Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best snake chaps/leggings

2,819 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mhnatt
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or just deal with it with a fast drive to the hospital on the rare case it happens? This fella jumped nearly 3-feet at us as in the gator right where we hunt.

HumbleAg04
AG
I think patent leather dress shoes will be fine.

Danner or Chippewa seem to be most common boots.
1872walker
Thankfully never had to test them, but Turtle Skins are lightweight and comfortable.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Great picture of the kids. Raising them right!
mhnatt
HumbleAg04 said:

Lol, good catch. That was my son's Sunday shoes. He was quite a sharp dressed man. We would drive up to the land after church each Sunday and that particular day we forgot his regular shoes.

I'm wondering if there's some leggings that will work for the two girls who are now several years older and hunt pigs with me at the same spot.
HumbleAg04
AG
mhnatt said:

HumbleAg04 said:

Lol, good catch. That was my son's Sunday shoes. He was quite a sharp dressed man. We would drive up to the land after church each Sunday and that particular day we forgot his regular shoes.

I'm wondering if there's some leggings that will work for the two girls who are now several years older and hunt pigs with me at the same spot.

Haven't seen anything in the market for kiddos. Raising them right!
zooguy96
I'd also say teach them the specific habits of venomous snakes and how to interact with them. Too often, people freak out, and that's why they get tagged.

Most venomous snakes I've interacted with are slow to strike, and in general try to crawl away or sit still once they sense you.
Bird Poo
AG
Just got some of these and they're great. Lightweight and Velcro to your legs. Don't have to change boots when you get out of the field and they last forever, based on the name.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/foreverlast-real-tree-camo-snake-guard-shields
DeBoss
AG
Kids Chaps

Always looked at getting these for my kids. Not sure if it's overkill or not.
rootube
AG
I don't have any footwear advice but that photo is awesome and should be framed and hung in a prominent location in your house.
mhnatt
DeBoss said:

Kids Chaps

Always looked at getting these for my kids. Not sure if it's overkill or not.

Awesome - thanks!
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
rootube said:

I don't have any footwear advice but that photo is awesome and should be framed and hung in a prominent location in your house.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Do you have any idea how bad that pic would make some libs absolutely melt down?!? It hits so many of their most sacred beliefs.
Showertime at the Bidens
PearlJammin said:

Just got some of these and they're great. Lightweight and Velcro to your legs. Don't have to change boots when you get out of the field and they last forever, based on the name.

These
DeBoss
AG
But will those fit kids?
mhnatt
DeBoss said:

But will those fit kids?

One for each kid maybe. But the ones you found are going to be perfect. Thanks for the tip!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
BoozerRed78 has some chaps he'll be glad to model for you.
mhnatt
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Is that the truck toolbox guy?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Don't know about that but he has a picture somewhere of him wearing a pair of chaps with his bare ass showing.
DatTallArchitect
AG
mhnatt said:

One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Is that the truck toolbox guy?
No. You're thinking of BigBen
Ribeye-Rare
AG
PearlJammin said:

Thanks. I went out and bought a pair of these today, as I've been clearing brush along some fence lines in an area with a ton of downed trees and have been one nervous SOB.

I started in January and hoped to be done before it started to warm up but it's taken a lot longer than I planned.

Now if there were some method to keep my dumb ass from bending down to pull up barbed wire in the dirt and rolling logs out of the way. I'm afraid there's no protection from stupid.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
One more thing for you guys who 'know' snakes --

I used the Academy snake guard shields yesterday and they are comfortable. No problem there.

The tops of these measure about 18" off the ground when I'm wearing my steel toed leather boots. Is that tall enough to protect against the stuff I'm going to see in Central Texas?

I figure copperheads primarily, and rat snakes (non-venomous of course) and maybe a rattler now and then. I'm not going to run across any of those 9' eastern diamondbacks or any Indian King Cobras unless some nut releases them from his collection.

Thanks.
BoozerRed78
AG
Quote:

Don't know about that but he has a picture somewhere of him wearing a pair of chaps with his bare ass showing

LOL I'm pretty sure that pic no longer exists
phorizt
Ribeye-Rare said:

PearlJammin said:

Thanks. I went out and bought a pair of these today, as I've been clearing brush along some fence lines in an area with a ton of downed trees and have been one nervous SOB.

I started in January and hoped to be done before it started to warm up but it's taken a lot longer than I planned.

Now if there were some method to keep my dumb ass from bending down to pull up barbed wire in the dirt and rolling logs out of the way. I'm afraid there's no protection from stupid.

I know this is an okd post but Yeah this is why something like 85% of all snake bites occur on the hands/arms.

https://www.amazon.com/Handling-Protective-Puncture-Training-Resistant/dp/B089GWWGJG/ref=asc_df_B089GWWGJG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459641487292&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15564810036269635690&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027220&hvtargid=pla-944042963488&psc=1
mhnatt
Funny this post was revived. I am the OP and just last night the wife and my two girls (shown in the photo), were our working on deer feeders into the dark by the time we finished.

As we drove the gator, out of the darkness a rattler struck along side the gator, hitting the fender area. The rattles were very loud (fast hum, high pitched) and by the time we realized what happened, we were stunned.

Minutes later we continued to drive past this very spot that the photo above was taken several years ago, and saw another rattler curled up.

It was a crazy night. Guess we intruded on their evening cool off dinner time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.