Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Breed Recommendation

7,492 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jtp01
jbanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I'd ask the OB because y'all know stuff.

I've never been a dog owner. Now my wife (former dog owner) and kids really want a dog. They've been hinting at wanting something really small (I heard teacup and chills ran down my spine). Trying to head this off at the pass.

If I were to consider getting a pooch for the family, it would need to be good with kids, not tiny, and hopefully doesn't shed much. What breed would y'all recommend that would have these traits? A rescue is not out of the question either.
zooguy96
I had a border collie/collie mix that was a sweet dog and great with kids. That can be variable, though.

Lab?

I know you said no shedding, but a Golden Retriever would be a great dog.
Ulrich
I was going to say lab mix but mine turns 2 pounds of food into 2 pounds of poop and 4 pounds of hair.
Furlock Bones
AG
jbanda said:

I've never been a dog owner. Now my wife (former dog owner) and kids really want a dog. They've been hinting at wanting something really small (I heard teacup and chills ran down my spine). Trying to head this off at the pass.

If I were to consider getting a pooch for the family, it would need to be good with kids, not tiny, and hopefully doesn't shed much. What breed would y'all recommend that would have these traits? A rescue is not out of the question either.

Lakeland Terrier. Little to no shedding. Small but with a feisty personality and can stand up to rough and tumble children.

First dog we had growing up.
Muzzleblast
Big = Golden Retriever

Smaller = Aussie Shepherd.

Adopt a rescue and you'll not be disappointed.
Watchful Ag
AG
Smaller sized goldendoodle. No shed and sweet as hell.

Labs are amazing but you'll be walking on hair for the next 10-15 years.

This was Winston as a pup.
wtmartinaggie
AG
we got a chesepeake bay retriever and he's great. requires time to train though and he's stubborn. probably too big for what you're looking for. yogi is a flush/retriever and i actively hunt with him. if you're not into that kind of stuff maybe look elsewhere.

two of my family members have labradoodles and they sound perfect. they are pretty well balanced, playful but small enough to not cause chaos. they also don't shed. great family dogs, love games and swimming. they can be a bit standoffish to strangers. not aggressive by any stretch.
Get Off My Lawn
Kids ages? If young, you'll want a breed that takes abuse and doesn't herd em around. I'd recommend a boxer as a family dog, but labs are popular for many of the same reasons.
jbanda
AG
Kids are 5 and 8.
Tejas Ag 10
AG
jbanda said:

Boykin spaniel. Great hunting dog but also a great family dog that has limited shedding. They are knee high and largest males get are 40-45 lbs. do a little research on them. If you like what you read I have a great breeder in Texas that I could send you the info to.
agsalaska
AG
Goldendoodles of course.

We have bread goldendoodles for 11 years. I do not know of a better all around dog. My three are all totally awesome. Smart, loyal, very friendly, soft mouths, usually do not shed, great with kids, etc.

If I was going to pick between a golden retriever and a standard poodle I would get the standard every time. Standard poodles are fantastic dogs.
javajaws
AG
Small - Yorkie
Not quite as small: Miniature Schnauzer.

Neither shed.
Soother
AG
Do any family members have allergies? May want to look into breeds that are hypoallergenic.
Rattler12
Border Collie ...smart dog, easily housetrained, good with kids, don't shed much and number 1 maybe is they don't stink.
bam02
AG
Dachshund
CBarrett12
AG
I also would echo the GoldenDoodle recommendation. We have our 2nd golden, and have two kids 6 and 2 and he is great with them.
f burg ag
AG
Agree on Golden doodle. Have had many breeds and muts, but Tally is easily my favorite. Very, very kid friendly.
f burg ag
AG
Rattler12 said:

Border Collie ...smart dog, easily housetrained, good with kids, don't shed much and number 1 maybe is they don't stink.
Incredibly smart, but our border collies shed like crazy.
C1NRB
AG
Inside or outside?

Our first dog was a 13" beagle. No papers but he was 100%. Good outside dog because liked to run and play.
Second dog was a dappled dachshund w/ papers. He stayed outside, but as a kid we had a dachshund that was 50/50 inside/outside (summer/winter).

