Outdoors
Sponsored by

Armadillo - A Delicacy

5,095 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DeadCiv
CSTXAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok OB. Here you go. A European video journalist tries Armadillo in Mexico and describes it as tasting like, 'a posh, marbled steak'. I never knew what I've been missing all these years!

CSTXAg92
AG
javajaws
AG
You go right ahead, I'll stick to my posh marbled steak!
TwoMarksHand
AG
Hallettsville secret
RustyBoltz
AG
I like to turn mine into ceviche with a 35 Rem
SteveBott
AG
I believe ursus confirmed it's pretty god but we know he will eat damn near anything
f burg ag
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Hallettsville secret
I hear Gary wants it as an additional option to fried chicken and stew at the KOC picnics. But he will spit on your 'dillo steak if you spell Hallettsville wrong.
Strongwind86
AG
Obligatory.... They pay two-fifty down in Hallettsville, 3 dollars, maybe more
mAgnoliAg
GottaRide
S
It's good. It's a very light meat but a little greasy. If you've eaten possum it is very similar. You sure have to work for it, though.
shalackin
AG
Hard pass!!
SunrayAg
AG
Tried it once when I was young. Chicken fried.

I don't remember it being particularly good or bad. Just meat.
JonSnow
9 banded armadillo's can carry leprosy even in Texas.
sodycracker
AG
Roast armadillo and tea cakes with a side of collard greens. That's living
Old Sarge
AG
Back in the early 80s Dad and I got bored on a slow deer hunting weekend and decided to try a couple different things to kill and eat. One cotton tail, and one armadillo. The rabbit would have been pretty good, but could not get the smell of cleaning it off my hands and kept smelling a whiff of it when eating it chicken fried. Another day we tried armadillo. Same style, chicken fried. Grreeeezzzy, but damn sure could it it if it meant not going hungry. Well, pretty darn hungry.
WhoopN06
Pretty sure Ursus served Dillo at his rehearsal dinner.
aggiedata
AG
zarbas77
AG
Victoria held an armadillo festival back in the 70's and had armadillo races, they crowned a Miss Vacant Lot and the food vendors served armadillo cooked different ways. They also served other foods as well as beer, armadillo, other foods, snacks, beer, beer, beer and more beer.

Don't remember much about the taste of armadillo, but with enough beer, you can probably handle anything.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamc91
AG
Back in the 80s there was a obscure western with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey called Barbarosa. They were down on their luck in the desert once or twice and would eat armadillo. Anyone else see that back in the day?
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I've had armadillo a few times. Not bad
sonnysixkiller
AG
San Saba Armadillos
ComfortAg
AG
Armadillos were known as "Hoover hogs" during the Depression in East Texas. It was a source of protein you could catch by hand.
Apache
AG
I caught the second half of it on tv during snowpocalypse.
O.G.
tamc91 said:

Back in the 80s there was a obscure western with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey called Barbarosa. They were down on their luck in the desert once or twice and would eat armadillo. Anyone else see that back in the day?
Not sure I'd call Barbarosa, Obscure. It's better than some of the "westerns" I've seen lately.
Apache
AG
The movie plot was actually very good. The acting & production were less than stellar.
This is a movie I would not be upset if it was remade with a bigger budget & some decent actors.
zooguy96
It's basically snail rat. I don't think that combo would taste good.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Apache said:

The movie plot was actually very good. The acting & production were less than stellar.
This is a movie I would not be upset if it was remade with a bigger budget & some decent actors.
I don't do movies on the big screen much at all, but I would stand in line for that. Loved Barbarosa
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
It is even more intriguing when served with a side of Hansen's.
CyanideJenkins
AG
ComfortAg said:

Armadillos were known as "Hoover hogs" during the Depression in East Texas. It was a source of protein you could catch by hand.
I remember my grandfather telling me stories about things he would shoot and eat during the depression. The one that stuck out the most to me was that his favorite thing to eat was possum. He said it was the tastiest.

BoerneGator
AG
"Possum on the half-shell"
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Hallettsville secret
I clicked only for this..
B-1 83
AG
CyanideJenkins said:

ComfortAg said:

I remember my grandfather telling me stories about things he would shoot and eat during the depression. The one that stuck out the most to me was that his favorite thing to eat was possum. He said it was the tastiest.

My dad said he never ate 'possum, but remembers one of his grandmothers had one in a cage feeding/"cleaning it up" when he was a kid during the depression
Aggie12B
AG
zarbas77 said:

Victoria held an armadillo festival back in the 70's and had armadillo races, they crowned a Miss Vacant Lot and the food vendors served armadillo cooked different ways. They also served other foods as well as beer, armadillo, other foods, snacks, beer, beer, beer and more beer.

Don't remember much about the taste of armadillo, but with enough beer, you can probably handle anything.
Didn't they also advertise armadillo as possum on the half-shell?
Cromagnum
AG
Mmmmmmm, leprosy.
1990AG
AG
BoerneGator said:

"Possum on the half-shell"
I ate possum at the cafe at the crossroad in Douglass once....ONCE...

Stew...it still makes me want to yak even thinking about it today....It was probably 1983 or 1984....

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.