Outdoors
Sponsored by

Where to find ammo?

6,592 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggielax11
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know, I know, dumb question, but where can you find rifle ammo?

We are in the Junction area this weekend and were told the day before we came that more ammo was needed for the .243 and the .270 that are shared by other family members.

Obviously everything in College Station was sold out. We also stopped at a Walmart in Fredricksburg on the way and they were also wiped out.

So does anyone have an leads on ammo in the Junction area? We've got enough to make it through this trip, but other trips might be out of luck in the coming weeks.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
They were out of .243 last time I was there (Monday) but Boss Hogg in Sonora might have .270. I'll try to remember to check with Krystal tomorrow.

Rafter W in Sonora might have some as well.
lexofer
AG
In store you will have to get lucky or ask when they get in new shipments. I've been setting up alerts on https://ammoseek.com/ to let me know when ammo I need is in stock at a good price online.
Chamonix
There should be about 5 million new gun owners who just realized they don't need a gun and are willing to sell their new purchases

Check classifieds soon
JAG03
AG
I'd look at pawn shops also a lot of hardware stores sell guns and ammo. I'd also try and find smaller gun shops and look there. I was in a gun shop in Athens on Tuesday and they had just about every caliber in stock at fair prices for the times.
ThatOneGuy
AG
I got some .300 WM and .270 at a gun range. Cabelas and Academy sold out.
bullitt
AG
Cabelas online had both of those as of a couple days ago. I order .270 and received in 4 days.
cupofjoe04
AG
I hear there's a guy running around the board here selling ammo. But only buy from him if you love America and freedom of choice... and also love grossly over paying for things.
country
AG
You aren't going to get 243 or 270 in Junction. The few shops that sell ammo all hold back those gems for local clients. In other words, they are bought before they hit the shelves. The Lowe's down in Rocksprings has a surprisingly good selection of ammo.
bullitt
AG
Looks like 2 box of Winchester 243 at college station Walmart as of 1:15.
turf guy ag
I hear C Roc N is the place to go for ammo in these times.
C ROC N
You can get it at the Wal-Mart in Sealy they had 6 boxes left! I also found some 30mm Weaver high rings. They were loaded with those!
Cen-Tex
AG
Gun shows, if you're willing to pay a little more
AggieAces06
AG
Thanks all! We checked in Junction this morning. No 270 (had just sold out). They had 243, but it was a different grain than what we prefer so we passed for now.

My parents live near Sealy, so I'll have my dad check around there. Thanks for the tip!

Good news is that no one will be out here after us for 3 weeks (and then it's us again). So we have some time to look around.

After shooting a buck last night, I have 7 rounds of 243 left. So I am just being selective now. No fun just for pigs or Audad.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Midway USA has .270 Core Lokt for $22/box.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Tried to DM you but it didn't work. Krystal at Boss Hogg in Sonora said you can call her to see if they got either caliber in their shipments this week. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get you her cell number.
AggieAces06
AG
Thanks. I'm not a subscriber, so I can't get DM's.

We leave tomorrow, so a trip to Sonora probably isn't happening today. But I bet I can look up the number to the store if we do decide to head that way.

Hopefully we can find some closer to home over the next 3 weeks, if not we'll make the trip to Sonora then!
AgDad121619
AG
I have some .270 ammo that I would trade for weekend hunt in junction - I would gladly help with culls and does
MTTANK
AG
I live in CS and have some 270 if you don't find any. I'll loan it to you, or you can have it for what I paid for it. Not looking to get rid of it, but if you don't find it in the next 3 weeks I have no problem helping you out. My understanding is these hunting calibers should be easier to get after the season ends. Hate to hear a fellow Ag is missing out on some fun over this madness.
GIG 'EM
mgtamu87
If you are still looking for 243 ammo, I have some in the San Antonio area. I have 5 boxes of Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 95 grain. Based on prices from Midway USA, Cabelas.... they all seem to be around $30 a box. Not sure if they marked it up or not but I'd sale them for the same.
Aggieangler93
AG
Bass Pro has this Hornaday American Hunter round right now

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hornady-american-whitetail-centerfire-rifle-ammo

available presently in 243, 308, 270, as of this post. Buy online and ship to store or home.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
In other news, if y'all haven't discovered the Simon Brothers restaurant in Roosevelt, I'd recommend it, especially for breakfast
dolch
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Bass Pro has this Hornaday American Hunter round right now

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hornady-american-whitetail-centerfire-rifle-ammo

available presently in 243, 308, 270, as of this post. Buy online and ship to store or home.

Thanks. I have been looking for those in 308
bb2003
AG
Ive not bought enough ammo of various calibers to know what a normal price is for some of my more recently acquired guns. What's a "normal market" price per round for

5.56/.223
30-30
.40 caliber pistol
AggieAces06
AG
Appreciate it! If we get close to the next trip and haven't had any luck, I'll reach out!
FamousAgg
bb2003 said:

Ive not bought enough ammo of various calibers to know what a normal price is for some of my more recently acquired guns. What's a "normal market" price per round for

5.56/.223
30-30
.40 caliber pistol

"Normal market" price really doesn't matter, you likely will not find anything at that price. Buy what you can find in stock. That being said $.30-$.40 for the 223/556 and 40 if you are just talking FMJ target ammo.
Aggieangler93
AG
I bought brass fmj 40 yesterday for $19.99 a box. Academy will have it from time to time at $17 for winchester white box.
Aggieangler93
AG
30-30 is normally around $18-25 a box depending on what round you prefer.
CrockerCock00
AG
KorbinDallas said:

bb2003 said:

5.56/.223
30-30
.40 caliber pistol

"Normal market" price really doesn't matter, you likely will not find anything at that price. Buy what you can find in stock. That being said $.30-$.40 for the 223/556 and 40 if you are just talking FMJ target ammo.

Love to know where you're seeing .30-.40 for 223/556. Academy has 223 for .48-.54 and 556 for .43-.54 depending on brand and box size (also assuming brass FMJ). Unless you were meaning that 30-40 WAS the normal price.
FamousAgg
That's exactly what I was trying to say, that would have been "normal market" but it doesn't really matter
44mAG
AG
7mm-08 rounds are non-existent right now. Really sucks.
Aggieangler93
AG
I see 7mm-08 fairly often up here near Round Rock. What ya looking for and where are ya?
44mAG
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I see 7mm-08 fairly often up here near Round Rock. What ya looking for and where are ya?

I'm in the Buda area, and specifically looking for Nosler 140 gr Accubonds. I've been looking on Ammo seek every day for the last few weeks and there has been literally zero 7mm-08 rounds of any kind available anywhere online. I assumed that meant that in store would be empty as well. Cabela's is the only place I have looked and they don't even have a spot available for the catridge.
Aggieangler93
AG
I believe I saw it at Academy on 1431 but it could have been elsewhere. I'll let ya know if i run across some again.
tamc93
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I believe I saw it at Academy on 1431 but it could have been elsewhere. I'll let ya know if i run across some again.
Friday the shelves were bare...with only a few boxes of something. I did not pay too much attention since I did not need it (far right towards gun counter).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.