Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fly Fishing Guides Beavers Bend/Broken Bow

2,088 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AceAggie05
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a fly fishing guide in Beavers Bend/Broken Bow, OK. Would love to catch some Rainbows, but I'd be happy with Brown Trout too. Looks like there's some solo guys, and the local Fly Shop that offer guide services. Anybody used any of them before, and have good or bad experiences?

If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty experienced fisherman, but I have never fly fished at all before, so I'll be looking for a guide to teach me the basics of fly fishing as part of their service.
ratfacemcdougal
Go with whomever 87flyfisher recommends.
John Francis Donaghy
Bump for the weekday crowd.
Aggieangler93
AG
I would look into some casting lessons before you book a guide, if you have never flyfished before. I learned via watching Lefty Kreh VHS tapes and also reading some books. I also spent a lot of time practicing out in the yard. I would recommend both if space allows.

Some guides aren't great fly fishing teachers, but know how to put you on fish. I have fished that area many times as a drive up, walk in kind of day trip. I caught fish, but never really big ones in big numbers.

Maybe the local fly shop there would offer some casting lessons in the morning and fishing guided in the afternoon? I always find the local fly shops to be great resources. I guess they mostly deal with friendly fishermen after all! If you call to finds out, make sure you request someone that can teach you to cast.

Where are you located? Maybe there is a local Orvis store or another fly store there that can teach you some basics? Fly fishing can be more technical with the gear setup and correct line/tippet/fly etc for the conditions. I fish like crazy, and haven't fly fished in a while, but it's like riding a bike to me. It takes about 5 or 6 swings with the rod and I am back in business.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
shiftyandquick
It depends on the conditions at the fishery. 87 quit guiding there because of the conditions.

No guide is going to be able to do much if you have a toddler in diapers playing in the water next to you. And folks tubing by, and kids jumping in the river, etc.
TexDill15
AG
I've gone fishing with the local fly shop on my two visits to Broken Bow. Had a good experience both times, would recommend for the simplistic approach they take with you. I had zero experience going in and caught fish.

Attached the photo of the rainbow my dad caught.
Duncan Idaho
This.

At a minimum sign up for the fly fishing 101 at your local orvis store.

The difference in technique from baitcasting to fly casting is like skeet to precision target shooting. Not saying one is harder than the other but they are different skills
John Francis Donaghy
Thanks all.

Dill, the local Fly Shop is one of the options I was considering. Sounds like that's a good one for me based on your experiences. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I won't have much time to do any practicing or anything. Basically, I'll have an afternoon by myself to kill in Broken Bow, and I've always wanted to try fly fishing, so I figured it'd be a good opportunity to give it a shot. I don't own any equipment, will be using the gear provided by the guides, or renting from them, so nothing to practice with ahead of time. Really just want to give it a shot, and if I like it enough to get more serious, I'll start looking into buying my own gear and learning more about the technique, and getting some longer trips on the calandar. But for 4 hours, I'm happy to learn as I go with a guide to show me the basics, and hopefully catch one or two along the way.
87Flyfisher
AG
ONLY professional guide choice at Beavers Bend now that Jenny and I have walked away from the crowded mess of a river it has become is Beavers Bend Fly Shop.

https://www.beaversbendflyshop.com/

Note that this is NOT the same as Beavers Bend Fly Fishing Guide Service.
John Francis Donaghy
Much appreciated Flyfisher. Sounds like the fly shop is definitely the way to go. Also sounds like I need to keep my expectations in check.
txaggie02
AG
87Flyfisher said:

ONLY professional guide choice at Beavers Bend now that Jenny and I have walked away from the crowded mess of a river it has become is Beavers Bend Fly Shop.

I was just in there last week visiting with Mrs. Brister. I grew up playing sports with their son Aaron. Very cool little shop. Unfortunate that Eddie passed away recently.
Aggieangler93
AG
This is the guide they have listed that I would choose. For some reason, I think she could even work for the IRS, and I would be happy to see her coming.... or going...

https://www.instagram.com/the.book.of.mo/
Law361
AG
Avoid Kevin Stubbs - Expedition Outfitters. Very shady business practices!
87Flyfisher
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

This is the guide they have listed that I would choose. For some reason, I think she could even work for the IRS, and I would be happy to see her coming.... or going...

https://www.instagram.com/the.book.of.mo/

Morgan Prater is obviously beautiful, but she also a hard working, knowledgeable fly fishing guide and not just another Instagram "pose with a fish girl."

On Instagram @the.book.book.of.mo, @maggiemaefly and @jenwoodruff.flyfishing are all pretty ladies who earned the respect of their fellow guides with their fly fishing skills. Glad I'm friends with two and married to one.
Aggieangler93
AG
You are very lucky to have a woman that excels at fishing! Good picking and congrats on her putting up with you!

I cannot recall where y'all moved to? Are you guiding again there? Seems like Panama for a while last I recall?
87Flyfisher
AG
We are in East Texas right now, we were in Belize last. We spent 2020 and 2021 either fishing on our own or in the hospital having both planned and emergency medical procedures. Finishing up the medical stuff and buying a house in Norfork, Arkansas later this month. We will be moving to North Arkansas full time in June and will start guiding there next year.
TexDill15
AG
txaggie02 said:

87Flyfisher said:

I was just in there last week visiting with Mrs. Brister. I grew up playing sports with their son Aaron. Very cool little shop. Unfortunate that Eddie passed away recently.

Not trying to be rude but was Eddie the older gentleman that ran the shop??

Both times I've been that guy was a hoot and was always ready to give you a good ribbing.
87Flyfisher
AG
TexDill15 said:

txaggie02 said:

87Flyfisher said:

Both times I've been that guy was a hoot and was always ready to give you a good ribbing.

Yes, that was Eddie Brister. Longtime high school and college football coach in Texas. He passed away from COVID in February. He was a great guy and Jenny and I miss him.
TexDill15
AG
87Flyfisher said:

TexDill15 said:

txaggie02 said:

87Flyfisher said:

Yes, that was Eddie. Longtime high school and college football coach in Texas. He was a great guy and Jenny and I miss him.

Damn, sorry to hear about that. He will be missed for sure. My condolences go out to you and his family.
Aggieangler93
AG
Hoping all the surgeries went well. Also going to look at insta for some Belize fish in pics now. I need to make it down that way someday.
AceAggie05
AG
Don't go with Chris Schaddy. I consider myself an amateur and I could see he wasn't going to get his clients any fish
AceAggie05
AG
I was sad when I learned that. I'd spend 30 minutes or so talking to Eddie (called him Coach, because that's what he did before retiring and taking over the fly shop) every day I was down there. It takes some of the glow out of going down there for me. He was a really great guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.