Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backyard Chickens

4,756 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jakeaggie84
jakeaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been thinking about getting a few for our backyard which is in the middle of a subdivision in Katy. Not sure the rule, but think I am going the "better to ask forgiveness" route. No side or back neighbors, so I might be able to keep it secret for a while. Just want to teach the kids and maybe get some fresh eggs.

Any thoughts or tips for other urban chicken farmers? I have a cheap coup I made for the kids I am going to convert. Have a "roach farm" in the garage for the bearded dragon that was going use to supplement the chicken feed.

Should I buy adults, or get some chicks a tractor supply? Or try and hatch some fertilized eggs??

Also, what is the fewest number I should get?
AgsMnn
AG
Don't get a rooster.
Buy chicks at local feed store.
Don't get over 4.
Have fun with it and don't get too disgruntled if something happens to 1 or 2. Like Aggie football, there is always next year and you can buy a couple more chicks again to restock.
spud1910
AG
3 or 4 is a good number. If you want it to be a learning experience for the kids and aren't worried about getting eggs, buying chicks is fine. But by the time they are old enough to lay, the days will be getting shorter so your egg production may not be great.
Burdizzo
AG
Friends of the family live in one of those country subdivisions where the lots are about five acres. They got about a dozen chicks and didn't think to check genders. Chickens were free range in a brushy area. About a year later they had about 30 chickens, their kids got lessons on butchering chickens.
Cen-Tex
AG
hope you have plans for food & water when you want to go on vacation
78_Pacecar
AG
Keep in mind this is going to draw more snakes to your yard as well.
AgEng98
And coons, possums, coyotes, hawks...
BrazosDog02
AG
Since you are in a subdivision, the first thing you may want to do is find an exit strategy.

Find someone that can or will take the chickens if this doesn't work out or you have an unforeseen Karen in your hood.

Otherwise, enjoy it and fight like hell to keep them. It's a cool thing to do for the kids.

We ended up being a a few friends chicken rehoming destination but they got a lot of fun out of them.
RMC91
AG
Keep in mind that chickens are not always quiet. Your neighbors will quickly know you have them back there when they start laying eggs.
textar4404
Don't be upset when you start losing them to predators (hawks, racoons, larger cats). Just remember they are only chickens and are at the bottom of the food chain. When they get the urge to fly over your fence, and they will, they might get eaten by a neighbor's dog. Don't blame the neighbor or the dog.

If this is your first time with chickens, buy some that are already older. Save the raising chicks experience for later when you've lost a few chickens.

Vacations are still possible. Either hire a neighbor's kid for a few bucks and let them keep the eggs they collect when you are gone, or install automatic waterers and deer feeder to throw scratch. A daylight triggered door on the coop is nice if you want them to free range during the day.

Finally, put a ceramic egg in each nesting box. It encourages the hens to lay (might be an old wive's tale but it seems to work) and when you get the inevitable chicken snake in the hen house, it makes it easier to catch them when they can't squeeze out the hole they came in through. Also, get a good set of snake tongs for pulling pissed off chicken snakes out of the hen house and machete for retrieving your ceramic egg.
Apache
AG
If you do get chicks & one happens to get eaten by a rat snake, for the love of all that's holy don't go buy 20 pounds of moth balls and spread them around your fenceline to keep the snakes out.

What that will is make your neighbor really pissed off that his yard smells like moth balls for two weeks & make his eyes water when he walks outside from the g**%@ fumes. That neighbor may no longer help you out with stuff after that.
PooDoo
AG
The kids will love it...

Go to Home Depot get two of those big plastic bins, a brooder lamp, and an orange heat lamp bulb.

The feed store... I've heard bad things about TS's chicks since they moved to those space saving chicken towers.
Feeder

Water:

Keep the chickens in one bin with the heat lamp and feeders filled with about 3-4 inches of wood shavings.

Clean out the poop and wet shavings every day or two.

When the chicks get big enough to fly out of the bin start giving them some supervised time in the backyard when its warm to explore.

And get a power washer for the poop... swing set, trampoline, any concrete... they love to poop on it.

Save a couple of egg cartons to get ready for the eggs. You can keep them at room temp for a week or two if you dont wash them off after they are laid. There are plenty of YouTube channels that give you washing a storing tips.

Have some hiding spots in the back yard because even after they are full grown there will be hawks, raccoons, and etc trying to get them.

We had 4 in our yard that got wiped out by a red fox about a week before the blizzard.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Old golf balls work just as good as ceramic eggs.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

When they get the urge to fly over your fence, and they will...
Clip their wings....problem solved.
BurrOak
AG
Definitely will need a power washer if you plan to let them roam around. They will get on your porch and **** everywhere. I have 5 hens that I let free range. They have 15+ acres to roam around on, but their favorite place to hang out is on my damn back porch. I bought a Super Soaker that I blast them with whenever they get up on the porch.

