Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ag Farm Labor

6,625 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wildman15
yippee2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Help me out with a little info.

Are you having trouble finding labor?

What do you pay per hour?

Your location and type of Ag work?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I contact our local FFA teacher, and ask him who his best hands are. I ask him if he has some high school guys that can help me work sheep and then tell him what day I need them to help me with pen work.

I pay the guys $75/day and buy them lunch and soft drinks/Gatorade/water. Usually takes me about 1/3 of the time to do the pen work when I have the two extra hands. The $200 spent on labor is well worth it. With the kids from the FFA program you get good workers, that know their way around livestock and are happy to jump at the chance to earn a little fuel/running around money for that weekend.

Full time M-F, 40+ hours a week employees, I'm no help in that area.
fightingfarmer09
Can you narrow it down a little?

Research labor has gotten expensive, field labor has gotten scarce, and warehouse labor is available but unreliable.

So basically the same in every industry.

Roguing crews are getting outrageous because they can move up to Colorado Hemp/Pot production and make more money.
birddog7000
AG
Yes, labor is very difficult to find. We use a large (8-12 guys depending on job size) labor crew for about 1/3 of the year. These guys work for the guy who we contract them through the other 2/3 of the year harvesting crops and roguing corn/various other seed corn operations that require semi-skilled farm labor. We pay $26/hour for them on contract. They get themselves to the site and pay for their hotel room. We use them for spraying mesquite, all over the State. We treat these guys very well because they are so important to our work and in such short supply.

Just curious, why are you asking these questions?
yippee2
AG
To narrow it down -

Can you find M-F farm labor in Texas and how much does it cost per hour.

How does the different ag sectors compare - like Citrus harvest verses Turf farms. Or Ranch hands verses Row Crop farms

Have you seen a increase or decrease in labor since the borders are open?

yippee2
AG
birddog7000 said:

Yes, labor is very difficult to find. We use a large (8-12 guys depending on job size) labor crew for about 1/3 of the year. These guys work for the guy who we contract them through the other 2/3 of the year harvesting crops and roguing corn/various other seed corn operations that require semi-skilled farm labor. We pay $26/hour for them on contract. They get themselves to the site and pay for their hotel room. We use them for spraying mesquite, all over the State. We treat these guys very well because they are so important to our work and in such short supply.

Just curious, why are you asking these questions?
I'm asking because we are in competition for labor in our area.
Micropterus
AG
This might be of some interest

https://agfax.com/2021/02/01/south-african-h-2a-guest-workers-given-exemption-from-travel-ban-dtn/
fightingfarmer09
yippee2 said:

To narrow it down -

How does the different ag sectors compare - like Citrus harvest verses Turf farms. Or Ranch hands verses Row Crop farms

Yes and no to all of those. I feel like I'm doing your political science homework. Just spit out what you are looking for.

This information is readily available online:

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Texas/Publications/Current_News_Release/2021_Rls/spr-labor-02-2021.pdf

The border issue has a minimal immediate impact on labor. Even in horticulture when I was working with 300+ workers a day. Most of it is already hired. And a lot of the southern labor is based out of Mexico anyway. "Unskilled" labor is still very skilled for what they are paid. Because speed and mistake free work is a premium.

ETA: You are looking at this issue wrong by trying to compare wages of citrus to turf.

Wages are more likely influenced by English proficiency, mechanically inclined, trustworthiness, and skill set.

A guy on a ladder picking oranges makes less than the guy driving a lawnmower on a turf farm, but the guy running the irrigation on a citrus farm makes more than him. And the guy that speaks English and can tell the others what to do makes more than them.
agfan2013
AG
Not a farmer but I work for quite a few row crop guys in central Texas.

Yes it's hard to find good, dependable labor on a consistent basis, but can be done. Biggest competition seems to be housing/construction, especially with the boom going on right now.

Most guys are $8-12 with some sort of benefit (housing, vehicle, etc), or just straight labor $14-20, is what a few guys told me. That's what it takes to keep a guy around. Just like most professions, they are definitely willing to pay more if a guy knows how to run various equipment and can be very self sufficient on getting tasks done, vs a guy you have to do a lot of hand holding with.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Micropterus said:

This might be of some interest

https://agfax.com/2021/02/01/south-african-h-2a-guest-workers-given-exemption-from-travel-ban-dtn/

Lots of Peruvians working in the H2A program as well.

Just don't do what the family from Ozona did. A fairly well known fencing/welding/roustabout business around Ozona got caught using the migrant workers for their oilfield businesses instead of on their ranch like they were supposed to be using them for.
jtp01
AG
Good farm labor is hard to come by and when you do it's expensive. I farm and work in the irrigation industry and could probably place over 100 pivot technicians in various parts of the state/my territory.

