Outdoors
Sponsored by

What is up with the caravans of "In-Tow" vehicles?

16,589 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Famous Shoes
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Winner.
rootube
AG
Maybe Mexico is going to finally pay for the wall using late model Cutlass Supremes.
Senator Blutarski
AG
Was there a pink Dora the Explorer bicycle with handle bar tassels bungee chorded to the top of the whole load?
Gunny456
AG
My nephew works for an export company. He says a lot of these small pick ups are sent in containers to the Middle East. Then they mount machine guns on them.
aggieforester05
AG
Too bad we can't just order them from the factory with those already installed.
RGV AG
AG
GigEm78 said:

southernskies said:

I always thought that these people buy jalopies and then drive them across the border to resell. Lately I've been seeing them stuffed with a bunch of junk inside of them.

I was driving I-10 east near Ozona this weekend and saw about 7 cars all pulling at least two "in-tow" behind each. Junk stuffed to the roof inside of each as well. This is a full blown operation! And what are they doing heading east? They should be heading south!
Transmigrantes(sp?) is the term we used in S. Texas on the Hwy 59/77/281 corridors. Most all are headed to a Central America destination. Saw several last weekend on I-20 in N.E. Texas coming from Louisiana.

Absolutely correct. None of those cars are supposed to stay in Mex, as Mex has laws against the import of most vehicles that aren't farm or work related unless they are very new.

The folks hauling them have to post a bond when entering Mexico, and the bond is refunded upon exit of Mexico. Most are going to Guatemala and Honduras, which have easier/less expensive import restrictions than Nicaragua and El Salvador. Costa Rica and Panama, and to a degree Nicaragua, get cheaper used vehicles straight from Asia.

The reason that they are seen so much on 281/59/77/I35 and such is that Mexico only allows the passage through one port of entry, in Los Indios, TX which is just west of Browntown.

The caravans have to follow a specific route through Mexico and exit at a specific place, I think there are two exit points; Tecun Uman (sp) and El Ceibo.

There are "fees" paid for safe passage to DTOs. Buyers from Central America check out the vehicles on the Mex side and then when coming across the border they pay the duties and fees. All the extra stuff is just sold for extra money. In the 90's and early 00's there were bus lines out of Guatemala running to McAllen and Brownsville. Also, many car carriers will haul vehicles down there as well.

Interesting folks and the Mexican authorities abuse the hell outta them.
Famous Shoes
AG
I'm 56 years old and from South TX, I've seen those in tow guys my whole life!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.