Outdoors
Sponsored by

Blue crab Galveston

9,838 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WC87
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Salute The Marines said:

What's the veer way to cook and eat these? I assume the meat is a bit harder to work for than snow or king.

This is why even though we can get as many as we want whenever, we rarely do unless we have visitors because they're a pain in the ass. I eat them an apparently disgusting way by cleaning them then frying them whole and eating the whole damn thing legs, shell and all. Doesn't feel too good for about 10 minutes the next morning but it's worth it to not have to **** with peeling them.
Growing up on Copano Bay, we caught tons and Mom and her sister would sit under the house in the shade and clean them with small picks and paring knives. I always thought it was a treat and late in life mom said "we were cheap and poor". Now she will buy the crab meat at the seafood section and said she cleaned her last batch in about 1980.

Never thought about the whole crab scenario.
Stat Monitor Repairman
We talmbout crab here. **** gettin heated. The corvids got people stressed.
CT'97
AG
Wouldn't eat a blue crab out of Galveston Bay if you paid me.

Love blue crab, catching, cooking, and eating, but not out of that body of.water.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
cupofjoe04
AG
That's a great point!
Ag_of_08
AG
meggy09 said:

LostTexasBoy said:

wrangler1010 said:

Asking for someone fishing spot...,Is like asking to use somebody's toothbrush...
Do you feel better for being such a tough guy? Heaven forbid someone use vacation time and ask for pointers so that he and his kids can have a good time. GTFO with that bs.

Wrangler is right. You must not fish or hunt much, but giving out specific spots, especially on the internet, is the fastest way to ruin that spot.

It's crabbing..... dude. This is not the back creek holding a million dollar trophy bass, it's crabs.
BusterAg
AG
Thanks for this thread guys. Keep the tips coming....
Al Bula
AG
meggy09 said:

Wrangler is right. You must not fish or hunt much, but giving out specific spots, especially on the internet, is the fastest way to ruin that spot.
you started a thread literally asking where to fish on Sam Rayburn.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3173625/replies/58428265
Tx95Ag
AG
Allsome!

If you can't ask for help with OB stuff on the OB then the world really has gone to hell.
waryman
AG
Nm
Shoefly!
AG
Some of my fondest memories in Galveston on vacation we were crabbing. It was awesome and we found that the rock jetty's were the best place to put string lines. We made our clips out of clothes hangers and add twine with a stick on the end. Our best bait was chicken necks. We always had good luck around a dead fish carcass caught in the rocks, also if you have chicken necks or beef kidney let the blood drip down in the granite and drop in the water, it makes a pretty good blood trail. Just be careful when walking around with your crabnet. If you fall those rocks are unforgiving. Plenty of drinks, sunscreen, caps, long-sleeved shirts and good supporting shoes. We spent hours crabbing, it was a blast. And it was quite rewarding at night when everyone gathered around the table cracking crabs, laughing, telling jokes and ribbing each other about the days adventures.
LostTexasBoy
AG
meggy09 said:

My bad. Please tell me more about what goes on with this board based on your 9 months of experience.

From Ocean of Funk's post:
Quote:

meggy09 said:

Ok, fine. I'll let the guy with 13+ years on here and 25,000 more posts than you call you out for your own hypocrisy and bull*****
DuncanLEO
Warsteiner said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread but anyone know where to buy good crab traps at around Houston. Not the cheap academy ones.
Don't give away your secret spot!
AyoCheetah
AG
Oyster Creek by Surfside. There is also a crabbing pier on Bluewater Highway just east of Surfside.

Have had success at both spots. You can get bait and crabbing string at most of the bait shops close by.
BQ84 -ORP
AG
Make sure you have a valid saltwater fishing license. Most people that don't fish do not realize you still need a saltwater fishing license to crab.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
after sundown, dipnet, spotlight, 6 pack. they will be at the waters edge all up and down the beach. Kids have a blast. Just dont let them get in the water past upper ankle deep. the surf can be tricky at night.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

meggy09 said:

Magnum P.I.'d the hell out of that one!!!
zooguy96
I'm sure we never had a fishing license when I was a kid when we went crabbing.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Yellerjacket
It's been a few years, but we caught a BUNCH behind Home Depot, just as you come in on 45.

*Not sure if legal.
Burdizzo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Kids don't need fishing licenses.
Charlie Murphy
Love it, people are protective of their secret Galveston crabbing spots.
zooguy96
Burdizzo said:

zooguy96 said:

Yeah, we'll my mom and dad did.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Burdizzo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Burdizzo said:

zooguy96 said:

Yeah, we'll my mom and dad did.

POACHERS!!!!!!
BusterAg
AG
LostTexasBoy said:

meggy09 said:

My bad. Please tell me more about what goes on with this board based on your 9 months of experience.

From Ocean of Funk's post:
Quote:

meggy09 said:

Ok, fine. I'll let the guy with 13+ years on here and 25,000 more posts than you call you out for your own hypocrisy and bull*****
Okay. I'm all for peace, love, happiness, and getting along with others.

The only thing I am after is blue crabs for my girls. Tons of great tips on this thread, if you have more, I'm all ears.
SteveBott
AG
Buster dang.

Just get out there. You will figure it out.
Badace52
AG
Wow!! A lot of piss and vitriol in this thread about crabbing. I don't have a spot anywhere near galveston but I got a few around Victoria county where I've had great success. If you are ever around there I'll give you exact gps coordinates if you want. We aren't running out of blue crabs anytime soon.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag_of_08
AG
Right... you make it up around beaumont I'll let you come grab a half dozen drop nets out of my garage and send you at least three sets of places.
WC87
AG
We just ignoring 'Galvy' and letting that slide?
BusterAg
AG
Your ******* right were letting that slide.

I grew up close enough to that pile of sand that I have earned the right to call it Galvy.

I just never really crabbed. This thread has been helpful.

Go. Pound. Sand.

WC87
AG
BusterAg said:

Your ******* right were letting that slide.

I grew up close enough to that pile of sand that I have earned the right to call it Galvy.

I just never really crabbed. This thread has been helpful.

Go. Pound. Sand.

OK,
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.