be sorely disappointed and get out quickly. I think one of the worst things we can do as parents is keep our kids under our wing their entire formative years, they need to experience life and the mistakes that go with it.

However, if you have no background in farming, no family in farming, no path to farming, I believe you are better off becoming a farmhand and learning the business and building off that, than you are spending $100k+ on a bachelors in ag then figuring out how to get into farming. Watching the area I work, those with degrees don't have anymore success than those without. The willingness to take a large financial risk that puts them ahead plays far more into success than degree vs no degree.
texAZtea
AG
I moved to Africa to get better experience already, you're preaching to the choir. Its what I had to do given I was raised on one acre and the industry prefers kids raised in the farm. I completely understands why.

At this point I'm feeling sorry for myself because my wife can't imagine living more than 3 hours from her parents. That radius lands me squarely in Texas.

This thread pissed me off for several days. First because people seem to read posts looking for a reason to be offended, and then because it pretty much confirmed for me what I was afraid of. Today I'm more grateful for the wake up call than pissed. I realized I'm gonna have to get creative and work with the hand I've got.
texAZtea
AG
CenterHillAg said:

However, if you have no background in farming, no family in farming, no path to farming, I believe you are better off becoming a farmhand and learning the business and building off that, than you are spending $100k+ on a bachelors in ag then figuring out how to get into farming.

This is what I wish someone had said instead of everyone pushing college.

Maybe I read the situation wrong, but the light didn't leave potential employers eyes when they found out I had no background before college. It was when they found out I had no background and a degree.
SunrayAg
AG
TexAZ. What area of the state are you in?

I am an independent crop consultant over the age of 50. I know a crap ton of independent crop consultants over 60, and several over 70. I know very few under 40.

Find one looking to retire in a few years, work for him for a few years, then take over.
texAZtea
AG
Just started a new job, currently in CS. That's a valid point and I'm looking.
Build It
AG
What would be a good place to look for a summer job if you were an Aggie sophomore interested in commodities?
fightingfarmer09
texAZtea said:

I moved to Africa to get better experience already, you're preaching to the choir. Its what I had to do given I was raised on one acre and the industry prefers kids raised in the farm. I completely understands why.

At this point I'm feeling sorry for myself because my wife can't imagine living more than 3 hours from her parents. That radius lands me squarely in Texas.

This thread pissed me off for several days. First because people seem to read posts looking for a reason to be offended, and then because it pretty much confirmed for me what I was afraid of. Today I'm more grateful for the wake up call than pissed. I realized I'm gonna have to get creative and work with the hand I've got.

Dude. The first statement is total BS. We just hired a seed salesman that spent their life in the city and worked for food services sales company previously. But was driven, willing to relocate, and had some sales experience. My job is to train them from the ground up, so trust me, "farm experience" is over rated. I'll take oil field sales over combine skills everyday.

Your biggest problem is your second statement. Nothing will change until you fix that.
texAZtea
AG
At this point I feel like we could save both of us a lot of trouble and you just come to my house and tell me how worthless you think I am based on a thread. Would that work for you?
fightingfarmer09
I think you misread my tone drastically. I think you are caught in the classic Aggie trap that I myself fell for, being close to CS. It wasn't until I took a leap that my career took off beyond what I thought possible. I hope you find that yourself.

To me this is just a fun discussion for people concerned about Ag Labor and how to start a career.

I'm sorry your experience has not been as rewarding as others. Invitation is always open if you need to open the door, just ask, the Agriculture network is bigger than the Aggie network and can produce results.
Wildman15
AG
texAZtea said:

At this point I feel like we could save both of us a lot of trouble and you just come to my house and tell me how worthless you think I am based on a thread. Would that work for you?
tap the breaks there, partner. He's not completely wrong. As someone who isn't working in the agricultural field (but have a degree in Ag), his statement is true. My first job after A&M was a sales rep for a roofing manufacturing company. Guess who had never even held a shingle before? This guy, along with many other sales reps/workers in the industry from manufacturing all the way to the guy actually nailing the shingle on the roof.

The moral of the story - there are jobs out there for people willing to learn and put in the effort. My final interview with the VP of sales for my previous company only had one question, and that was "what do you think about Johnny Football?" 20 minutes later I walked out with my onboard paperwork.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.