Outdoors
Sponsored by

Well, the hog trap worked

6,230 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by birdman
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a novice at this, but followed instructions for how to build a figure C hog trap to thin out the rascals that are tearing up my land.

Nine pigs in the trap this morning

They hear me coming up the trail

Six sows and three males

Figure C trap design, works as advertised

This was pretty simple to install. About $250 for the cattle panels, t-posts, and other supplies. Roughly four hours of work for two men.
txaggie02
AG
Love the c trap concept. Great way to catch a whole sounder. That's the only way you are going to put a dent in them.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
How many panels did you end up using?
AquaCasaAg
AG
Use a front end loader to push in the t posts and it won't take as long.
MemphisAg1
AG
I think it was five panels. 20 foot diameter trap. Overlapped the panels about three feet for more strength. Panels on the inside of the posts, except for the hinge post. Really glad we built it strong because those hogs were running full speed into it trying to get out. Held up well.
highvelocity
AG
So is the trick, that last panel panel is loose so they can shimy passed and then it kicks back and locks them in?
MemphisAg1
AG
highvelocity said:

So is the trick, that last panel panel is loose so they can shimy passed and then it kicks back and locks them in?
Yes, that's how some folks do it.

When I set the trap, I pulled that last panel against that last post and tied a weak string from the panel across the trap diameter to another panel. In that model, the "door is open." Put a pile of corn on the ground past the string; the hogs break the string easily and the last panel slams shut because it's under tension.

Here's a pic of what that looks like (although here I've wired the last panel to the last post to purposely not catch anything; will be awhile before I need to set it and check again).

cap-n-jack
I'm going to do this. Our creek bottom is overrun with those bass tards. What do you guys use for bait?
AV8ORAG84
AG
Corn, diesel soaked corn, jello ( strawberry ) all work great. Just put packet of jello powder on corn.
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
MemphisAg1
AG
cap-n-jack said:

I'm going to do this. Our creek bottom is overrun with those bass tards. What do you guys use for bait?
Corn. Have a feeder in the trap, and initially dumped a trail of corn leading into the trap to entice them. Left the trap open for a week or so, and when I could see on the game camera they were getting comfortable with it, I set the trap.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice job! Did you keep the door wired open a while to condition them before you set it? (Edit: i see that you answered that) Another strategy for a trigger is to take a 10 or 12" stick and use it to prop the door open about 18" off the ground. The idea being that the little piggies will come in freely and inspire confidence, then when a big one squeezes it's way in and/or is tall enough to bump the stick (or there's a traffic jam of little ones that bump the door and dislodge the stick) allowing the door to close behind them
Post removed:
by user
TAMU77CLAY
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
Will a new sounder fall into it or does it have to be moved?
aTm '99
txaggie02
AG
A new sounder will go into it. We trapped 6-7 in one a few years back, killed them all in the trap, and caught 6-7 more just a couple days later.
RVAg02
AG
Digging this back up. With the string holding the door open, does the first hog not spring the trap and you only catch one?
Whitetail
AG
Hogs love soured corn. Corn and water in a barrel left our for a week in Texas gets pretty stinky. Hogs love it.
Bottlerocket
AG
Memphis, can you post a link to your trap design?I also need to do this
RCR06
AG
RVAg02 said:

Digging this back up. With the string holding the door open, does the first hog not spring the trap and you only catch one?

I think you tie the string to the opposite side of the pen, not the opening. Not sure if I can explain it well. You have over lapping sections of fence panels. The inside section of panel is held away from the outside section of panels by a string. When it's sprung the inside panel will touch the outside section of panels and create a complete circle. Someone mentioned propping it open with a stick or piece of wood that could also be a trigger device.
birdman
If you put the trigger towards the back, you can get more than one in there before it closes.

With a Figure 6 trap, the pigs outside can always push their way in, even it's closed. But they can't nose it open from the inside.

I would recommend digging a hole inside the trap. Just use a pole hole digger make it two feet deep. Put the fermented corn in there. It is harder for them to eat all the food. And it works them into a frenzy and the other pigs want in there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.