Outdoors
Sponsored by

In the market for a home defense shotgun

5,995 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mm98
Long range Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 20g shotgun I've never shot. If you are interested I'll share the details. Lighter kick than 22g
El Chupacabra
TX Ags OB:

"I need a hunting rifle for deer and hogs at about 100-150 yards"

Answer 1: grab a Ruger American in a common caliber (cartridge), a vortex scope, and call it good

Answers 2-infinity: Well, if you wanna track an animal from Uvalde to Del Rio that's fine. What you need is a 458 Lapua ultra magnum PRC creedmoor made by a custom shop in New Zealand topped with a diamond encrusted Schmidt and Bender. Only shoot hand loads custom fitted to your $26k rifle, loaded by navy seals, and blessed by monks of the Far East.

Likewise with home defense questions. Shotguns with 00 buck just don't work anymore, and apparently modern ones are extremely complex and difficult to use. Custom ARs with lasers and 87,000,000 lumen lights and suppressors and high end Trijicons and eotechs are the only things that kill the modern meth head criminal. Sorry OP.
dubi
AG
Actually my home defense weapon is a well used full size M&P in 9mm (version 1.0).

You can buy new for $600 and the compact version for $500.

Some of us own mere mortal affordable guns.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I assume by this hyperbolic post that the answer to the question I asked you is "I have no experience teaching women to use both".

00 buck is plenty effective. That's not the issue here, as you well know. I was curious if you might have some sort of actual experience to share to back up your statement that the learning curve for a pump shotgun is easier than learning how to shoot an AR, since it flies so counter to my actual experience teaching women to shoot both, but I guess I have my answer to that.

You don't need anything fancy to be effective. A will to win and a rusty spoon can be effective. But as another guy with a 5' 1" petite wife like OP who has taught women to shoot everything from pump action shotguns to pistols and ARs, I strongly disagree with your premise than a pump action shotgun is easier to learn. In my experience, it is substantially more difficult, especially for petite females. But hey, what the hell would I know about it.
agsalaska
AG
You give good advice man.

It's just a funny topic.
El Chupacabra
BenderRodriguez said:

I assume by this hyperbolic post that the answer to the question I asked you is "I have no experience teaching women to use both".

00 buck is plenty effective. That's not the issue here, as you well know. I was curious if you might have some sort of actual experience to share to back up your statement that the learning curve for a pump shotgun is easier than learning how to shoot an AR, since it flies so counter to my actual experience teaching women to shoot both, but I guess I have my answer to that.

You don't need anything fancy to be effective. A will to win and a rusty spoon can be effective. But as another guy with a 5' 1" petite wife like OP who has taught women to shoot everything from pump action shotguns to pistols and ARs, I strongly disagree with your premise than a pump action shotgun is easier to learn. In my experience, it is substantially more difficult, especially for petite females. But hey, what the hell would I know about it.

Never taught a woman. Since 99.9% of people won't spend the time to properly learn to shoot, it really doesn't matter. And since 99.99999999999% of the .1% that do learn will never need there gun outside of the range, it REALLY doesn't matter.

OP asked about a shotgun, not what was the best home defense weapon as perceived by obsessed gun guys.

Carry on.

Original answer still stands. 870 with the ability to add a light.
DatTallArchitect
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Since 99.9% of people won't spend the time to properly learn to shoot, it really doesn't matter. And since 99.99999999999% of the .1% that do learn will never need there gun outside of the range, it REALLY doesn't matter.
This does really go well with your earlier post

El Chupacabra said:

Don't over think it. The learning curve on a shotgun vs AR is much easier.
nhamp07
AG
Long range Ag said:

I have a 20g shotgun I've never shot. If you are interested I'll share the details. Lighter kick than 22g
sure. Why not?

All of it is overwhelming trying to decide what I/she needs. I have my carry permit, own a M&P shield I am good with. I have a Beretta A300 extrema 12g that I inherited that I havent shot yet and maybe this is all we need to be prepared. I think the recoil on that is fine. Its a pretty long gun and heavy though so not too easily maneuverable.

I work some overnight shifts, just want her to be prepared. We need to get an alarm system too.
BenderRodriguez
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Never taught a woman.

I know.

So maybe don't dole out sage advice about which one is easier to learn how to use?
BenderRodriguez
AG
A300 is a soft shooter.

If she can handle the weight no reason to get her another shotgun.

If you're remotely near Bell County yall are welcome to come shoot other stuff as well (AR, full size handguns, even thst super easy to use pump action) to help figure out what might work for her.
El Chupacabra
BenderRodriguez said:

El Chupacabra said:

Never taught a woman.

I know.

So maybe don't dole out sage advice about which one is easier to learn how to use?

Original answer still stands.

Or we could go with armed security manned with former navy seals.
Alte Schule
Besides a security system and motion detector lights a large dog such as a Shepard, Rottweiler, Malinois or the like should be considered. Nothing like a large K-9 sparking off that makes a criminal rethink that maybe plying his trade elsewhere may be the better option.

If you go with a shotgun I would recommend Stoeger SXS coach gun in 20 gauge loaded with 00 or #4 buckshot. The safety, right under your thumb, automatically engages after you close the breach. Easy to release. With 20 inch barrels the recoil isn't bad. Full disclosure I keep a 870 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel loaded with #4 buckshot on standby. Have trained religiously with it but I also have a 12 and 20 gauge Stoeger SXS in the safe.

Also second the recommendation for a AR 15 pistol in 300 AAC Blackout, .223/5.56 or the various pistol
calibers such as 9 mm, 10 mm.

