Outdoors
Sponsored by

Public Squirrel Hunting

3,629 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SW-14
Warsteiner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son wants to go. Anyone hunted Sam Houston? Opinions?
River Bass
I've hunted in the sam houston national forest for squirrels several times.
Its harder hunting than areas of private land I've hunted. I've been skunked several times.
You've got to find some hardwoods, set up early, and sit still and quiet.
When squirrels see you walking they wont move for about 15 minutes so you need to wait them out....unless you have a trained dog.
Its probably better to hunt in October or November than now.
I'd use a shotgun for really quick shots.
AgDad121619
AG
Haven't squirrel hunted it , but I found a killer spot in the Angelina that I walked up wood ducks in . Big hardwood bottom - I hardly make it over there anymore so I can share the spot with you - let me know if that is reachable for you and send me your email if interested
Warsteiner
I've heard Angelina is pretty good
dubi
AG
Our backyard under the bird feeder!
Warsteiner
Lol
Yeah, mine too. It's just not as fun as being in the woods
Gilligan
AG
Have 5 pecan trees. I've shot more than I'm willing to post and it doesn't make a dent.

90% Eastern Grey and 10% Fox Squirrels

No season or bag limit in my county, but check the TPWD website for where you plan to hunt.

I use a Gamo Whisper with subsonic pellets.
Warsteiner
Gilligan said:

Have 5 pecan trees. I've shot more than I'm willing to post and it doesn't make a dent.

90% Eastern Grey and 10% Fox Squirrels

No season or bag limit in my county, but check the TPWD website for where you plan to hunt.

I use a Gamo Whisper with subsonic pellets.

I'm told grey's are better for frying
Warsteiner
forgive the apostrophe.....
Skillet Shot
In general, the further you get from population centers and the further you walk from the entrance the more game you are likely to see. Hope you have enough ammo.

We are going with squirrel dogs on our place this weekend and I can't find any 12 gauge ammo locally. Looks like I'll be shooting 7-1/2 shot lead, don't want to waste my steel duck loads.
Warsteiner
I generally like a .22 this time of year
maddiedou
AG
Skillet Shot said:

In general, the further you get from population centers and the further you walk from the entrance the more game you are likely to see. Hope you have enough ammo.

We are going with squirrel dogs on our place this weekend and I can't find any 12 gauge ammo locally. Looks like I'll be shooting 7-1/2 shot lead, don't want to waste my steel duck loads.

Probably to late. Where are you located
maddiedou
DDSO
AG
Two weeks ago on private land and with a dog. It was my sons first squirrel hunt. We got 13 or 14. Not bad for 2.5 hours.
SW-14
AG
It's been several years, but I never had any luck at Sam Houston. Not sure which direction you're coming from, but when I was a student at A&M I had some luck at #607 - Luminant and #1121 - Lake Somerville SP-Nails Creek.

Interactive Map of Public Hunting Areas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.