And those 5 hens produce enough eggs for us as well as 2 neighbors. I have Rhode Island Reds and Cinnamon Queens.
textar4404
BoerneGator said:

Quote:

You'd be surprised how high a clipped wing chicken can still fly for short distances. They are stubborn, stupid, smart, annoying, fun animals.
BoerneGator
AG
textar4404 said:

BoerneGator said:

Quote:

You'd be surprised how high a clipped wing chicken can still fly for short distances. They are stubborn, stupid, smart, annoying, fun animals.
Naw, not surprised. Keep clippin! This is a challenge scissors can/will win...
Spoony Love
AG
From our experience there are a few breeds that work well in backyards within neighborhoods that will keep quite.

Buff Orpingtons, salmon favorelles, and black australorps tend to stay on the ground and are all good layers that aren't too noisy. Generally speaking they are quiet but every once in a while you get the noisy hen.

We have had good success from TSC even with the changes in their brooder setup. The employees aren't happy with it either.

Start in a tub as mentioned above for about the first month of their life. If it's warm outside at that point you should be able to coop them. Just make sure the coop is buttoned up tight and plenty of roosting options.

Even if you leave on vacation, you can leave out food and water in the coop and they will most likely be okay.

Your best plan of action is to talk to the neighbor and see if they are okay with it and/or can be bribed with eggs.

We went from 5 chickens in our backyard in a neighborhood to acreage with over 50 layers currently, plans to be at 100 this year because we can sell the eggs.

Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT get a leghorn for a neighborhood backyard chicken. They get everywhere and you will be found out soon.
Showertime at the Bidens
BurrOak said:

Definitely will need a power washer if you plan to let them roam around. They will get on your porch and **** everywhere. I have 5 hens that I let free range. They have 15+ acres to roam around on, but their favorite place to hang out is on my damn back porch. I bought a Super Soaker that I blast them with whenever they get up on the porch.

This. They will spend most of their time on the porch where they feel safe.
AgCWby90CS
AG
BoerneGator said:

textar4404 said:

BoerneGator said:

Quote:

Naw, not surprised. Keep clippin! This is a challenge scissors can/will win...
this, if their clipped short enough, they typically won't fly over a 6' fence.
CWby '90
AgCWby90CS
AG
BurrOak said:

And those 5 hens produce enough eggs for us as well as 2 neighbors. I have Rhode Island Reds and Cinnamon Queens.
try building a roost that they can use, not on the porch.
CWby '90
danieljustin06
AG
I say, I say now boy.....
rootube
AG
Ask around and see if you can find several roosters. You can have them fight the bearded dragon for backyard supremacy.
Apache
AG
That boy's about as sharp as a pile of wet leather...
BurrOak
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

BurrOak said:

try building a roost that they can use, not on the porch.

They have a nice coop and a pretty good sized enclosed run with multiple nice roosting spots throughout both that I built. I let them out during the day to free range.

I think it's just the nice cool shaded concrete on their feet that they like. And probably the safety factor as well that was mentioned above.
PunchyFarmer
AG
Cadillac backyard hoop coop. You'll never lose a bird to predators. We bought one for our school. Can go on vacation no problem.

http://microfamilyfarms.com/Hoop-Coop/hoop-coop.html

jakeaggie84
AG
PunchyFarmer said:

Cadillac backyard hoop coop. You'll never lose a bird to predators. We bought one for our school. Can go on vacation no problem.

Looks cool, but $2500! Think I will try building something for a bit cheaper.
PooDoo
AG
How do they keep the predators from digging under the fence?
zooguy96
jakeaggie84 said:

PunchyFarmer said:

Looks cool, but $2500! Think I will try building something for a bit cheaper.
Yeah, aint nobody buying that to have chickens in their backyard.. unless they have alot of money to burn.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Well, okay then
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I say, I say now boy.....
She reminds me of the road between Fort Worth and Dallas. No curves.

jaseev
I had 4 hens in my backyard subdivision, lost 1 to a hawk and 4 months later I lost all 3 in 1 night, neighbor s camera caught a red fox at their front porch. I also lost 11 quail , but due to my ignorance I thought the quail were canabilzing themselves till the last 3 were killed. also during the cold spells and snow my production of eggs never fell off I had to get eggs every day so they didn't freeze and ruin , 22% mini laying pellets .My hens didn't have a enclosure other than a privacy fence which I thought was good enough, I was wrong, had them2 yrs.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Reminds me of a few weeks ago when I went to lunch with the music assistant at my church. Coming back we were discussing the worst job we'd ever had. He had worked in a chicken plant in late HS (I think) and hated it. I told him two things: first, anything that mixes the words, work and chickens, CAN'T be good; and second, as bad as it was for him, it was MUCH worse for the chickens!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I would do quail over chickens

That's what I did
CCMU Coach
Only clip one wing. Can't fly if they are unbalanced.

Clipping both wings just means they have to try harder to fly.
Matsui
AG
This thread makes me smile.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.