Outdoors
Sponsored by

For Sale: 6666 Ranch

12,696 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JD05AG
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hate to see the old ranches go away.

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/6666-ranches-up-for-sale-says-lubbock-brokerage-firm

Quote:

KING COUNTY, Texas )KVII) After 150 years under the ownership of the Burnett family, the three properties of the 6666 Ranch are up for sale, according to Lubbock brokerage firm Chas. S Middleton and Son.

Sam Middleton, the broker handling the sale, said Tuesday the ranch is being sold in accordance with the will of Anne Burnett Marion, the owner who died in February of 2020.

Marion was the granddaughter of legendary Texas cattleman Samuel Burk Burnett, who founded the 8 ranch at age 19 with 100 head of cattle, before expanding operations into the Texas Panhandle.
The flagship Four Sixes Ranch in King County boasts 142,372 acres, with over 140,000 being native pasture and 1,000 acres for cultivation.

The land comes along with the original family home on the property, built in 1917 and still standing today.

Middleton and Son lists the asking price for the flagship property at $192,202,200.

The Dixon Creek Ranch Division, which stretches into both Carson and Hutchinson Counties, itself contains over 114,000 acres of land
dead zip 01
AG
Middleton has listed most of the iconic ranches of the rolling plains in the last few years. Swenson, Waggoner, Matador, now the sixes. Bummer.
GarryowenAg
AG
Such an iconic brand.
harleyds2
AG
Agree. A good friend was a relative of the owners of the Waggoner ranch when it sold. He had no ownership
normaleagle05
AG
Quote:

The flagship Four Sixes Ranch in King County boasts 142,372 acres,

I wish the continuing education folks would explain precision to brokers.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
$341 million, surely Barnes will at least make an offer. Or at least his latest sock will tell us he did.

Kinda sad to see it sold.
marcel ledbetter
I believe it was the Waggoner ranch that had a wagon wheel ceiling light suspended above the table where the ranch hands took their meals. When WW2 started and the hands would go off to war, they'd hang their spurs on the wagon wheel and come back and get them when they returned home. There were still several sets of spurs hanging there from men who never made it back. I remember reading about it somewhere but it's been years ago.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Quote:

This was a story for ABC 7 in Amarillo. I'm not sure I follow your heartburn over precision/significant digits here.

I'm genuinely curious.
Silky Johnston
Don't worry, some billionaire chinaman will purchase it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

I believe it was the Waggoner ranch that had a wagon wheel ceiling light suspended above the table where the ranch hands took their meals. When WW2 started and the hands would go off to war, they'd hang their spurs on the wagon wheel and come back and get them when they returned home. There were still several sets of spurs hanging there from men who never made it back. I remember reading about it somewhere but it's been years ago.
Wow. I'd never heard that. That's touching as hell.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Ain't that the truth.
BrazosDog02
AG
Ranches don't pay for themselves. Unfortunately land of that size just doesn't work anymore unless you can do something else with it. This is exactly the kind of thing I wish could be purchased with tax dollars and turned into pubic land. I don't want the family to sell it but if they've decided that's what they have to do, then it's going to be cut up into developments anyway.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

if they've decided that's what they have to do, then it's going to be cut up into developments anyway.

Unlikely. These properties are pretty isolated, dry, and not much use, except for cattle. Some small parts will be developed, but the vast majority will probably still be ranchland in 100 years.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Asian American, please.
CanyonAg77
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I remember a few decades ago when the Japanese economy was booming, and Japanese were buying real estate. Then their economy went bust and they went away.

Perhaps the same thing will happen with the Chinese.

I could say more, but this is "Outdoors" not "Politics".
CanyonAg77
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

Asian American, please.

Who said it would be an American?
O.G.
Sad to see this.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
I'm not doubting you. I just wanted to quote the Big Lebowski.
ToddyHill
AG
When two of my daughters went to Tech, I'd drive back to DFW on 114, in part to pass by the 6666 ranch. Great memories.
TarponChaser
Silky Johnston said:

I could be wrong but I think the last number of large ones for sale definitely didn't go to foreign owners. I know Stan Kroenke bought the Waggoner.
Prune Tracy
CanyonAg77
AG
I've seen that song play out.

I've also seen third gens doing great, also seen fourth gens that pick up the ball that 3rd gen dropped.

It's true often enough to agree with the song. But it ain't true a lot, as well.
confucius_ag
AG
Visited there with Dr. Hesby in '96 or '97
AgAE
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I don't want the family to sell it but if they've decided that's what they have to do, then it's going to be cut up into developments anyway.
You obviously have not been to Guthrie.
Hewey Calloway
AG
My mind went to this one...
normaleagle05
AG
SWC Ag said:

normaleagle05 said:

Quote:

This was a story for ABC 7 in Amarillo. I'm not sure I follow your heartburn over precision/significant digits here.

I'm genuinely curious.

I assume that number comes to ABC from the broker who probably got it by adding up the CAD's numbers. Who knows where those came from.

