Outdoors
Sponsored by

In the market for a home defense shotgun

5,993 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mm98
nhamp07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New or used possibly. Anyone have any good leads or a good one to recommend?

I work shifts and want it to be something my wife can handle with training.
FIDO 96
AG
Page 1
Daddy-O5
AG
Oh no. T&P.
Muzzleblast
I have the Wilson Combat version of the 870..

Not cheap.

If you have a budget in mind it'll narrow it down.
Htownag11
AG
Thats all you need. Stick the gun outside the window and fire 2 blasts.
nhamp07
AG
I found a thread from January.

Oops
BQRyno
AG
Muzzleblast said:

I have the Wilson Combat version of the 870..

Not cheap.

If you have a budget in mind it'll narrow it down.

Have they discontinued ALL of their shotguns?
Bigballin
AG
in
nhamp07
AG
Maybe I'm looking for a starter home defense ar? Small enough for a 5'1" 110 pound wife.
mAgnoliAg
shiftyandquick
You need a double barrel shotgun. Any will do.

Wildman15
AG
We really need to turn these threads into a bingo/drinking game
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Htownag11 said:

Thats all you need. Stick the gun outside the window and fire 2 blasts.
Probably not even that, if you rack a shell first.
zooguy96
rather be fishing
AG
nhamp07 said:

Maybe I'm looking for a starter home defense ar? Small enough for a 5'1" 110 pound wife.

Rule #1
Jason C.
AG
That's a tiny wife for a big 'ol recoiling shotgun. I like the AR pistol idea.

But.... if you want a shotty I love the Ithaca Model 37.
Burn-It
AG
Typhoon Defense F12 for the W

https://www.typhoondefence.com/

It is a blast to blow $%!# up with 5, 10 & 20 round mags. They're supposed to be working on a 50 round drum. Shoots heavy loads without any cycling problems, lighter loads, not so much.
AKA 13-0
Muzzleblast
Don't know.

Haven't looked in ages.

Mine.
LRHF
AG
rather be fishing said:

nhamp07 said:

Rule #1

You can't come here and brag then expect us to help you if you don't follow the rules.!
El Chupacabra
Find an old 870 and rebarrel it with something you can put a light on.

Don't over think it. The learning curve on a shotgun vs AR is much easier.
DatTallArchitect
AG
nhamp07 said:

That is the way to go. Eyeguy (aka Texian Firearms) or skelso should be able to get you what you need
BenderRodriguez
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Interesting. How many women have you trained on both that led to this conclusion?

It is completely opposite to my experiences teaching multiple women how to shoot handguns, shotguns and rifles.

Eta: I can think of one exception (a woman who bird hunted with her husband a lot before I ever worked with them and was very familiar with shotguns), but every single other woman has preferred literally any other option over a pump action shotgun after limited training time (sub 4 hours). Handgun, rifle, anything. Even that woman liked a semi auto over a pump.
MilanoCowboy
AG
Really depends on the mindset and physicality of your wife. 5'1" 110 is petite in my mind. Could she handle a 12 gauge? My first thought is no. She would be overwhelmed and maybe fearful of it. A weapon does no good if the potential user is not willing. Maybe a 20 gauge or even a 410. The sound of a pump shotgun being racked is going to be enough to scare off most, particularly in the dark. My wife is 5'7" 135 and used to working on our ranch, but she doesn't like the 12 gauge Mossberg 500's in each corner of the bedroom. So, I got her a 20 gauge that she tolerates.
Milano Cowboy
Butchy Woods
AG
Practice and training should be necessary for either shotgun and AR for your wife.

I bought a 12 gauge 870 Tactical for my wife. After one shot and she said return it. LoP was tool long and the recoil was too much. I finally found what I wanted and installed a Kicklite recoil suppression collapsible stock from Phoenix Technologies. About $60. She loves her shotgun. Recoil is about a 20 gauge and it fits her frame. It also fits by 6'2" frame. The shot gun is not approved by Joe Biden since it only has one barrel.

My wife likes shooting my AR pistol but she prefers her shot gun for home defense. Also makes a great close quarter hog gun!
dubi
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

El Chupacabra said:

Interesting. How many women have you trained on both that led to this conclusion?

It is completely opposite to my experiences teaching multiple women how to shoot handguns, shotguns and rifles.

Eta: I can think of one exception (a woman who bird hunted with her husband a lot before I ever worked with them and was very familiar with shotguns), but every single other woman has preferred literally any other option over a pump action shotgun. Handgun, rifle, anything. Even that woman liked a semi auto over a pump.
+1,000,000 for Bender.

I know how to shoot a shotgun, but it would be my 3rd choice among a handgun or AR.

Also AR's are easier to load and easier to clear jams vs a shotgun.
alvtimes
1 vote for panzer arms bp-12
Picard
AG
MilanoCowboy said:

The sound of a pump shotgun being racked is going to be enough to scare off most, particularly in the dark.

And there it is!
maverick2076
The only time an intruder should hear the sound of the pump being racked is immediately preceding your follow up shot.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Picard said:

MilanoCowboy said:

The sound of a pump shotgun being racked is going to be enough to scare off most, particularly in the dark.

And there it is!

I bet you didn't realize Biden was on TexAgs
Old RV Ag
AG
nhamp07 said:

Wildman15
AG
Picard said:

MilanoCowboy said:

And there it is!

BINGO!!!!!
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
If you have the budget, and are dead set on a shotgun, I'd suggest a Franchi 28 gauge
agsalaska
AG
OP, on behalf of the OB, I apologize for our desire to lecture instead of just answering the question.

I have had a few different ones in my life, but my current one is a Winchester 1300 defender with a wood stock. Second one I have owned. I used to a Mossberg 500 20 gauge with an 18 inch barrel but I sold it when I got the 12.

Its a really good shotgun.
DatTallArchitect
AG
The commentary (or what you call lecturing) is far more helpful than that market price drivel you love so much
agsalaska
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

The commentary (or what you call lecturing) is far more helpful than that market price drivel you love so much
How you figure? I actually answered his question.

It was also just tongue in cheek.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.