Outdoors
Sponsored by

SIAP - Browning/Winchester brings a NEW cartridge for the debates!

3,728 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
DrEvazanPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Get Off My Lawn said:

schmellba99 said:

Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Isn't this pretty much a .270 WSM?!
But why all the buttsoreness with a new round development?
Primarily: interchangeability and availability.

I'd have most of my bases covered with firearms chambered to .308, 5.56, .45ACP, .22LR, & 12ga. I could restrict myself to those and fill a 30 gun safe without duplicating each weapon's capabilities. And I could find multiple variations of each of those rounds which expand each of those weapons' functional limits.

I don't need a boutique round taking up shelf space, creating the possibility of chambering the wrong cartridge, increasing incompatibility, or making things more complicated for those who will inherent my guns. Would I turn down another gun if it were free? Of course not. But if it doesn't equate to a game-changing performance upgrade, then I'm just not incorporating unnecessary complexity into my arsenal.

I'm more worried about it taking up shelf space at the store when Winchester could be producing 223, 308, 9mm and 45
texrover91
AG
texag_89 said:

Wonder if they were trying to copy a little - if nothing but the name alone - the old wildcat 7mmSTW?

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ammunition_7mmstw_071207/83576

So many old calibers out there that have been forgotten or not found any longer.

That's what came to mind for me as well

Always wanted an STW
JHShipley
AG
texrover91 said:

texag_89 said:

Wonder if they were trying to copy a little - if nothing but the name alone - the old wildcat 7mmSTW?

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ammunition_7mmstw_071207/83576

So many old calibers out there that have been forgotten or not found any longer.

That's what came to mind for me as well

Always wanted an STW

Built a .257 wildcat off the STW. That's a fun gun. Nothing like seeing smoke pour out the exit hole of a downed animal.
texrover91
AG
That sounds like a lot of fun actually
schmellba99
AG
I think,what is lost in the development of cartridges lime these is that we are finally seeing an era where rounds are being developed wit hunting as the primary purpose of the round, or F class shooting, etc.

Every single,round that we live and die by today ia, for lack of a better description, an adaptation of a military round for hunting. Do theybwork? Obviously. But are they the best design for hunting applications? Not hardly.

5.56 - military round adapted for hunting.
.308 - military round adapted,for hunting.
.30-06 - military round adapted,for hunting.
.45-70 - military round

Hell, the only one that is a true popular round that wasnt a military round that I can think of is the .30-30.

Every major round is essentially some adaptation of a .mil round for hunting.

These newer rounds are purpose designed, and that is a good thing IMO, even if they never develop the following that a 100 year old round will.
mt3950
AG
HSEAG13 said:

Won a Christensen 6.5 prc, now I'm wishing we would've seen if the the gun store would've allowed us to swap it for the same model but a "normal" cartridge that we already have. But then again, how else are they going to convince consumers they need something to else.

Want to sell it?
JSKolache
AG
schmellba99 said:

I think,what is lost in the development of cartridges lime these is that we are finally seeing an era where rounds are being developed wit hunting as the primary purpose of the round, or F class shooting, etc.

Every single,round that we live and die by today ia, for lack of a better description, an adaptation of a military round for hunting. Do theybwork? Obviously. But are they the best design for hunting applications? Not hardly.

5.56 - military round adapted for hunting.
.308 - military round adapted,for hunting.
.30-06 - military round adapted,for hunting.
.45-70 - military round

Hell, the only one that is a true popular round that wasnt a military round that I can think of is the .30-30.

Every major round is essentially some adaptation of a .mil round for hunting.

These newer rounds are purpose designed, and that is a good thing IMO, even if they never develop the following that a 100 year old round will.
Most Texas deer weigh less than nazis, so if it works...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.