Outdoors
Sponsored by

Blue crab Galveston

9,625 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WC87
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I have a friend that grew up catching blue crab in Galvy.

I have a 4 day weekend in May coming up, and we will do just that for at least one day. I will probably buy one trap to throw out there, but I also want to bait some sticks and have the girls catch some with nets.

Have any of you ever done this? If so, where do you recommend that I go? General area is helpful, specific roads and spots are even more helpful. Feel free to PM me with details if you prefer.

Thanks for any help, OB. I promise pictures in June if I get some recommendations.

BTW, my oldest will be there. Future class of 2025.
Todd 02
AG
Ain't no thang but a chicken leg on a strang!
wrangler1010
Asking for someone fishing spot...,Is like asking to use somebody's toothbrush...
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BurrOak
AG
Someone posted on a thread awhile back about catching blue crab in the surf. Essentially tying up a trotline using twine tied between 2 pieces of PVC sticking out of the water. Bait it with chicken necks and run it after every couple of beers using a dip net. I'm gonna give that I try next time I'm at the surf.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
BurrOak said:

Someone posted on a thread awhile back about catching blue crab in the surf. Essentially tying up a trotline using twine tied between 2 pieces of PVC sticking out of the water. Bait it with chicken necks and run it after every couple of beers using a dip net. I'm gonna give that I try next time I'm at the surf.
We did that last August in the surf when we were in Galveston. Kids had a blast catching crab this way.

Also, if you choose chicken wing flats, you can loop your line between the two bones, flip it through, and you've got your bait locked in place. I think we placed ours about every 5 feet or so on about 40' of line.
LostTexasBoy
AG
wrangler1010 said:

Asking for someone fishing spot...,Is like asking to use somebody's toothbrush...
Do you feel better for being such a tough guy? Heaven forbid someone use vacation time and ask for pointers so that he and his kids can have a good time. GTFO with that bs.
meggy09
AG
LostTexasBoy said:

wrangler1010 said:

Do you feel better for being such a tough guy? Heaven forbid someone use vacation time and ask for pointers so that he and his kids can have a good time. GTFO with that bs.

Wrangler is right. You must not fish or hunt much, but giving out specific spots, especially on the internet, is the fastest way to ruin that spot.
rootube
AG
My experience is that location is not as important as time. Bait your trap and put it out asap. Ideally you want to have that thing out there for at least 24 hours if you want a lot of crabs. The crabs are pretty efficient at finding the bait if you give them enough time.
LostTexasBoy
AG
meggy09 said:

LostTexasBoy said:

wrangler1010 said:

Wrangler is right. You must not fish or hunt much, but giving out specific spots, especially on the internet, is the fastest way to ruin that spot.
Hahaha. You must not be on this board much. Threads are started nearly every day by people asking for advice on where to go and any tips they may have whenever they are planning to go hunting or fishing in a place they are not familiar with. And as to having a spot being ruined by giving out information on the internet, OP literally said, "Feel free to PM me with details if you prefer."
meggy09
AG
My bad. Please tell me more about what goes on with this board based on your 9 months of experience.
BCStalk
Showertime at the Bidens

It's effing crabs. They are everywhere. There are no secret spots.
Tx95Ag
AG
Well, you caught a couple crabs on this thread.

There is a crabbing pier in surf side. I've never used it but imagine it would be good for little kids. The one time I crabbed in the surf we mostly caught females with eggs. Maybe it was just the time of year. We did the trot line between two sticks. As said above, any place will have crabs. Easy access to the bay side can be found at the state park. Sounds like fun. Good luck.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Good thing OP clarified blue crabs. I knew a couple of rooms in B dorm that was loaded with them when I was there back in the 80s. We stayed away from those.
B-1 83
AG
meggy09 said:

LostTexasBoy said:

wrangler1010 said:

For crabs?

Don't waste legs. Use necks.
mhnatt
B-1 83 said:

For crabs?

Don't waste legs. Use necks.
^ this
agent-maroon
AG
Stupid question then - where do you buy chicken necks? Don't know if I've ever seen chicken necks packaged for sale.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rootube
AG
I was always taught that the only honorable way to bait a crab trap was with the leftover carcass of your fishing spoil but I suppose if you were in a hurry any low grade poultry should do.
StoneCold99
AG
Turkey neck and a crab trap off of a pier
Tx95Ag
AG
I see the wings at HEB. Been a while since I've looked for necks, but probably try Fiesta.
Post removed:
by user
Burdizzo
AG
Bidens leg hairs said:

It's effing crabs. They are everywhere. There are no secret spots.

That's what SHE said
mAgnoliAg
AG
Whenever we have visitors here in crystal beach we will take them crabbing in the boat. We have a spot right around the canal from our property where we get 40-60 per hr all by hand with string.
BusterAg
AG
wrangler1010 said:

Damn, dude. I wasn't asking for GPS coordinates or anything. Just some pointers on good types of spots versus bad types of spots. I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of stretches of beach in Galveston that are like 40 miles long that are a good place to go hunt crabs.

Thanks for the help on this thread guys. If we catch any keepers, the promise of pics is still good.
Ag_Eng98
AG
I've done the trot line approach in the surf some near Surfside. Put a heavy weight to hold it down. Raise them up slowly and net the crabs once you see them. The tides, moon phase, and fresh water dumping out of the rivers from heavy rains affect it although I can't remember if it is an incoming or outgoing tide. But we caught 70 in a few hours (our best outing) and then almost none after the tide changed. Early was usually better than later...

And we hammered in galvanized pipe to withstand the waves in the surf even when we try to stay out of the breakers. Mostly do the 2nd gut but have put the lines out in the 1st gut too. 3rd gut was too deep.
Teslag
AG
What's the best way to cook and eat these? I assume the meat is a bit harder to work for than snow or king.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Salute The Marines said:

What's the veer way to cook and eat these? I assume the meat is a bit harder to work for than snow or king.

This is why even though we can get as many as we want whenever, we rarely do unless we have visitors because they're a pain in the ass. I eat them an apparently disgusting way by cleaning them then frying them whole and eating the whole damn thing legs, shell and all. Doesn't feel too good for about 10 minutes the next morning but it's worth it to not have to **** with peeling them.
Warsteiner
Don't mean to hijack the thread but anyone know where to buy good crab traps at around Houston. Not the cheap academy ones.
IslandAg76
AG
You can get on Stewart Road at 7 or 8 Mile Road and head west-each of the small white bridges you cross over are places that often have people crabbing
cupofjoe04
AG
OP is asking about blue crabs. It ain't like any of you are out there every weekend feeding your family or winning tourneys on your secret blue crab hole. Let's chill on this a bit.

OP- I agree with the above poster that time is more important than location. They are most places.
The surf can be good, but would be harder to crab with kids.

I'll give you a spot that certainly isn't secret, but has always produced for me, and would be perfect for kids. East Beach Lagoon, where seawall hits Boddeker. You can catch all the crabs you want in that lagoon on the right or in the channel on the left. There is a little undercut below the road, and when the tide is flowing the crabs are feeding there. You guys can spread out and crab different areas. You can have fun letting the kids toss lines out and tease the crabs back into nets. You can mess with traps if you want- but you can catch plenty with lines and nets if you time it right.

It's been a decade since I did this at that location- hopefully things haven't changed too much.
AgLawman
AG
Pro Tip: Take you a tube of Close Up toothpaste to clean the crab funk off your fingers after you're done eating a mess of Blues.
Tx95Ag
AG
This is the right answer. Clean well and fry hot to get them crispy. I eat the legs and all but the thickest parts of the shell.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.