Outdoors
Sponsored by

Northern New Mexico - 2/21

812 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gomerschlep
gomerschlep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

The old lady is wanting to get away in mid February and found a pretty great place in between Sante Fe and Taos that we can rent. It looks to be one plenty of land, and not inside of and national or state parks. The owners said they don't really hunt but don't care if we do... So, what's good up there this time of year? What's in season? Are there good public land hunts also somewhere in this area? It looks like maybe Bighorn Sheep or Elk from what I've heard? We're going for about a week. Anybody got anything to add?
BrazosBull
AG
I suggest you start out by checking out the hunting seasons in New Mexico and tag requirements .
Player To Be Named Later
AG
BrazosBull said:

I suggest you start out by checking out the hunting seasons in New Mexico and tag requirements .

What he said. It isn't like you just show up and hunt. You're going to have to draw a tag, and I'm not sure what even be in a season for February.

You'll have to try drawing a tag for late '21-early '22
Mas89
AG
Go fishing instead. Open year round. Just take your pole. And buy a license.
ABCDE
Mas89 said:

Some nice pike to be caught in the Rio Grande in that area. Very underrated fishery with not much pressure at least it used to be. Haven't fish it in a decade.
CanyonAg77
AG
Mas89 said:

Unless you go to a reservation with their own fishing. Picarus Pueblo used to have a trout pond.
cupofjoe04
AG
Noting in season in late Feb that I know of. It's after all big game, and before Turkey. It doesn't matter if it's private property or not- you can't just show up and hunt without a tag. Most tags require a draw. Many draws require pure luck of the lottery to draw. Especially big horn sheep. I'm not exactly sure how BHS tags work in NM- but many people apply for 20+ years for a ram tag in most of the country.

Go fishing. That area has some great trout fishing, and a license can be had OTC (over the counter).
gomerschlep
AG
So yeah, I went and looked at the state website shortly after I posted. Looks like unless I stumble upon some Javelina (which I doubt) I'm fishing. Somebody mentioned Pike? Where would I find those?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.