Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garage window covering

1,505 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jpb1999
GentrysMillTX10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We moved into our current house in April 2020. Didn't take the time to clean up the window in the garage. It had obviously been neglected since the house was built in 2014. I'm now getting around to cleaning it up...

Blinds don't belong in a garage, especially white ones. They will always be dirty amongst other issues. I'm thinking of some one-way tint to put on the windows. I want it so no one can see in from the street, needs to look good from the street, would like to block some heat, and low maintenance.

What's the TexAgs outdoor board solution??
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Solar screens?
tsuag10
AG
I agree with solar screens.

Try posting this on the Home Improvement board too.
Roger That
AG
You have more push brooms than anyone I know.
Bird93
AG
Aluminum Foil
Picard
AG
Animal pelt curtains

GentrysMillTX10
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Solar screens?

Thought of that but then all other street facing windows would need solar screens to match. More of an investment than I want to make just to solve this problem
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Roger That said:

You have more push brooms than anyone I know.

My dad recently retired. One of those brooms he handed down. The new broom was one of those deals when he found a broom he really likes and thought everyone needs one to match his
Watchful Ag
AG

New Boot Goofin
AG
Personally not a fan of how solar screens look. For aesthetic solutions, really your only options that look good (again, my opinion) is having them tinted or even wide plantation shutters. They would be easier to clean than blinds but definitely more expensive. You can still see through the tint but less than if they were not tinted. I think tinted windows look good. What area are you located? Precision Windows in Dallas is who we use and recommend to our clients.

EDIT: Precision Windows doesn't do the tinting themselves, they refer to Amersol out of Richardson, TX.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
You can buy window tint for this purpose. I did that in my garage
bam02
AG
I have a similar garage window in our new house (moved in in September). It was missing blinds altogether, but still had brackets. I went ahead and replaced them with new blinds because that window faces the street and now all the window treatments match when looking at the house. They're dirty and stay dirty but it isn't noticeable from the outside.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Fix it the blinds you already have?
MIAGD
AG
I put frosted tint on the windows of our garage in our previous house. Looks nice and keeps people from seeing inside. I bought a roll at Home Depot, cut it to size, and used a scrapper to get the bubbles out while applying it.
Bird93
AG
Use a white roller shade with about a 3% openness. You'll still get some natural light, but it will completely obscure visibility to the inside. Also, it's operable so you can fully raise it for additional light anytime you want.
FIDO 96
AG
Don't change it. Keep them consistent with the rest of the house.
Old Sarge
AG
ATXAdvisor said:

Fix it the blinds you already have?
Why? It makes the house look "lived in" and not so stuffy like the others in the neighborhood.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Update: I called a solar screen company at the recommendation of this board to get a quote...because, what the heck, a quote is free.

$415 to install solar screens on all street facing windows. That's 5 large windows, 4 half moon windows, and 6 tall narrow windows. Most neighbors have solar screens already on their street facing windows - so now we'll all match.

Highly recommended Lonestar Solar Screens so far. Called them Friday and they were at my house Saturday. A neighbor is who recommended them.
CactusThomas
AG
Aluminum foil
Picard
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

Update: I called a solar screen company at the recommendation of this board to get a quote...because, what the heck, a quote is free.

$415 to install solar screens on all street facing windows. That's 5 large windows, 4 half moon windows, and 6 tall narrow windows. Most neighbors have solar screens already on their street facing windows - so now we'll all match.

Highly recommended Lonestar Solar Screens so far. Called them Friday and they were at my house Saturday. A neighbor is who recommended them.

So....no leg lamp then? It's a major award.
jpb1999
AG
We put up blackout shades on ours. From the outside, it just looks like the refelction of the window and you don't notice them...

Spane Bohem

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.