Things are so rough my neighbor is trying to hire my 13 year old son to run a tractor/shredder for him this summer, but we need him working on our farm.
Maverick06
AG
Apiaries here. Labor is nonexistent. Family can't expand business because we can't find labor. Looking into H2A but the housing condition kind of kills the idea (must provide housing). Bee business is high capital, low margin business (like most Ag so not trying to say we're different). Other than die off (high capital), labor is the biggest issue in our business.
Wildman15
AG
yippee2 said:

Help me out with a little info.

Are you having trouble finding labor?

What do you pay per hour?

Your location and type of Ag work?
Just go ahead and post the link to your survey so you can get an extra 5 points on your final exam or whatever extra credit you're trying to get
Senator Blutarski
AG
So, if a 15 year old, hardworking, unskilled, suburban Austin boy wants to spend some time working on a farm or ranch this summer (when he's not at summer camp), what's the best way to find work? Check with a local coop, put his number up at a hardware store, craigslist?

I'd love to see him spend time on both a cattle ranch and another working some sort of harvest, just to make sure he knows how the world works. The larger the operation, the better. Any good ideas in this regard?
Old RV Ag
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

So, if a 15 year old, hardworking, unskilled, suburban Austin boy wants to spend some time working on a farm or ranch this summer (when he's not at summer camp), what's the best way to find work? Check with a local coop, put his number up at a hardware store, craigslist?

I'd love to see him spend time on both a cattle ranch and another working some sort of harvest, just to make sure he knows how the world works. The larger the operation, the better. Any good ideas in this regard?
How's his skin - thick? I agree it'd be great for him but like most ranches, my ranch hands and vaqueros would haze him a lot (not physically) but he'd be doing a lot of snipe hunting.
tamc93
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

Does he know about this yet?

It would do him well to see how things operate and enjoy some hard work.

FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

Should be able to find work running a grain cart around Taylor. Check with the grain elevators over that way. Could possibly end up finding a guy with a decent sized cattle and grain operation.
Senator Blutarski
AG
You guys have the wrong idea so far. He's worked plenty driving t-posts, trenching new and repairing old water lines, spraying mesquite, etc. on 100+ degree days in Webb and Dimmit counties. He has plenty of experience with the ag exempt / hobby ranch / hunting place type work.

The idea is to have him exposed to something larger to see where the product becomes the business. Years ago, I was with a young commodity trader from Chicago when he met a cotton farmer. He was asking questions 100 mph trying to learn more about how cotton farming actually worked, to see how it impacted futures trading, which he was still learning. The idea is more about exposure.
Old RV Ag
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

You guys have the wrong idea so far. He's worked plenty driving t-posts, trenching new and repairing old water lines, spraying mesquite, etc. on 100+ degree days in Webb and Dimmit counties. He has plenty of experience with the ag exempt / hobby ranch / hunting place type work.

The idea is to have him exposed to something larger to see where the product becomes the business. Years ago, I was with a young commodity trader from Chicago when he met a cotton farmer. He was asking questions 100 mph trying to learn more about how cotton farming actually worked, to see how it impacted futures trading, which he was still learning. The idea is more about exposure.
Umm, .... , so, why did you refer to him as "unskilled"
Senator Blutarski
AG
Thank you for the suggestion Dirty-8-thirty!
Senator Blutarski
AG
If driving a t-post and spraying mesquite is skilled . . . then I guess he is skilled. I just meant that he's probably not ready to hop on a $500K combine.
Old RV Ag
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

If driving a t-post and spraying mesquite is skilled . . . then I guess he is skilled. I just meant that he's probably not ready to hop on a $500K combine.
Why not? Sounds like a young man I wouldn't hesitate to get trained on one.
jtp01
AG
I guess a 13 year old who will combine his own 140 acre dry land wheat crop is an anomaly. He planted it by himself (no auto steer) so I will run grain cart for him while he runs the combine. His crop, his harvest.
He will pay cash rent (10%) and harvest expenses. He's learning how farming business actually works. He will also have to pay the grain cart driver and truck driver (his grandpa) wages for the harvest labor.

Age is a number and you wouldn't believe how much driving t posts and spraying teaches a kid.
Senator Blutarski
AG
If you have a combine that needs driving, let me know when it's time, and I'll send him your way.
WildAg08
AG
South Texas - Row Crop, Cattle and Hay.

Labor is next to nonexistent.