Both our dogs were really smart. Being a psyc major helped, but I won't take all the credit. I taught both to do nonstandard tricks- get a drink, go inside their house, retrieve throws (easier w/ beagle). Beagle liked to catch frisbee style throws. I used toilet seat covers instead of plastic because it was easier on his teeth. Bought them bulk for $1 each on sale at Walmart.
Short haired breeds, so no shedding probs.
WestTexasAg
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Smaller sized goldendoodle. No shed and sweet as hell.

Labs are amazing but you'll be walking on hair for the next 10-15 years.

This was Winston as a pup.

This! We have a one year old goldendoodle. She is awesome. Great family pet. Does not shed.
Jason C.
AG
Same kid situation as you and, if you're set on something in the medium-to-larger size range, I'd have gotten a goldendoodle in a heartbeat but for some unique size considerations. (We travel a lot and needed something carry-on size; our Shih Tzu might be the greatest dog of all time - he is absolutely sturdy enough to hang with the kids and he's really smart, but then he can also sleep on the couch next to you all day if that's what you want.) Honestly I'd recommend Shih Tzus 100% if you don't have a particular breed you're looking for.

If we still want a bigger dog when we stop traveling, we'll likely get a goldendoodle when traveling slows down.
Jason C.
AG
Another plug for Shih Tzus - they don't shed and are not all pathetic little lap rugs. (Though they can be if that's what you want.) They are also smaller and eat less food and take up less space; think about where you'll keep their food, their crate, and also imagine a turd you can pick up with a couple of pieces of toilet paper and flush (ours still uses puppy pads). Some of these bigger dogs being recommended on here are basically a homeless man that craps in your yard.

If your wife is looking at weird little seizure-ridden teacup creatures, a Shih Tzu would be a great landing place to avoid all that.
ftworthag02
AG
Boston terrier.
Aggie118
AG
Whatever you do, do NOT get a small dog. Go with medium or large. We've had many dogs and in our experience the small ones have always been the worst. I realize this is painting with a broad brush but we have always LOVED our medium to large sized dogs. Just my $.02.
McInnis
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Kids ages? If young, you'll want a breed that takes abuse and doesn't herd em around. I'd recommend a boxer as a family dog, but labs are popular for many of the same reasons.
We had a boxer when our kids were young. They're gentle, funny but good watch dogs. You could put ours in the front yard and before long every kid in the neighborhood would be hanging on him.
proc
AG
Labradors. I've had four over the years and they were or are sweet to all kids. Even kids they had never met.

Now, they are also lovers of all foods they have never met, so your kids will lose some snacks over the years.

I freaking love labs.
AlaskanAg99
AG
How much time will you spend with the dog? If you get a working breed, they have to be kept busy. Else people ***** they're "hyper " and destructive.

We have 3 German Shepards. They're loud as hell, shed like they get paid and run up big vet bills. However, I sleep very well at night.

They also Excell ar turning kibble to poop.
Tejas Ag 10
AG

FIDO*98*
AG
For a small dog look at a MaltiPoo. My mom has one and she's awesome. One of the few small dogs I've been around that doesn't bark at shadows
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
https://indulgeyourpet.com/flat-coated-retriever-dog/

I'm partial to a flat coat retriever, what we have now. But, I think they may be hard to find. We were lucky and adopted him as a puppy and had no idea what he was (had never even heard of a flat coat retriever). He's about 65lbs and does have a lot of hair. He just turned 11 yesterday and surprisingly didn't really shed much at all until the last 6 months. Btw, the article above is very accurate. We have two young kids and he is excellent with them...and anyone that comes to visit for that matter.

Mas89
AG
Don't worry about the shedding. Get a yellow lab. Such an awesome pet that you won't mind the hair.
Gunny456
AG
Have had Labs and German Shepherds for many years. 2 good couple friends of ours got Goldendoodles.... both are spastic barkers and scared of everything. But lots of folks like them.
We keep our lab in the house and have very little shedding issues. He is not an English lab though, maybe that makes a difference.
I like lab personalities. Ours has never so much as growled at anyone in 8 years.
Lots of good dog breeds. Get whatever touches your heart.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We had three Cairn terriers. Great dogs and fearless. Don't shed much either.
Gunny456
AG
This.
AgBQ-00
AG
Schnauzers are awesome little dogs. They also come.in different sizes. Cairn Terriers are great small dogs. Have had both in the family and both are great dogs. We have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels now and a golden they are awesome dogs too. They all shed to some extent though.

A non shedding dog that I have never owned but have known a couple is a poodle. Several sizes to choose from the ones I've known were sweet and smart
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.