Outdoors
Sponsored by

Electric provider

9,749 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agent-maroon
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really sure where to post this...especially to get eyes and opinions so I decided here since my house afterall....is outside.

I am currently with Reliant and looking to switch electric providers. Who do yall recommend? Ive been with Reliant for proabbly a decade, basically as long as ive been paying bills in the Houston area.

Thanks in advance
combat wombat™
AG
We use Griddy and pay market price for electricity... it works for us, but won't work for everyone

We pay Griddy a $10/month "membership fee".

Our lowest all-in rate was $0.068 per kwh June 2020 and our highest was $0.172 in August 2019; even so, our electric bill that month was $545.

My average all-in rate since joining Griddy in June
2019 is $0.094.

My average kwh per month since June 2019 is 1985. There are 5 people in our family and I work from home.
OnlyForNow
AG
Whoever is cheapest.

Reliant doesn't supply your power, center point does.

everyone else is just a middle man making a buck, reliant isn't the cheapest but probably not most expensive either.

Get on power to choose .com and check who has the lowest rates.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I do have to say I am a bit apprehensive with who is now in office and how he has handled the first week....not sure if the pay as you go style is the best bet...thoughts?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Whoever is cheapest.

Reliant doesn't supply your power, center point does.

everyone else is just a middle man making a buck, reliant isn't the cheapest but probably not most expensive either.

Get on power to choose .com and check who has the lowest rates.
thank you, wasnt sure where to go to search around across "middlemen" as you say
Bird Poo
AG
Energy Ogre.

Aggie owned company that automatically signs you up for the cheapest provider every 6 months to a year. Well worth the $10/month fee they charge for this service. Everyone I've referred has saved at least 30% on their bill.
combat wombat™
AG
PearlJammin said:

Energy Ogre.

Aggie owned company that automatically signs you up for the cheapest provider every 6 months to a year. Well worth the $10/month fee they charge for this service. Everyone I've referred has saved at least 30% on their bill.

I have a freeze on our credit, so this doesn't work for us since some providers will run credit checks.
JSKolache
AG
Who ever energy ogre signs me up for. I honestly don't know.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
JSKolache said:

Who ever energy ogre signs me up for. I honestly don't know.
any idea what about you pay in say july? and what your usage was?
merl99
AG
Energy Ogre for me as well
javajaws
AG
http://powertochoose.org/
agcrock2005
AG
javajaws said:

http://powertochoose.org/
Was about to post this. I've been with TXU forever and when my electric bill was over $400 a couple months ago I got on here (after family member recommended) and did simple search. Called TXU and said I was leaving for competitor that was charging X per kWh (what was shown on this website) they offered the same and signed me up so I didn't even have to change. It just gives you a lot of leverage with current provider if you want to stay, or options of who to use if you want to leave. Good luck.
Strongwind86
AG
Energy Ogre.
It's worth it for me not to deal with trying to find the best rates when renewal comes up.
Been with them for several years
Strongwind86
AG
Just looked at my statement from Energy Ogre

For July 2020 - was on a 12 month plan with Our Energy (Now Frontier Utilities)
July 2020 was my peak month. 3,640 kWhr at 9.72 cents
RebelE91
AG
https://www.texaspowerguide.com/

I've found Texas Power Guide to be slightly better than power to choose. You'll need to input your actual power usage from one of your bills. But that's easy to find and do.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
good info
zooguy96
Dang, glad I don't live in Texas any longer. Our highest electric bill has been $150 (winter), course, our house is medium sized, and it doesn't get very hot here, but it does get a little colder here, and we keep the heat on 71-72.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My winter bill is usually $80... this December/January was closer to $150 which is why I give up on Reliant
agcrock2005
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

My winter bill is usually $80... this December/January was closer to $150 which is why I give up on Reliant
Might be as simple as doing a 3 minute search of your zip code on power to choose website, looking at rates, calling reliant and saying you're leaving for these rates. Most likely they'll lower your rate to something comparable and you don't even have to change.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For the moment Im looking at the energy ogre route. I talked with them yesterday and liked the idea and that with using them you are sill locked into a rate most of the time anyways, I thought it was more month to month.

When I was talking with Reliant a few days ago I flat told them I thought their rate was unacceptable, especially for a 24month plan and someone who has been with them a decade. The guy said "well I quoted you the best that I have" So I said then I will look elsewhere and the rep said ok and closed the chat....
alamogeorge
AG
Every San Antonian: "Choose your electric provider? Next you are going to want to choose which grocery store you shop at."
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Another vote for energy ogre. $120/year and I probably save at least a grand per year and don't have to think about it.

