Outdoors
Sponsored by

Every Thanksgiving

4,154 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I shoot a firearm or two at my parents ranch in McDade (had a name change). This year was my somewhat newly acquired glock 10mm. 180 grain JHP

cupofjoe04
AG
Good on you for shooting! I've never shot a 10mm, how do you like it?

Wouldn't be the OB without some ribbing:
Minus points for no pic of the gun... but it's just a glock, so that's OK.
That's a wicked weaver stance you go there...
I guess I can't get too mad at you for shooting a cedar (I think that's what it is?)...
Slamn Sharpe
The brake does an excellent job with recoil. I really liked shooting it. Seeing the bullets afterwards also gives me a lot of confidence in it as a glove box gun. I have never shot one without a brake. Yes, a cedar tree and a "trash tree" at that

cupofjoe04
AG
Slamn Sharpe said:

The brake does an excellent job with recoil. I really liked shooting it. Seeing the bullets afterwards also gives me a lot of confidence in it as a glove box gun. I have never shot one without a brake. Yes, a cedar tree and a "trash tree" at that

Nice rig! That'll do work for sure
XXXVII
Is that the Glock 20 gen 4 with some custom work done on the end of the barrel?
TwoMarksHand
AG
Your stance tells me all I need to know about you.
Old Sarge
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

OK, guess I am the stupids, but what does that stance tell you? No issues with your comment, but pray tell.
Green is the new RED.
ElephantRider
AG
Are those skinny jeans?
BCStalk
Should not have a foot back. Generally taught with shooting lessons or learned shooting matches. Also arm position helps with follow up shots and prevents muzzle rise.
meggy09
AG
Looks like room for a few more bracelets there on your wrist. Might help with recoil too.
Slamn Sharpe
meggy09 said:

Looks like room for a few more bracelets there on your wrist. Might help with recoil too.

That's a 10 year olds wrist
Slamn Sharpe
Wow! I never thought there was any other way to shoot. That's the way I was taught while in the Navy, by Marine Corps instructors. I looked up "wicked weaver" stance, as someone put it. It makes sense we were taught to shoot this way because it was military police. If you read about this particular stance it states its a defensive, combat stance that helps lessen target size

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/9/pistol-shooting-positions-weaver-vs-isosceles/
cupofjoe04
AG
I definitely recognized it as a weaver the instant I saw it. I prefer a similar stance myself, although a bit more compact. Basically more of a fighting stance. Not saying it's best, it's just best for me. I know a lot of guys like the triangle (pictures by a previous poster), I'm just not as comfortable in it in a dynamic environment. I shoot just as well out of a fighting stance as a triangle- so that's what I go to if possible.

But I'm seriously not trying to be critical- It just looks a little uncomfortable to me, is all. If you like it, and it works for you- you do it brother! I'm a big fan of teaching people with what feels most natural to them, and making minor adjustments and improvements.

But you could be dropping 10's and smoke me for all I know (and I don't know much...).
bam02
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

What a *****y comment.
RCR06
AG
Slamn Sharpe said:

Wow! I never thought there was any other way to shoot. That's the way I was taught while in the Navy, by Marine Corps instructors. I looked up "wicked weaver" stance, as someone put it. It makes sense we were taught to shoot this way because it was military police. If you read about this particular stance it states its a defensive, combat stance that helps lessen target size

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/9/pistol-shooting-positions-weaver-vs-isosceles/

I have a similar stance, but my feet are closer together. Its interesing reading these threads because people that don't know anything about you like to tell you you're doing it wrong. Obviously you said you never tried the weaver stance later in the thread, but maybe you had tried both and you shoot better in the stance in the picture you posted. No one here knows they just start making assumptions.

Thanks for posting pics of your gun. Never seen a break like that before.
ontherocks
AG
Shooting in a "fighting stance" has its benefits. We get trained in both where I come from but yeah that pic was screaming to be messed with lol.
FIDO 96
AG
Question on the Burris FF3. Did you have your slide milled or is there a baseplate you are using?
Premium
AG
BCStalk said:

Should not have a foot back. Generally taught with shooting lessons or learned shooting matches. Also arm position helps with follow up shots and prevents muzzle rise.

From the OP link

CS78
SXTs?

Don't worry, it's tough to keep up with what's in vogue with the grip/stance snobs.
River Bass
It's cool that you got some practice in.
Ignore the haters that just want to bag on somebody.

I practice both weaver and isosceles. I always feel a little more comfortable and accurate with the weaver.
Rattler12
If a guy can put a bullet between another guy's running lights does his stance while doing so really make a difference?
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Slamn Sharpe said:

Yep. Same here. That's how they teach you to minimize torso exposure.
STX Ag
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

This post tells me all I need to know about you.
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Slamn Sharpe said:

That's the way i shoot and my son too who is Army (expert)....Thank you for your service too.

Sure wish we could see eye to eye on the Mond thing.....but that just doesnt look like its going to happen any time soon.

Anyway....hope you are always in the 10 ring!
schmellba99
AG
bam02 said:

TwoMarksHand said:

What a *****y comment.

Ehh, given who tge OP is....not really a *****y comment at all.
BurnetAggie99
To add some additional stances you have the Chapman which is a modified Weaver and Center Axis Relock which was developed by Paul Castle which is a stance to engage a target/person in short distance or surprise firefights.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.