As a surveyor I typically come to ranch/recreational land sales after the contract has been inked. Everyone seems to expect that 640 acre survey from 1849 to actually be 640 acres and they've put a lot of effort into their negotiations based on those kind of assumptions. Those are terrible assumptions and I don't see many sales/brokerage agents educating their clients to that fact before I show up and completely alter everybody's picture of reality.

I find a lot of properties over a couple acres to be ~1-3% different than the call even for a psuedo-recent survey. When you start talking about original surveys out of the sovereign and stacking them together I'd expect 3-6%. Start throwing in serious title defects that might be found by the first survey since 18** and I'd be unsurprised to see a double digit percentage difference in area. Maybe twice.

None of the above may be the case here. I'm not involved with the sale. But I don't believe that acreage.
Prune Tracy
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

I assume that number comes to ABC from the broker who probably got it by adding up the CAD's numbers. Who knows where those came from.

As a surveyor I typically come to ranch/recreational land sales after the contract has been inked. Everyone seems to expect that 640 acre survey from 1849 to actually be 640 acres and they've put a lot of effort into their negotiations based on those kind of assumptions. Those are terrible assumptions and I don't see many sales/brokerage agents educating their clients to that fact before I show up and completely alter everybody's picture of reality.

I find a lot of properties over a couple acres to be ~1-3% different than the call even for a psuedo-recent survey. When you start talking about original surveys out of the sovereign and stacking them together I'd expect 3-6%. Start throwing in serious title defects that might be found by the first survey since 18** and I'd be unsurprised to see a double digit percentage difference in area. Maybe twice.

Very interesting perspective. My first wife's family owns a rather large piece of land in the Hill Country. They surveyed it after her grandfather passed. It had not been surveyed since the late 1800's and the unit of measure was the Vara (I hope I said that correctly). The difference in what they thought they had, and what they actually had, was rather significant. As I recall, it was about an 8-10% error.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

Asian American, please.

Who said it would be an American?
John Goodman
AgAE
AG
normaleagle05 said:

SWC Ag said:

normaleagle05 said:

Quote:

I'm genuinely curious.

None of the above may be the case here. I'm not involved with the sale. But I don't believe that acreage.
The acreage was provided by the landowner and verified, as accurately as possible, my mapping the property boundaries. Is the acreage stated survey accurate, no. It never is. That is why, in the marketing materials, you will see the acreage followed by +/- or the acreage followed by more or less. The acreage is close, trust me.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I'd buy it, but all those gd windmills in my view.
TheClaw07
AG
My family had the good fortune of owning the 246 for about 5 years recently. From my experience, with a significantly smaller piece of land, I don't know how you could make a place that size profitable and sustainable.
marcel ledbetter
Hewey Calloway said:

He's a great singer!

I have known and worked with hands that had worked on the MC in years past. They were interesting to listen to and learn from. The MC was mostly public grazing land with a lot of deeded meadow ground for haying. At it's peak, the ranch would dwarf any ranch Texas for sheer acreage.

Adel, Oregon mentioned in that song is where the headquarters of the ranch was located. It's a really neat store/restaurant/bar/post office/gas station etc, in one building. Lot's of nostalgia on the wall there. It's still a classic western cow town where ranch hands congregate after work.

Stockman's is still there in Elko. As is Mona's, which Ian sings about in another song.
cr06gis
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

Hewey Calloway said:

He's a great singer!

I have known and worked with hands that had worked on the MC in years past. They were interesting to listen to and learn from. The MC was mostly public grazing land with a lot of deeded meadow ground for haying. At it's peak, the ranch would dwarf any ranch Texas for sheer acreage.

Adel, Oregon mentioned in that song is where the headquarters of the ranch was located. It's a really neat store/restaurant/bar/post office/gas station etc, in one building. Lot's of nostalgia on the wall there. It's still a classic western cow town where ranch hands congregate after work.

Stockman's is still there in Elko. As is Mona's, which Ian sings about in another song.
Wow, first time I've ever seen Adel mentioned anywhere on here. I spent 2 years living in a camper a few miles south of the Adel store on Twentymile Road. I was the landowner liaison for a transmission line project. The ranchers from Adel up to Plush and Christmas Valley were some of the best guys I've ever worked with. The most authentic "cowboys" I've ever been around. Talk about isolated, sheesh.
normaleagle05
AG
AgAE said:

normaleagle05 said:

SWC Ag said:

normaleagle05 said:

Quote:

I'm genuinely curious.

The acreage was provided by the landowner and verified, as accurately as possible, my mapping the property boundaries. Is the acreage stated survey accurate, no. It never is. That is why, in the marketing materials, you will see the acreage followed by +/- or the acreage followed by more or less. The acreage is close, trust me.

No.

S B Burnett is the patentee on 15 scrap files in King County, his estate is on 2 more, and there are six unresolved scrap files in his name. That's just some of the title problems a place like that will have.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.