Outdoors
Sponsored by

Research Paper on guns in modern warfare

1,943 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Get Off My Lawn
daniel00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son is doing a research paper on guns in modern warfare. He may include larger weapons as well, but only weapons carried by soldiers. We have had a hard time finding helpful reputable resources. Do you know any books or other resources that would be useful that he could use for research and citing? Thanks!
Buck Compton
AG
daniel00 said:

My son is doing a research paper on guns in modern warfare. He may include larger weapons as well, but only weapons carried by soldiers. We have had a hard time finding helpful reputable resources. Do you know any books or other resources that would be useful that he could use for research and citing? Thanks!
What types of info is he looking for? What's the general topic of the paper?
RGRAg1/75
AG
Small arms only? GWOT to present being modern or something else?
swampstander
AG
Modern Small Arms

Cartridges of the World

Worldwide Equipment Guide

Foreign Weapons Handbook
JonSnow
The Gun by CJ Chivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-C-J-Chivers/dp/0743271734

This is an incredible book.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Vickers Guide
daniel00
AG
Thanks for the replies so far! In answer to questions, he's describing guns used by the military and the specific use of each gun. Only guns currently in use, but writing on their history, usage, any stats, etc.
daniel00
AG
US military only. To narrow the field of discussion.
SMM48
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_individual_weapons_of_the_U.S._Armed_Forces

You'll see "in active service"

Each weapon provides info
Old Sarge
AG
Some sideline reading for your Son should be the book Unintended Consequences. Long, but good history of the "gun culture" in the United States and a good fiction piece about one man's mission to set the record straight.
malenurse
AG
Listen to any Kevin Owens' podcasts
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Shoot Ian McCollum an email. He's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.
Vae Victis
DatTallArchitect
AG
If he can use interviews, there might be some members of different military branches on here that would help.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Play call of duty modern warefare
UTExan
It's a lot of ground to cover. May I suggest narrowing the topic to one rifle type? The most interesting is the evolution of the AK to the Finnish Rk62, which the Israelis copied and produced the Galil to probably the best version, which is the South African R4 series. Just my .02.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
ConstructionAg01
AG
JonSnow said:

The Gun by CJ Chivers.

Thanks! I'm now listening to this and it is great!
AgEng06
AG
UTExan said:

It's a lot of ground to cover. May I suggest narrowing the topic to one rifle type? The most interesting is the evolution of the AK to the Finnish Rk62, which the Israelis copied and produced the Galil to probably the best version, which is the South African R4 series. Just my .02.

Fantastic idea if he wasn't focused on US military only...
Picard
AG
I'd make the assignment a lot more fun by tweaking the topic to something Demolition Ranch has already done
VegasAg98
AG
Check the YouTube channel Small Arms Solutions with Chris Bartocci.

He wrote Black Rifle 2 and has a heck of a resume as a modern small weapons historian.

This guy knows everything there is to know about the evolution of the m16 to the m4, the SCAR program etc.

He's super dry to listen to but awesome and he's based in Montgomery, Texas.
VegasAg98
AG
Dp
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Forgotten Arms would also be a great YouTube channel, though it might be a bit addictive for the youth - could be safer to wait until he's discovered girls...
Get Off My Lawn
ConstructionAg01 said:

JonSnow said:

The Gun by CJ Chivers.

Yeah, the author does a marvelous job laying out the history and then completely botches his conclusion. (He posits that the world will become a better place when all of these personal firearms (AK-47s) deteriorate... after hundreds of pages working through the history and butchery of how improved killing tools always replace the old.)
VegasAg98
AG
Really? Think I'll pass on this one then. Wow.
UTExan
Get Off My Lawn said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

JonSnow said:

The Gun by CJ Chivers.

Yeah, the author does a marvelous job laying out the history and then completely botches his conclusion. (He posits that the world will become a better place when all of these personal firearms (AK-47s) deteriorate... after hundreds of pages working through the history and butchery of how improved killing tools always replace the old.)

I love that book, but the author fails to realize that better weapons than the original AK are out there and will be around for probably a century. In the US alone we have 20 million plus modern sporting rifles (ARs and AKs) which are quite durable.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Get Off My Lawn
You got me wrong - it's definitely worth the read. He just mucks up the last 20 pages when he switches gears from history to opinion. Up until then it's a fascinating walk through all of the steps that culminated in the mass production of the AK-47.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.