Outdoors
Sponsored by

Govt puts down oldest Yellowstone bear on record (34yo)

3,532 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/grizzly-was-oldest-documented-in-greater-yellowstone-area/article_2bdc24e7-760b-5f16-86ad-ac43181a7031.html
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy learning more about bears.
Quote:

"It's not 100%, but based on the genetic evidence we have, there's a likelihood that he bred as a 31-year-old male," Thompson said.

Quote:

"You'll skin them and there's like terrible bruising, but there's no real punctures," Thompson said. "They have so much strength in their jaws they can kill an animal by basically gumming it."

By the time Turnbull trapped the male bruin, he was down to an estimated 170 pounds, with three bulbous nubs for canines and no other teeth at all. Grizzly biologists use a 1-to-5 body condition score when they capture animals in the Yellowstone region.

"On the form, it was written zero," Thompson said.
STX Ag
AG
Damn that's cool.
WC87
AG
Biden already destroying Yellowstone.

JSKolache
AG
Jeez they captured it 3 different times? Why don't they just leave them alone...
YellowPot_97
AG
JSKolache said:

Jeez they captured it 3 different times? Why don't they just leave them alone...

They captured him way more than that. How do your think science is done? The dude lived to 34 obviously it didn't hurt him to be captured.
ursusguy
AG
Very cool.

Yeah, it is not that unusual for a research bear to get caught that often
SanAntoneAg
AG
A freaking G n R reference in an article about an ancient grizzly.
Gig 'em! '90
ccard257
AG
Quote:

It's not 100%, but based on the genetic evidence we have, there's a likelihood that he bred as a 31-year-old male
me too old bear, me too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Have you ever been apart of giving a bear a lip tattoo? Sounds really cool and really terrifying (even when they're tranquilized)!
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
There have got to be better ways to get your kicks
ursusguy
AG
Yes, I have lip tattooed bears and Key deer.
shiftyandquick
I kinda feel bad for the bear that he didn't get to die on his own terms, naturally, even if it would be "harder."
Bird Poo
AG
JSKolache said:

Snowflake epitomized.
ttha_aggie_09
jsdaltxag
shiftyandquick said:

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/grizzly-was-oldest-documented-in-greater-yellowstone-area/article_2bdc24e7-760b-5f16-86ad-ac43181a7031.html
I don't see where the govt put him down??

Can you confirm. It looks like he was trapped, tranquilized and let go.
Frozen Concoction
jsdaltxag said:

shiftyandquick said:

I don't see where the govt put him down??

Can you confirm. It looks like he was trapped, tranquilized and let go.
It's in the article.
Quote:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's grizzly bear recovery coordinator, Hilary Cooley, made the final call to euthanize the withered grizzly, which was old enough to be dealing with sensory deficits. Relocating the animal, even though he had avoided known conflict for decades, "wouldn't have been the right thing to do," Thompson said. The 34-year-old grizzly drew his last breath on July 30, 2020.

"It was sad that we had to put him down," Thompson said, "but ethically there was nothing else that could be done."
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's grizzly bear recovery coordinator, Hilary Cooley, made the final call to euthanize the withered grizzly, which was old enough to be dealing with sensory deficits.
Jack Squat 83
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Quote:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's grizzly bear recovery coordinator, Hilary Cooley, made the final call to euthanize the withered grizzly, which was old enough to be dealing with sensory deficits.

I bet PETA takes her off their Christmas card list.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Gilligan
AG
Covid death...
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Well that's one less **** in the woods. Glad he had a long life.
jsdaltxag
Thanks for clarifying.

By the looks of his mouth, he was probably in poor condition. Not many teeth left and those looked rotten. I'm sure the guy had a great life.
ABATTBQ11
AG
He was a bear among bears. A true bear's bear.

rather be fishing
AG
I was a zoom call with a USFS biologist Wednesday and he was telling us about a bear they tracked through the Cabinet Mountains where we live (Idaho/Montana border) that died at 37.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Grizzly or Black bear?
rather be fishing
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Grizzly or Black bear?

Grizzly. They first trapped her back in the late 80s if I remember right. I think she only had cubs 7 or 8 years and then was just solitary. Not sure if that's normal, maybe ursus can chime in.
JSKolache
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

JSKolache said:

They captured him way more than that. How do your think science is done? The dude lived to 34 obviously it didn't hurt him to be captured.
My bad, i sure didn't think it was that invasive. Maybe a tag and a retrieval or something. I like the idea of wild predators roaming around, but at some point it seems like a thumb is on the scale if humans keep effing with them over, and over, and over. I mean did they catch him every year and throw him a birthday party? At some point that blurs the line between wild and glorified pet.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.