It works like a food dehydrator from an early 90s infomercial. "JUST SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!"
combat wombat™
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I do have to say I am a bit apprehensive with who is now in office and how he has handled the first week....not sure if the pay as you go style is the best bet...thoughts?
Well, I am under no obligation to stay with them; I can change at any time. However, my husband and I decided that we are happy paying the market rates and would rather not sign contracts to "lock" in a rate and then end up paying way more than we need to. Particularly since we signed one of these contracts with someone and then ended up paying nearly $0.20 per kWh for a little while before we realized what had happened after the contract ran out... entirely our fault for being asleep at the wheel.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Another vote for energy ogre. It is so easy to go check your potential savings. Just take a recent bill and go to www.energyogre.com/r/cru and use their savings calculator and they will let you know what they can save you.
tom59
AG
What's best for College Station, 77845 zip?
El_duderino
You're either on CSU or BTU.
howdyags12!
AG
tom59 said:

What's best for College Station, 77845 zip?
College Station Utilities opted out of competition so you don't have a choice of electricity suppliers.

CSU Chose Not To Deregulate
Cities with publicly owned municipal electric utilities are allowed to evaluate their position and make a decision to opt-in or delay entering the competitive market. College Station Utilities is a locally-owned municipal utility and decided not to opt in to the program at this time.
“The seeds of defeat are sown on the night of victory” Elon Musk
tom59
AG
Thanks!!
txag2008
AG
There is no best answer. What may be the perfect plan/company for one may be awful for the next. You have to look closely at the electric facts label available for each plan and take into consideration your monthly usage across the year.

Things to keep in mind:
--Base charges
--Plans with minimum usage fees
--Usage credit if you use more than XXX and/or less than XXX during a billing cycle.

Most people will point you in the direction of powertochoose.com, but it doesn't do a very good job of actually helping people select the best plan for them.

I would highly recommend www.awesomepowertexas.com. It does require that you register your smart meter so that your historical data is accessible and able to be used to run a rate simulation against all available plans. Another good site is www.texaspowerguide.com as mentioned above.
Ogre09
AG
Energyogre.com is a monthly subscription service. For $10 a month they will analyze your past usage, shop around for the best rate, sign you up with someone, and make sure you never go out of contract. If you have ever gone out of contract, you see how your bill doubles. That alone in my mind makes it worth it.
mosdefn14
AG
combat wombat said:

Well, I am under no obligation to stay with them; I can change at any time. However, my husband and I decided that we are happy paying the market rates and would rather not sign contracts to "lock" in a rate and then end up paying way more than we need to. Particularly since we signed one of these contracts with someone and then ended up paying nearly $0.20 per kWh for a little while before we realized what had happened after the contract ran out... entirely our fault for being asleep at the wheel.
Anyone with Griddy want to share what prices they've been seeing the last few days? I heard they sent an email out last week basically saying "please cancel our service before the weekend and come back later".
combat wombat™
AG
It was over $8/kwh earlier today. I'm more concerned about this week than I was during the August 2019 spikes. This week I'm likely to have 5 people at home during price spikes whereas in August '19 it was just me and kids/ husband were off at school.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
The easy way to check your plan out is go to www.energyogre.com/r/cru and use the savings calculator on the website with a recent bill. You may already have a great plan, but that will let you know.
combat wombat™
AG
I just switched away from Griddy to a short-term Reliant plan to get past the next week.

They send another e-mail today and it was pretty alarming.

Quote:

Prices are looking to stay at record rates over the next couple of days due to the polar vortex. Your well-being is more important than our bottom-line. Unless you are a Griddy energy-saving expert, we recommend you immediately switch to another provider due to these price surges.

To Switch:
  • You do not have to contact Griddy to switch to another provider. Enroll with a new provider and they will switch you over.
  • Switch immediately. REPs do not process same-day switches after 3pm on Saturday. Otherwise, you will be able to switch on Monday.
  • Here are some recommended plans to switch you over to today: https://www.griddy.com/post/how-to-switch.

We will be here for you once this crazy storm blows over. Stay warm, stay safe!

Best,
The Griddy Team
Mr. Frodo
AG
I stickied this before ice-agedon bc I was interested.

Ok, so are these guys all still in business?

Just went on energyogre and they project some legit savings.

Anybody have any issues during the storm bc they are on one of these "non traditional" type plans?

I feel like one of those guys in the progressive commercials on this ... was I hash tagging?

Been paying a lot of money to TXU for years. When they started asking me if I wanted $400 Visa card for being such a great customer ... something seemed a little off.

Would love to hear more testimonials.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.