Outdoors
Sponsored by

Inventory Counting project - need some help finding what i need

4,703 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by highvelocity
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started a rifle sling company last year and things are starting to take off a lot faster than anticipated. I have 100,000 feet of material coming in and i'm trying to figure out the best way to keep track of material inventory. Back in my oilfield days we had chemical fluid counters to tell us how many gallons were used during a frac stage - i'm wanting to do the same idea here with my inventory where a roll of inventory has a counter on it and as its used it tells me how much material has been used out of the roll

we are not to the point where i want to implement an ERP system and from what i've seen the above idea will be the best manual solution for now

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

if you want the website link, shoot me a message. didnt want to get in trouble for advertising

Thank you!
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
AgEng06
AG
I don't have any ideas on your question, but I sent you a PM on the slings.
highvelocity
AG
just as good in my book! let me know if you have any questions on anything or any feedback!
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
DeWrecking Crew
We used to use an Olympic Instruments Cable Measurer 1700, I'm sure they have other models that would fit your need

Edit: I just looked on their website, checkout the Model 1900-3
Mathguy64
AG
Assuming your material is in a roll, rest something like this on top.

MrWonderful
AG
Have no prior experience, but something like this?

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bulk-rack/reel/global-heavy-duty-wire-meter-1-capacity

A.G.S.
AG
If ya have the capex to invest, you could get something like the following:
rope meter

Unless you get a counter for every roll though, it would require manually updating tallies though, and would most likely be only slightly faster than doing manual measurements.

Alternatively, if your BOM's are fairly well defined, and if you can streamline manufacturing by having a few standard lengths that you cut the cordage to, you could precut them in batches, and store them as units of "EA" instead of units of "IN" or "FT". Your order volume would determine whether or not that is an efficient strategy though, as it could lead to waste if certain color combos don't get ordered as much.

Edited to add: If you dont have one yet, I highly recommend a heated cutter like the following:
https://www.mcmaster.com/cord-cutters

helps make clean cuts that won't fray as much on 550 cord and nylon webbing, without having to do a follow up step with a heat source.
highvelocity
AG
that cutter looks awesome and thank you for the advice, that is helpful!
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
AtlAg05
AG
Is it one roll of 100K? Or broken up into smaller rolls?
highvelocity
AG
smaller rolls, its about 20 different colors of material broken up into equal lengths.

im thinking building a rack of some kind for reach roll then feed into its own counter kinda deal
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
O.G.
textar4404
If you want a rough measurement, you can always use a simple calculation based on material thickness, inner roll diameter, and outer roll diameter.

Here's an example of an online calculator that will give you the length that is left on the spool.

https://wieland-metalservices.com/coil-calculator/

Just put in any random material and with of strip. The only pieces of data that you really need are material thickness (assuming it is uniform), the inner diameter of the roll, and the outer diameter of the roll. This will then calculate and give you the length of material still on the roll.

Edit to add: Best part of this method is you don't have to buy anything other than a tape measure.
will.mcg
AG
why not have a tag on each roll? Every time you cut a length deduct it from the total.
highvelocity
AG
this will be the last ditch effort. with the magnitude of orders coming in, i dont want to have to keep track of the number of slings that came from each roll that particular day.
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
O.G.
highvelocity said:

this will be the last ditch effort. with the magnitude of orders coming in, i dont want to have to keep track of the number of slings that came from each roll that particular day.
So pardon my ignorance, but how do I find your company?
A.G.S.94

We sell fluid hose assemblies where we cut various hose types to length. Even though we do have an MRP that allows us to set up rudimentary assembly BOMs, we still have to do cycle counts every few weeks

That said, I may be oversimplifying (I am no sling expert), but I would think for each specific part number (which would capture things like color, material type, hardware type, etc.) you would have a specific material sling material length.

If you set those attributes up against a given part number in a simple spreadsheet, you could get a pretty accurate estimate of the length of material used over a given time frame. The benefit is you could run quick reports on which slings are selling the most while you wait to set up your ERP/MRP.
will.mcg
AG
Yeah it's simple but somewhat tedious. What about those little clickers Home Depot uses to measure feet when you buy a length of bulk rope?
Aggiemike96
AG
1. Measure diameter of roll.
2. Measure diameter of core.
3. Subtract #2 from #1 = amount of material.
4. Periodically repeat #1 and #3 to estimate how much material was used and how much remains.
5. Profit???

This isn't exact, but will give you an idea of usage.
RK
AG
A.G.S. said:

If ya have the capex to invest, you could get something like the following:
rope meter

Unless you get a counter for every roll though, it would require manually updating tallies though, and would most likely be only slightly faster than doing manual measurements.

Alternatively, if your BOM's are fairly well defined, and if you can streamline manufacturing by having a few standard lengths that you cut the cordage to, you could precut them in batches, and store them as units of "EA" instead of units of "IN" or "FT". Your order volume would determine whether or not that is an efficient strategy though, as it could lead to waste if certain color combos don't get ordered as much.

Edited to add: If you dont have one yet, I highly recommend a heated cutter like the following:
https://www.mcmaster.com/cord-cutters

helps make clean cuts that won't fray as much on 550 cord and nylon webbing, without having to do a follow up step with a heat source.

We used similar measuring/cutting/heating devices when I worked at REI back in high school for climbing rope, webbing, and cord. Worked well.
BCStalk
We typically do weight on rolls of materials. If it's on a spool, we subtract the spool weight or use a blank to zero the scale. To cut rolled materials, we get equipment from these guys. It auto feeds and cuts to length.

https://sheffieldcuttingequip.com/products/hot-cold/
alvtimes
agrams
AG
got a link or sample pics? i'm curious what you have!
highvelocity
AG
A few for you

www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
bam02
AG
I had to buy a couple hundred feet of thin steel cable from HD recently and they have a hand-cranked machine that measured and spooked as it cranked. Just a thought. Didn't look too expensive.
highvelocity
AG
Www.atxstraps.com
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know what to order
AnScAggie
AG
https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/olympic-1430-wire-and-rope-measurer-feet-inches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInpiC97yp7gIVlt7ICh3EqA33EAQYAiABEgKv2PD_BwE

Something like this is what you are looking for. Do I win a free sling?

ETA: Should have been the laughing emoji
TH36
You make one that would be good for packing a rifle around in the mountains? Comfy in other words.
highvelocity
AG
yes, it'll get released before the end of this month. i've been messing with it the past couple months to make sure its good to go. picture below of what it'll look like. very comfy

www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
highvelocity
AG
one of everything would be a good start
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
highvelocity
AG
yeah.. i like that. little pricey, but definitely seems like an excellent option
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
wtmartinaggie
AG
You can put together a pretty workable system with excel in a few hours. I'd be willing to help you if you want.
highvelocity
AG
I have one started I'm gonna play with. What's your email? I'll send it to you for feedback
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
78_Pacecar
AG
As stated earlier, if your BOM's are set you could start batch cutting the bulk rolls and then have an Ea. inventory part number. At that point a simple Kanban system would allow you to track you fast movers, as well as signal when more of a specific roll needs to be ordered.

Not sure where you're located, but I'd be willing to assist in setting something like this up. If you can set up a Kanban system then even the booger pickers off the street won't be able to mess up your inventory.
jeremy360
Why not use a scale?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.