Outdoors
Sponsored by

Biden to announce executive action on gun control Thursday

19,017 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCStalk
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/07/biden-executive-actions-guns-479704

Quote:

Biden will direct the administration to begin the process of requiring buyers of so-called ghost guns homemade or makeshift firearms that lack serial numbers to undergo background checks, according to three people who have spoken to the White House about the plans. He is expected to be joined at the event by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Other executive actions remain unclear. But stakeholders have speculated that the president could announce regulations on concealed assault-style firearms; prohibitions on firearm purchases for those convicted of domestic violence against their partners; and federal guidance on home storage safety measures.

More than 100 House Democrats wrote to Biden last week, urging him to take action on the concealed assault-style firearms, which is similar to the one used in the Colorado shooting in which 10 people were killed.

One other announcement Biden could make on Thursday is the introduction of his nominee to be the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, who will play a key role in any executive branch action on guns. His nominee could be tough to get through a Senate split 50-50 between Republicans and Democrats. The ATF has had mostly acting directors since the position became Senate-confirmed. Todd Jones was confirmed as ATF director in 2013 after a years-long stint as acting director.

jellycheese
AG
3D printer go BRRRRRRR
El Chupacabra
Biden can take executive action on deez nuts. F*** that senile old man.
RO519
AG
"Concealed assault-style firearm"
BCStalk
I don't know but I kinda want one.
dodger02
AG
$10 says it is pistol braces...
Daddy-O5
AG
Suddenly some folks around certain parts remember any form of gun control, especially by executive action, is bad.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
nm
76Ag
AG
In this case I don't believe in coincidences. These shooters may have been triggered by the left. Just in time to push gun control.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
RO519 said:

Came here to ask this.

Aren't "concealed" and "assault style" pretty mutually exclusive?
Daddy-O5
AG
nm
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm guessing it's a reference to AR pistols and/or pistol braces.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Only someone who has never seen an AR "pistol" would call them "concealable" - and no one familiar with the English language could ever call them "concealed." What a bunch of *****
aggieforester05
AG
Just how quickly could these things be implemented? Let's say hypothetically one has a friend that has a bad ass new PSA AK-47 pistol with an SBA3 brace on it that's supposed to arrive at his/her FFL on Thursday. Is it possible that the executive actions could immediately stop FFLs from transferring Thursday?
aggieforester05
AG
Hopefully the supreme court does their job and upholds the constitution, but I'm not holding my breath.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Well, I suppose that's one way to try and distract from all the kids in cages that were such a huge crisis when someone else was in charge.
htxag09
AG
And yet nobody has the balls or common sense to ask how any of these executive orders would have stopped the recent shootings.

But, hey, action is better than no action, right? Regardless of the problems it actually fixes or creates.
Daddy-O5
AG
We've got to do something!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

RO519 said:

Came here to ask this.

Aren't "concealed" and "assault style" pretty mutually exclusive?
So made up scary words that don't actually mean anything or represent something that actually exists.

These liberals are beyond stupid. They possess mental capacities and critical thinking skills that would make newborns appear to be rhodes scholars.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Every time that's said, a politician should get a slap. Not nec. The politician speaking, just the closest one to hand.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor."
BSD
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Just how quickly could these things be implemented? Let's say hypothetically one has a friend that has a bad ass new PSA AK-47 pistol with an SBA3 brace on it that's supposed to arrive at his/her FFL on Thursday. Is it possible that the executive actions could immediately stop FFLs from transferring Thursday?

I hypothetically have friends with the same concern, with it hypothetically arriving next week. The gun in this scenario will be paid for, just needs to go thru FFL, hypothetically.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BCStalk said:

I don't know but I kinda want one.
I don't know either, but I'll be making a bunch before it goes into effect...
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Tylerjo97
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I'm in a similar boat. Mine arrived at my FFL on Sunday and I am picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll give an update tomorrow.
ldg397
AG
Tylerjo97 said:

aggieforester05 said:

I'm in a similar boat. Mine arrived at my FFL on Sunday and I am picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll give an update tomorrow.

