Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dead deer in pond

4,396 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mas89
Ikanizer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a dead fully grown doe floating in my pond this morning. I fished it out expecting a bullet hole or arrow but all I could see was a place on her back right leg just above the hoof where the hide had been torn all the way around. There were a few maggots on it.

I've been lining one side of my property with 5 ft x 16 ft welded fence panels to keep hogs out. A week or so ago I was driving out and a doe jumped the fence and got her back right leg hung up in it. She struggled for 30 seconds or so and got loose.

I suspect the dead one I found today is the same deer.

Heard coyotes howling last night but that happens all the time. I saw one standing on the dam when I was walking that direction this morning.

What do you deer experts think might have happened.
Slamn Sharpe
I expected you to say, its face was totally worn up with scratches, but you didn't. Often times coons will get on the top of the head of a dog etc in a tank/pond and make their kills this way (drowning/trauma)

AggieChemist
AG
Ikanizer said:

I reckon a doe died in your pond.
AggieMarkSA
My guess is that the wound was infected, and the deer was running a fever. They tend to go to water when that happens.
agneck
Anthrax
SockDePot
Sounds like a classic case of dikfur.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Doe-vid 19.
Gunny456
AG
Whitetails, Axis, Elk....most cervids and exotics are extremely resilient. I have seen many deer and exotics missing legs or parts of legs and other wounds that heal up rather miraculously. It is not very common for deer to get infections from surface wounds unless they have other underlying health issues or poor nutrition etc.
As our vet told me.....sometimes animals just die. .....they can have heart attacks, anuerisisms, all the same things that can kill us......without seeking medical help.
Another common occurrence is that after a droughty period and resulting poor range conditions..... and after some rains come and cause a sudden green up......deer will over feed and sometimes consume some toxic plants or over eat and basically cause a type of colic or other gut problems that can cause death.
tamc93
AG
No Bat Soup For You said:

Doe-vid 19.
Well played sir.
TAMUallen
AG
I think your doe just died and might have been drinking at your tank while it happened.

Unlikely for anthrax in October November
DVM97
AG
AggieChemist said:

Ikanizer said:

I reckon a doe died in your pond.
Well done!!
Todd 02
AG

Doe-vid 19.

Came here to post Cervid-19, but this'll do.
Rattler12
AggieMarkSA said:

My guess is that the wound was infected, and the deer was running a fever. They tend to go to water when that happens.
This ^
We had a doe that had a badly injured back leg that stayed swollen from hock to hoof and was like that for several years. Next door neighbor has a small pond in her back yard and she called and said there was a deer standing in the pond. We got the doe out and 15 minutes later she was back in it. The leg had started oozing and it was pretty plain it was infected. She was running a fever and was in the water because of it. She finally walked off and that was the last time we've seen her. Gentle as a dog too.Even answered to her name "Mama deer" and would come to you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AggiePetro07
AG

Doe-vid 19.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Nombre cabron.........Muerte dela Lechusa
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
FamousAgg
McDadeTXAggie said:

I expected you to say, its face was totally worn up with scratches, but you didn't. Often times coons will get on the top of the head of a dog etc in a tank/pond and make their kills this way (drowning/trauma)

Excuse me... but WTF?
AnScAggie
AG
KorbinDallas said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Excuse me... but WTF?

This makes me want to read "Where the Red Fern Grows" again for the 67th time.
Slamn Sharpe
KorbinDallas said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Excuse me... but WTF?

I didn't even finish my Google search without it auto filling it for me. It happens a lot if a dog takes on a coon and there's water near by. Once they get on top of the dogs dead to drown it, they claw their faces up

https://www.treehugger.com/would-cute-raccoon-drown-your-dog-4863847
FamousAgg
A woman in Cumberland County, Canada, dove into a pond one summer to save her Brittany spaniel, which was being drowned by a raccoon, she says.

Brittany spaniel... that's the issue
Ikanizer
AG
OK so the infected wound caused the deer to go in the pond to cool her fever and she drowned. Maybe a raccoon or coyote chased her.
My wife is mad that I put the hog fence up because she thinks the deer won't jump over it. This one got her leg cut open and eventually died from getting hung up in the fence.
I thought it was common to put 5 ft high fences around bait stations to keep hogs out and let deer in.
Is that fence dangerous for deer? Not that we don't have enough or anything.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
5' high, fence around a feeder? Um, no. The deer can certainly clear it but if it's panels and not barb wire, where they can go underneath, that can be a problem.

Most panels we use for feeders are 34" hog panels. Even the 48" horse panels are a little too tall. The deer can jump it, they're just more hesitant.
RCR06
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

KorbinDallas said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Excuse me... but WTF?

I didn't even finish my Google search without it auto filling it for me. It happens a lot if a dog takes on a coon and there's water near by. Once they get on top of the dogs dead to drown it, they claw their faces up

https://www.treehugger.com/would-cute-raccoon-drown-your-dog-4863847

This is a well known occurrence with coon hounds and raccoons. I would think this has alot to do with the coon hounds chasing after the racoon and the raccoons fighting for their lives. Rather than raccoons just drowning animals.
Ikanizer
AG
So 36" panels are high enough to keep out the hogs?
I've trapped 47 since mid September and got tired of it.
Mas89
AG
Yes, 3 foot tall hog panels. These are 16 feet long. We like 7 or 8 panels around each feeder to keep out hogs and cows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.