Outdoors
Sponsored by

brisket cook conundrum - need advice

3,209 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
showtime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Had a wagyu brisket on the pellet smoker. Things were going fine. Looked out in about hour 4 and noticed the thermometer was way down. To skip a long story, pellet smoker is not working. While trying to get it fixed, brisket temp fell from 140s to 110s before I gave up with the pellet smoker and got it in the oven.

Is this brisket salvageable?
AgResearch
AG
Probably not but just in case go ahead and cook it the best you can and then give me a call. I'll dispose of it for you.

"Messed up" brisket cooked at home>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Restaurant brisket.

I'm sure it will eat just fine.
MIAGD
AG
Should be fine. Got at least 3 hours of smoke. Finish off in the oven.
CS78
It's fine. Not like it's craft beer or anything.
AgsMnn
AG
Got enough smoke for some flavor. Good to go in oven.

You won't get the bark and all, but still brisket. Just don't Cornyn it.

Also, jealous of you. I want to be smoking and cooking, but I have Covid and can't taste a damn thing or smell it. Worst part about the China virus.
Wildman15
AG
All depends on whether you had the fat side up or down
FunkyTownAg
AG
Instead of dousing it in BBQ sauce if it turns out bad:

Cube it up and use it with any of these recipes:

https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html

(some of the older ones dont have all the specialty chile mixes) We had a catered family dinner from a BBQ place that used wagyu and I used the leftovers in Tom Doziers recipe because I had all the mixes and it was the best chile I have ever had.

Bird93
AG
Feel for you. I'm about three months removed from it. I'd say my taste has returned about 75%, but my smell is still only about 25%. There are a handful of things that I can taste perfectly fine, but they taste nothing like they used to. Good luck with your recovery.
Mas89
AG
My cousin quarantined to his motor home in his back yard while he had COVID. Realizing he had lost his taste and smell, he poured salt out of a shaker into his hand and licked it. No taste of salt. Next he got a bottle of tequila and poured a shot. No smell and it tasted just like water he claimed.
TXAGFAN
AG
Should be fine, but I would have taken it straight to oven if I was having trouble with pellet smoker.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Same... I'm 4 months removed. Smell still heavily off and most fried stuff tastes like it's been bathed in old oil and severely burnt. That didn't develop until roughly 2-3 weeks ago. I've regained a lot of taste but nothing is the same anymore. Loss of red meat lasted the longest and unless its heavily fatty it's still pretty light on the taste side. All
In all I wasn't even sick during it either just like a cruel post punishment lol.
KRamp90
AG
I can't eat pizza anymore. It tastes like plastic. I think China virus did the worst thing but kill me, but still undecided...
agfan2013
AG
Well this turned from a sad thread into a depressing one.

Let me get us back on track: OP, your problem was you used a pellet grill instead of a stick burner!
jpb1999
AG
Well, how did it turn out?

Spane Bohem

showtime
AG
1st - condolences for your taste/smell - I had COVID last summer and never lost taste or smell. I was as sick as I've ever been otherwise, though. My wife lost taste/smell and had no other symptoms.

2nd - If any of you had ever sampled briskets from my stick burner, you'd understand why I was on a pellet smoker. Anything else on my stick burner has turned out great, but for 2+ years good brisket has eluded me. I eventually moved to the pellet smoker for convenience sake. I'm not going to try and argue that it gets the same results - it doesn't - but on 90% of what I cook, it gets the job done satisfactorily.

Onto the brisket - it turned out okay. Didn't have much of a stall. Spent the last two hours watching the point go from 185-198. Probe never went in as easily as I'd have liked. The problem is that during the same time, the flat went from 190-212. I pulled it because I didn't want to obliterate the flat. The flat was a little overdone, but probably saved by the fact it was a wagyu. Point was underdone. It tasted more like a beef roast than a brisket, which I will attribute to the oven and the lack of smoke. We ate the flat and I made chopped beef of what was left over. Which, unsurprisingly, turned out to be the best chopped beef I've ever made.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.
CSTXAg92
AG
What paper did you wrap it with?
Rattler12
Mz R brought some brisket and sausage home from a BBQ place west of San Antonio that shall remain nameless after attending a B day get together with the gals in her biking crew. If this guy cooked this brisket for 12 hours he did it all in heavy smoke and must have used green mesquite. It was hardly edible. So strong and acrid that you could smell it all over the house. The sausage was black with smoke but was a bit more palatable than the brisket but both went into the trash can.....and this guy charges $16 /lb.
AstroAggie15
AG
pics?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
AgResearch said:

Probably not but just in case go ahead and cook it the best you can and then give me a call. I'll dispose of it for you.

"Messed up" brisket cooked at home>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Restaurant brisket.

I'm sure it will eat just fine.
sorry you have such poor bbq wherever you live. No way "messed up" brisket at home is better than my average bbq joint around me. Maybe Dickies. I guess I understand what you are trying to say, but maybe a little too much hyperbole.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.