Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Breed Recommendation

7,488 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jtp01
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All dogs shed like crazy. Some have bigger and more visible hairs than others, some dogs' coats hold in shed hairs until they are combed out.
SteveBott
AG
Yep my poodle sheds but his coat catches it. So you groom or it mats up
BoozerRed78
AG
Golden Retriever. Quite possibly the most human/family friendly breed of dog out there.
Shayboy3
S
My lab sheds but she is the absolutely the best dog I have ever had. It is probably because she was obedience trained which i think is the key. I really think she completely understands everything I tell her, lol
Just a great family dog and the wife loves her as well.
ToddyHill
AG
I was going to recommend a Cavapoo, which we 'adopted' about a year ago. Hypoallergenic, 24 pounds, and get along great with my 6 and 4 year old grandkids. Only problem, they have super separation anxiety. Hopefully, he'll chill by the time he turns 2.
Bird93
AG
If the family wants a small dog, you absolutely cannot beat a Yorkie. They don't shed, they're not typically yippers, usually pretty chill, only bark when you want them to bark, class A snugglers, not super needy, think they're way bigger than they are, etc.

Bonus, I've had my current Yorkie for nearly 6 yrs. in all that time I've seen exactly two of his turds in my yard. They just magically vanish.
MarylandAG
Nothing to add as you have gotten good advice so far. I had Boxers growing up, fantastic dogs. Two Christmas's ago we decided to get a dog after a long time being without one. I wanted a boxer but lost the battle to my daughter and wife...we ended up with a pug. He sheds like crazy, is small but feels like a ball of muscle when you pick him up, and I was surprised at how athletic he is, not the dog I wanted at all but now he is my best friend and I can't imagine life without him. His name is Puck, he knows I'm the alpha, he thinks he is second in the pecking order and thinks the rest of the family is beneath him. He is a funny dude!
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'll add that I've had dogs my entire life. Everything from Chihuahuas to Springer Spaniels. The most challenging breed I've owned was no doubt a full blooded Jack Russell. He gave us a run for our money. He'd attack any dog no matter the size. We loved him and he passed away a year or so ago at the age of 15.

The absolute best dog I've had? They're all great dogs, but some dogs are more enjoyable to be around. I'd have to rank my Vizsla as the breed I'll stick with from this point forward. She's a great dog. Has some attitude but is gentle. She's also an excellent bird dog. She's by far and away the smartest dog I've ever owned. Look at a Vizsla before you decide.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
yell_on_6th st
AG
Best dogs we've had are rescued mutts, all shapes and sizes.
oragator
This one:

rangelady
AG
TheAggiesAreWe03 said:

https://indulgeyourpet.com/flat-coated-retriever-dog/

I'm partial to a flat coat retriever, what we have now. But, I think they may be hard to find. We were lucky and adopted him as a puppy and had no idea what he was (had never even heard of a flat coat retriever). He's about 65lbs and does have a lot of hair. He just turned 11 yesterday and surprisingly didn't really shed much at all until the last 6 months. Btw, the article above is very accurate. We have two young kids and he is excellent with them...and anyone that comes to visit for that matter.

We rescued a flat coat retriever and i loved that dog like no other....and I have had a lot of dogs. She died two years ago in a vehicle accident at the ranch. She was 7. I still cannot talk about it. Yours is beautiful!
Aquin
AG
Ok, you have all had your say. Now let me solve the problem. You should get a rough collie....a Lassie Dog. They do come in a variety of sizes. I have the large one and she weighs about 65 pounds.

First, every kid should have a dog. My dad bought me a collie when I was about seven. I slept with that dog for about a week. We became inseparable. I had her for grade school, jr. High and all of high school. What you really should consider, given the temperament of your kids what is the best dog to make memories with.

I have had cockers, German shepherds, mutts and border collies.

For twenty plus years, while ranching, I bred, raised and trained border collies. Without question they are the smartest bred and by no small measure. I disappointed a lot of city folk because I would not sell a border collie to them. Yes, I know you are a jogger. Border collies need more of a challenge than running in a straight line. They need a job, challenges and variety. Great dogs and I miss them all. A year ago our last border collie from my ranching days died. I did not consider getting another one because I don't have a cow herd anymore. This, I would not qualify.

Little jappy dogs drive me nuts. I recalled my collie and started looking. To my surprise, there are not that many breeders in Texas. Texas has a lot of border collie and gr. Shepherd breeders. The few collie breeders were raising show dogs and I did not need a show dog. The bred is a true companion dog. They have enough energy to keep up with kids and to entertain them. They have no odor. Very smart and affectionate. Plus they are beautiful. People frequently stop me just to get a closer look or to pet her. I know there are some nice looking breeds out there. But when I bring her to Petco, all eyes are on her.

Let's talk about shedding. Do not be mislead. Single coated short haired dogs shed. A friend has a shepherd and a golden retriever that keep his floors dusted with hair all the time. A collie is double coated, as are the border collies. She is a long haired dog and admittedly when she has her annual shedding you could build a small pony. However, she does not shed much the rest of the year. If you are willing to wait a hour or so for your wife to put her lips on, a two week shedding is not much of a hill to climb.

Dog hair can always be an issue. Go to a beauty supply store.....I know you have been there. They have a machine that sucks up hair. You sweep it up and put it in front of this contraption, hit a button and it sucks it up. My friend with the two dogs finally got one and it made things easier. I have not because the problem covers such a short time span.

If you are interested in a collie. Look up Colleycollies. They are outside Little Rock. Her website is very good and has a thorough discussion about the breed and is very helpful. That is where I got our dog and I am very pleased.

Dogs complete us. Hope this helps.

Claytond1195
AG
My dog will be having puppies soon. Both parents are very small Australian shepherds.
OaklandAg06
AG
Our awesome blue heeler rescue died a little over a year ago, and I am getting close to wanting to have a dog again. I have similar requirements/things I am wanting in my next dog, and I am strongly considering a standard schnauzer.

If anyone knows a standard schnauzer breeder in North Texas, let me know...
rootube
AG
Claytond1195 said:

My dog will be having puppies soon. Both parents are very small Australian shepherds.

Following. Looking forward to pictures soon.
mosdefn14
AG
I had a similar quest 5-6 years ago. We finally found a mutt that doesn't shed, is very sweet, calm, and plays well with kids/babies. Mom was a golden retriever and dad was a standard poodle.
WhoopN06
mosdefn14 said:

I had a similar quest 5-6 years ago. We finally found a mutt that doesn't shed, is very sweet, calm, and plays well with kids/babies. Mom was a golden retriever and dad was a standard poodle.

This mutt sounds extremely expensive.
HouseDivided06
AG
Potentially interested in this as well. Pics of the parents?
Claytond1195
AG
I'll be posting here whenever it's time to send them to new homes
Claytond1195
AG
The mom is on the left in the first picture.

Dad is the second picture.
jtp01
AG
Mutt. They will be loyal like you wouldn't believe. We had a blue tick for most of my sons young lives. Shortly after she passed this showed up as a stray.

She is an awesome little dog. Borderline so ugly she's cute. Shortly after she showed up we took her to the vet got her all of the necessary shots. Now she rules about 1300 acres. And she is a KILLER. She brings dead rabbits and birds to the doorstep ALL OF THE TIME.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.