To be fair we were spoiled before. Much like the producers, a lot of the labor is aging out.

We've got some guys coming out of retirement. "Unskilled" hands that understand hydrology and water dynamics of these old farms like nobody's business.
SquanchyAg
fightingfarmer09 said:

yippee2 said:

To narrow it down -

Yes and no to all of those. I feel like I'm doing your political science homework. Just spit out what you are looking for.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Texas/Publications/Current_News_Release/2021_Rls/spr-labor-02-2021.pdf

The border issue has a minimal immediate impact on labor. Even in horticulture when I was working with 300+ workers a day. Most of it is already hired. And a lot of the southern labor is based out of Mexico anyway. "Unskilled" labor is still very skilled for what they are paid. Because speed and mistake free work is a premium.

ETA: You are looking at this issue wrong by trying to compare wages of citrus to turf.

Wages are more likely influenced by English proficiency, mechanically inclined, trustworthiness, and skill set.

A guy on a ladder picking oranges makes less than the guy driving a lawnmower on a turf farm, but the guy running the irrigation on a citrus farm makes more than him. And the guy that speaks English and can tell the others what to do makes more than them.

If it's such a chore and you are doing his homework, then just don't spend time answering him. Easy peezy, Mr busy bee.
Old RV Ag
AG
SquanchyAg said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

yippee2 said:

To narrow it down -

If it's such a chore and you are doing his homework, then just don't spend time answering him. Easy peezy, Mr busy bee.
AnScAggie
AG
WildAg08 said:

South Texas - Row Crop, Cattle and Hay.

Labor is next to nonexistent.

To be fair we were spoiled before. Much like the producers, a lot of the labor is aging out.

We've got some guys coming out of retirement. "Unskilled" hands that understand hydrology and water dynamics of these old farms like nobody's business.
No joke. My manager/worker is 75 years old, when he finally quits/retires I'm certain I'll be lucky to replace him with a spry 60+ year old.
milkman00
AG
I can likely find him a job if you are serious. Which side of Austin do you live on?
panhandlefarmer
AG
https://usafarmlabor.com/

South Africans
CanyonAg77
AG
jtp01 said:

Good farm labor is hard to come by and when you do it's expensive. I farm and work in the irrigation industry and could probably place over 100 pivot technicians in various parts of the state/my territory.
What do you have in the way of jobs for lazy, semi-retired old farts who spend too much time on the computer?
jtp01
AG
Depends upon how many pivot towers you want to climb and troubleshoot.
CenterHillAg
AG
I'm on the aerial application side of things. I pay loader hands $25/hr, it's a part time job though. It's not terribly physical, but the mixing and amount of chemical has to be done correctly or it can turn into a huge costly mistake, so I pay a premium for guys that can do the job right.

My friends that have full time guys pay them $14-20/hr, 40 hrs guaranteed and upwards of 100 hrs in the busy season. Those jobs are a lot more physical because of the amount of rice work they do, lots of loading dry fertilizer. 2 of the best hands I know are young felons, great guys that work hard and have done a good job of turning their lives around.
CanyonAg77
AG
jtp01 said:

Depends upon how many pivot towers you want to climb and troubleshoot.
Been there, done that. Depends on how many I have to climb per day, and if I get to pick and choose when I work. Need lots of down time, don't you know. Also need a 4-wheeler, I ain't walking 1/2 mile in mud.
Complaint Investigator
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I'm on the aerial application side of things. I pay loader hands $25/hr, it's a part time job though. It's not terribly physical, but the mixing and amount of chemical has to be done correctly or it can turn into a huge costly mistake, so I pay a premium for guys that can do the job right.

My friends that have full time guys pay them $14-20/hr, 40 hrs guaranteed and upwards of 100 hrs in the busy season. Those jobs are a lot more physical because of the amount of rice work they do, lots of loading dry fertilizer. 2 of the best hands I know are young felons, great guys that work hard and have done a good job of turning their lives around.

fixed wing or whirly birds? I saw rice, and know they use smaller helicopters to fertilize between male/female rows. I'm a helicopter driver working on fixed wing licenses now.

I thought about starting on a truck and working my way into it like a buddy of mine did (who wants me to partner with him on his own biz; ) but I'm worried that the time away is going to be more than if I went to the airlines. Granted, it's a risk either way, but if I save during the boom times, the bust times shouldn't be too bad. I'm already taking a 66% paycut to go to a regional right out of the gae. I may partner with him anyhow on his biz $ wise, and then fly as I can in between trips.

Have you all seen a downturn in spraying, or any mention of building drones to do the work of pilots?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.