Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rough week in my house (DOGS)

2,547 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Potcake
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I had to say goodbye to our two beloved Beagles within 24 hours of each other. Both were 15 and 16 years old respectively and had been together for 13 years. Both were in declining health but until recently were fairly comfortable. The 15 year old developed pretty bad arthritis and since the freeze a couple weeks ago has been largely non-mobile. We thought it was something worse but noticed the way he was carrying his weight when he would walk. We decided last Tuesday to get him looked at by our vet to see if we could treat him. Unfortunately, that night his sister 16years old who had advanced mast cell cancer had a seizure and didn't recover, completely out of it and having issues breathing for a couple hours so we decided to put her down.

the next day we took Rocky to see the vet as planned. She found several issues that she was concerned with, then I informed her of the loss of his sister, since they had been together for 13 years she was concerned that we would be dealing with extreme grief on top of trying to treat his ailments.

We have been a mess the entire weekend as these dogs had been with us through every milestone of our relationship. I got Lily(16year old) my Zip year in the band and she may have lived in the dorm and attended class with me... We adopted Rocky when we moved in together and Rocky and Lily have been together ever since.

andy@andrewadamsav.com
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
Sorry for the loss but sounds like great times w beautiful dogs. Looks like they enjoyed their life.
adamsbq06
AG
that pic was probably 5 years ago.

We even took lily to the hospital to visit my wife when she was on hospital bedrest pregnant with my daughter... and Rocky was the first dog to actually go to my daughter to give and receive affection when she was old enough to express interest in a dog.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Shane431
AG
I don't like these stories. My GSP is 16 and every day is hit or miss pending weather. Getting old sucks and dogs don't live long enough.
adamsbq06
AG
Just realized something kinda crazy... my female beagle, Lily, was put down at 4AM, my male, Rocky, was put down at 4PM.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Alte Schule
I try not to read these type of posts but I'll admit I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. My wife and I have been married 49 years. In that time we have had 11 dogs and we are on 12 & 13 now. Every one left a hole in my heart when they passed. Time heals though. Time heals.

Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
All my dogs got put down between July 4th and midway through the freeze

All 3 were special
Average Joe
AG
My parents have three beagles that are just replacement kids essentially. The oldest is 16 or 17 now and probably not long for this world. It's going to be a hard time for everyone when he passes. My daughters haven't had to deal with losing a dog yet, and those dogs are very much theirs as they are anyone's.
gonemaroon
AG
Sorry for your loss
AgBQ-00
AG
Sorry for your loss.
The Fife
Sorry for your loss OP. Had to do the same with my eskimo dog who had also been through everything with me. Dating, earning the nickname Snowy the Chastity Dog because people on couches at 1AM were extra interesting to him, meeting my ex wife, the entirety of the marriage, and divorce.

It's still hard thinking about the little guy.
water turkey
That's tough OP. I hope the good memories outweigh the sadness.
Ole Army 72
AG
It hurts........everytime I lose a dog........but be thankful for the great times.
OhAggie98
AG
Sorry for your loss. These times are painful.
La Fours
AG
Damn, that's rough. I'm really sorry.
WhoHe
AG
Alte Schule said:

I try not to read these type of posts but I'll admit I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. My wife and I have been married 49 years. In that time we have had 11 dogs and we are on 12 & 13 now. Every one left a hole in my heart when they passed. Time heals though. Time heals.

And the joy the next ones gives you makes you realize why you do it all over again!
MouthBQ98
AG
Never easy, but sometime the right thing is very difficult. Remember the good times.
el_scorcho
AG
Lost my lab mix a week ago and I'm still devastated. Walked down last Monday morning and found him on the floor where he liked to lay but he wasn't breathing. Poor boy appeared to have a heart attack in his sleep.
He was only 9 and healthy and happy. Total surprise. The shock, pain, and heart break of finding him and processing it all is immense. I am doing a lot better as I focus on all our wonderful and happy moments rather than that morning.
Hang in there.
jrrhouston98
AG
I've got a 15 yo GSP and I know our days are numbered with her. She's been my shadow since day one. Always went everywhere with me, but just doesn't have the strength anymore. Has the heart, but not the body. It will be a tough time for us, as my wife has grown very attached. And my 6 yo son has known her his whole life. It's sad hearing him talk about her age and how much she's slowed down, and of course to see him cry when she slips or has a hard time getting up off her bed. As my wife says, dogs should be 5 forever. Rest easy knowing they're waiting at the door for you.
Alte Schule
WhoHe said:

Alte Schule said:

And the joy the next ones gives you makes you realize why you do it all over again!
So true.
chloelee
So sorry for your family and fur babies.
Potcake
AG
That's tough to read. We're beagle people and have felt that loss too many times. They're great dogs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.