Outdoors
Sponsored by

Setting up an AR-15 - Kevin P Owens

6,470 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgLA06
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For a lot of you who have never owned AR15s until recently here is a video of 3 special operations veterans and how they set up their rifles and why. The part where one ask if the 5.56 is a powerful enough round made me laugh. Garand has spent a lot of time on a one way range, the SEAL a decent amount on 2 way ranges, and Owens has decades of special operations experience being Irish special operations, contracted in Africa, and USA Green Beret, part in SMU.

txyaloo
AG
Kevin always makes for an entertaining interview.

His deadpan line in this video of "I've killed a lot of people with 5.56" made me chuckle.

His interview with Mike Ritland is well worth a listen

malenurse
AG
"I've killed a lot of people with 5.56" followed by laughter.....

Awesome!

Dammit! txyaloo beat me
John Cocktolstoy
" I was in uniform before you were liquid form "
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
RK
AG
Phenooominal [/Kevin Owens]
P.U.T.U
AG
I learned more about the IRA and Ireland in general from that interview than from some books.

Ritland says he is just a knuckle dragger but he is one of the best interviewers out there. He lets people talk but calls them out on their BS while remaining respectful.

I trust people with actual experience vs a lot of the guys who have only been on a one-way range. Owens has been doing this since the 80s
RK
AG
his africa stories are wild.

kevin hosted a podcast with todd hodnett that was really interesting.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm transitioning over to LPVO+red dot on a couple guns, it really is an awesome "do it all" set up.

If you're not doing any multigun stuff or .mil stuff, I still think just a red dot is a really, really great set up for 99% of what you'd use an AR for as a regular citizen.

But the combo is pretty damned nice.
AgLA06
AG
Is your red dot offest?
P.U.T.U
AG
Agreed, especially on a short barrel gun. I have a magnifier but most of the time it has stayed in my pocket.

If you are going to use an AR for hunting and home defense the LPVO is awesome but requires a good amount of practice to shoot quickly. The offset red dot makes it quick and you can get a decent one without breaking the bank. I am waiting on funds to switch over my 6.8s over, doubt I will change my 5.56s since they are setup for short work.
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgLA06 said:

Is your red dot offest?

Yes on one, the other is top mounted for NV use.
tate504
AG
Dumb question but how hard was it to sight in the offset? I'm assuming you just sight it in via bench resting it at that angle?
AgEng06
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AgLA06 said:

Is your red dot offest?

Yes on one, the other is top mounted for NV use.
Can you post a pic of these setups?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Ill try to get that done this weekend.

Working on possibly buying a house and all the fun that entails so a little busy this week.

And for tate, yes, zero with the optic in the position you're shooting it from. Otherwise POA/POI would be off just like when you shoot a regular optic zeroed normally from a canted position.
EMY92
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I learned more about the IRA and Ireland in general from that interview than from some books.

Ritland says he is just a knuckle dragger but he is one of the best interviewers out there. He lets people talk but calls them out on their BS while remaining respectful.

I trust people with actual experience vs a lot of the guys who have only been on a one-way range. Owens has been doing this since the 80s
My grandfather was in the IRA a hundred years ago. He grew up along the border of what would become Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The IRA paid him a pension in the 50s when he was dying of cancer.

However, he would not have been happy with the IRA of the 60s-80s. It became a Marist organization that was a puppet of the Russians.
bam02
AG
I watched about half of that because I find those guys and their experience interesting, but they weren't talking about anything that might be practical to 99% of AR owners. They are talking about clearing rooms and immediately switching to sniping targets at 500 yards.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm working on getting tape switches/white light/wiring routing reworked on this one so it was easy to grab. I'll take a picture of the more traditional offset this weekend if I remember.

A couple caveats on top mount: its great for NV use. Really meh compared to offset for literally everything else. Yes, the turret on the scope is in the way. Its a red dot, thats fine.

RMR06 on a Reptilia mount sitting on top of a Nightforce NX8 in a Geissele Super Precision mount.

If I wasn't setting this up for NV use, I wouldn't be using a top mount dot. Ill try to grab pics of the other one tomorrow.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I agree. For most folks, red dot+white light+sling=done.
javajaws
AG
Bender what m-lok cover is that you are using?
cledus6150
AG
This is my recently put together SBR, I have since moved the light a bit more forward and think of making it canted. As when the Hybrid is on the gun it blocks a lot of the light!
Checks Out
AG
Bender or anyone else who knows, could you explain why the top mount RMR is superior to offset red dot for NV? I'm green on NV use but would like to get into it in the future. Have a recce w/ LPVO setup I wanted to add a red dot to at some point and this could potentially factor in.

Thinking about it more, assuming It's just to only have vertical offset to the IR laser to worry about at varying distance.
BenderRodriguez
AG
javajaws said:

Bender what m-lok cover is that you are using?

Slate black
BenderRodriguez
AG
I wouldn't say its superior, an offset works too. But higher is easier to get "behind" under NV. You can get higher offset mounts and scope mounts, but since I already had a lower scope mount I liked, decided to try a top mount with it.

And you still have horizontal offset with most every IR laser I know of, including that one. The unit is mounted on top of the barrel, but the actual IR laser is on the side of the unit, not directly on top of the barrel.

Competing theories on intersecting vs parallel zeroes to deal with inherent vertical and horizontal offset. Good arguments for both, but I prefer parallel.
SMM48
AG
Bench it. Target at 25 yds.

Not looking at moa accuracy as rmr adjustments are half an inch at 100 yards. Looking more for minute of man.
SMM48
AG
You really won't be using the red dot with Nv. Not if you have ir laser. You'll be over the gun.
SMM48
AG
Look like railscales

Railscales.com
BenderRodriguez
AG
FunkyKO said:

Look like railscales

Railscales.com

Nope. Already asked and answered.
SMM48
AG
Awesome.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Grabbed the other one and took a couple shots from behind too.

Romeo 5 mounted on an Arisaka mount at 45 deg. The Arisaka mount is awesome. You can buy a bunch of different top plates for RMR, T1, almost any footprint you can think of. They all mount to the same base, can be set up at 35 or 45 deg angle and you can buy regular or high mounts to match height of primary optic.

Mine is mounted at 45 due to interference issues with the optic if I mount at 35. Really like 35 deg offset more, but work with what ya got.

From behind:

The 12" Grendel with top mount rmr from behind:

Hope that helps. Agree with the other guys that a simple normally mounted red dot is easier and better for most things you're going to use an AR for, but the offset is much, much faster than adjusting the LPVO if you need magnification at times (alternative option is a red dot+magnifier, which is also a decent way to do it).

Don't set yours up like theirs just because that's how they do it, but its an option worth considering if it would be helpful for how you shoot.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome, thanks!
AgLA06
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

(alternative option is a red dot+magnifier, which is also a decent way to do it).

I have a red dot currently on my blackout. As it's my primary home defense I'm not interested in a scope so a magnifier might be interesting as I'll occasionally take it for pigs or while turkey hunting. Is it always magnified or can it be turned off or dialed down?

Any suggestions on the budget friendly side. Not looking for high magnification.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.