O.G.
When I was an instructor for TDCJ, I did teach a lot of women. Revolvers, shotguns and ARs.

The main thing that MOST women were worried about was the recoil on the 870, even shooting birdshot which is what they qualified with at the range. They'd heard all kinds of stories on how bad it was, mostly from guys running their mouths and making my job harder.

Their biggest issue with the AR was remembering what does what. Most of them only shot once a year for qualifications so, it all goes back to training.

I strongly recommend that you let a professional instructor teach the spouse how to shoot/use/run the weapons system. Dads/Brothers/Uncles/Cousins are cool to shoot beer cans with, but bad for training.

Also, please stop assuming that a woman needs a shotgun or a revolver because they can't operate a semi-auto pistol, or an AR. That is complete 100% BS. If SHE wants a shotgun because that's what she's comfortable with and knows, that's great. More power to her. If its you assuming its all she can use, then YOU need more training, not her.

The shotgun is the tool of the professional,not a blunt object for an ameteur.

Lastly...anyone that believes that just "racking a shell into a shotgun" scares criminals away, has never been around criminals. Meth...its called Meth....
BenderRodriguez
AG
El Chupacabra said:

The problem with your "original answer" is it was based on zero "original experience".

This is why asking for advice online is such a crap shoot. Some people can't just say "I like X, you should get X." No, they have to say "X is easier to learn how to use than Y" to justify liking X, even though they have no actual experience teaching people how to use X and Y.

Just say you like shotguns. No need to make up reasons for why its better. Especially if those reasons aren't grounded in reality.
Well, okay then
AG
El Chupacabra said:

OP asked about a shotgun, not what was the best home defense weapon as perceived by obsessed experienced, knowledgeable gun guys.

FIFY
TRIDENT
AG
Mossberg International SA20 Tactical

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-international-sa-20-railed-pistol-grip-75780/
Lonestar-aught-six
10 gauge is the only respectable answer
TAMUallen
AG
O.G. said:

When I was an instructor for TDCJ, I did teach a lot of women. Revolvers, shotguns and ARs.

The main thing that MOST women were worried about was the recoil on the 870, even shooting birdshot which is what they qualified with at the range. They'd heard all kinds of stories on how bad it was, mostly from guys running their mouths and making my job harder.

Their biggest issue with the AR was remembering what does what. Most of them only shot once a year for qualifications so, it all goes back to training.

I strongly recommend that you let a professional instructor teach the spouse how to shoot/use/run the weapons system. Dads/Brothers/Uncles/Cousins are cool to shoot beer cans with, but bad for training.

Also, please stop assuming that a woman needs a shotgun or a revolver because they can't operate a semi-auto pistol, or an AR. That is complete 100% BS. If SHE wants a shotgun because that's what she's comfortable with and knows, that's great. More power to her. If its you assuming its all she can use, then YOU need more training, not her.

The shotgun is the tool of the professional,not a blunt object for an ameteur.

Lastly...anyone that believes that just "racking a shell into a shotgun" scares criminals away, has never been around criminals. Meth...its called Meth....

The recoil is bad if you're shooting magnum buckshot... There's no disputing that
shiftyandquick
My wife wasn't strong enough to rack the slide on a glock.
dubi
AG
shiftyandquick said:

My hubby breaks in the springs for me. 500 rounds thru the gun and would rack it a few thousand times while watching TV; then the gun would be mine.

Those springs are crazy tight at first!
Old RV Ag
AG
shiftyandquick said:

If you'd only post this on the GB - it really leaves the door wide open for some crude jokes.
Rattler12
Check out the pawn shops, A few years back I found a Win model 12 12 gauge in dam near new condition for $99. Cut the barrel down, removed the plug and voila ...a dagum good burglar surpriser on the cheap.
dubi
AG
home defense shotgun ammo.
Naveronski
AG
El Chupacabra said:

BenderRodriguez said:

El Chupacabra said:

Never taught a woman.

I know.

Armed security with aquatic mammals? Me too!
Love our aquarium. Question, though. Need armor help.

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18 bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and "catch the rounds" while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

CanyonAg77
AG
Which one of you calls in the air strike?
Naveronski
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Which one of you calls in the air strike?

I've considered having my SO use a 870 with 00 as an indirect fire weapon, but she's only 5'1" and 110lbs, so it might be too much for her to handle.
dubi
mm98
AG
I've only fired a handful of shotguns. I have an OU and a mossberg 500a home defense 12ga.

To me they shoot normal but all my friends, including guys much larger than me, say my mossberg kicks more than their 10ga turkey guns.

Anyone else with shot barrel shotguns find that to be true?
BenderRodriguez
AG
I have a Beretta A400 (semi auto 12), a CZ branded turkish gun (O/U 20) and a Mossberg 500 (pump 12).

The 20 gauge O/U CZ is a lightweight field gun and it is more unpleasant to shoot for extended periods than either of the other guns.

Kinda weird how weight, fit, etc matter more than the usual internet answer of "20 is better for recoil sensitive" would lead someone to believe, isn't it?
Silvy
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

But hey, what the hell would I know about it.
Who elected you leader of this outfit
mm98
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I have a Beretta A400 (semi auto 12), a CZ branded turkish gun (O/U 20) and a Mossberg 500 (pump 12).

The 20 gauge O/U CZ is a lightweight field gun and it is more unpleasant to shoot for extended periods than either of the other guns.

Kinda weird how weight, fit, etc matter more than the usual internet answer of "20 is better for recoil sensitive" would lead someone to believe, isn't it?

Yeah, my Yildiz o/u kick fairly hard, and I guess the Mossberg is about the same. Neither strike me as over the top, though.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.