Don't let your guns fall out of that boat it is happening a lot lately!!
RO519
AG
#metoo

Am I using the hashtag right?
BCStalk
Maybe I'm old but isn't that the pound symbol?
RO519
AG
Didn't realize I was talking to a Boomer.
dodger02
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Hopefully the supreme court does their job and upholds the constitution, but I'm not holding my breath.
Help me understand this. If the case goes to the SCOTUS, there are Kavanaugh, Thomas, Gorsuch, Alito, and Barrett to lean on without relying on Roberts.

Is the concern related to the fact that SCOTUS refused to hear appeals to the EO on bump stocks which was recently overturned by the 6th Circuit?

Or is this just general disdain for all things federal?

Honest question.
txyaloo
AG
BSD said:

aggieforester05 said:

I hypothetically have friends with the same concern, with it hypothetically arriving next week. The gun in this scenario will be paid for, just needs to go thru FFL, hypothetically.
Any change will have go to be put in the federal register and go through a comment period before it's implemented. I'd expect things to take effect in 45-90 days.

I also have a hard time seeing ATF reclassifying braced guns as SBRs without an amnesty period allowing registration with no tax. Not a great option, but better than confiscation or destruction
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
txyaloo said:

BSD said:

aggieforester05 said:

Any change will have go to be put in the federal register and go through a comment period before it's implemented. I'd expect things to take effect in 45-90 days.

I also have a hard time seeing ATF reclassifying braced guns as SBRs without an amnesty period allowing registration with no tax. Not a great option, but better than confiscation or destruction
Not sure they can EO braces to being stocks but maybe. Even if they do, get rid of the brace and just have a bare tube.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Plus, depending on how they word this, even IF they go after braces, the morons at the guberment will have to know how the definitions play out. Saying that AR pistols with brace kits = NFA (which, good luck on compliance with that) would possibly still leave the door open to 12.5" ARs that aren't pistols being ok since they are considered firearms.
aggieforester05
AG
dodger02 said:

aggieforester05 said:

Help me understand this. If the case goes to the SCOTUS, there are Kavanaugh, Thomas, Gorsuch, Alito, and Barrett to lean on without relying on Roberts.

Is the concern related to the fact that SCOTUS refused to hear appeals to the EO on bump stocks which was recently overturned by the 6th Circuit?

Or is this just general disdain for all things federal?

Honest question.
The supreme court tends to shy away from gun rights issues more often than not. Roberts also appears to have a lot of influence and you can't trust him further than you could throw him. Going back to the beginning, the NFA, Hughes Amendment, and GCA should all have been thrown out, yet here we are.

I'm not a fan of the "will of the people" argument that SCOTUS uses to kick certain topics to the curb due to popular opinion. IMO, They need to have the backbone to protect the rights of minority groups (minority opinion, not identity) by upholding the constitution even when those ruling may go against popular opinion.
aggieforester05
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Plus, depending on how they word this, even IF they go after braces, the morons at the guberment will have to know how the definitions play out. Saying that AR pistols with brace kits = NFA (which, good luck on compliance with that) would possibly still leave the door open to 12.5" ARs that aren't pistols being ok since they are considered firearms.
It'll be interesting to see if the 80% manufacturers pivot and make something outside the new definition of what constitutes a firearm. Seems like the definition of what could be made into a firearms would be limitless and unenforceable. Either way, you can buy a 3D printer setup to make your own for about the cost of two 80% Glock lowers.

Any AWB is going to end up with cartel machine shops spitting out lower receivers and more. Most likely machined for M-16 full auto parts, because why the hell not at that point.
El Chupacabra
htxag09 said:

And yet nobody has the balls or common sense to ask how any of these executive orders would have stopped the recent shootings.

But, hey, action is better than no action, right? Regardless of the problems it actually fixes or creates.
Because it's not about stopping shootings or saving lives, it's about control and power. That's it.

Politicians don't give a s*** about saving lives, they are smart enough to know that laws like this won't do a damn thing, but it'll get MDA and Karens sending in $$$ for their reelection campaign. I would argue that politicians (on the gun front), would rather see MORE mass shootings than preventing them. Money, power, control...that's it.
TarponChaser
I don't like any of these and don't see any except maybe the need to pass a background check to buy an 80% lower passing constitutional muster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.