Outdoors
Sponsored by

Binocular recommendations

4,329 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
BoerneAG2021
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get some new glass with a price range of 500 and below. Don't expect to need them for insane distances just typical whitetail hunting, would appreciate if anybody some insight/suggestions. Thanks
wheelz
AG
I love my Vortex Vipers HD 12X50's. Paid $600ish
If you want less than $500 then get the HD 10X42's.
CTGilley
AG
Check EBay. I got my Leupold BX4s for 30-40% off. NIB
Caladan
What size binocular do you want?

Is low light performance important to you?
cc_ag92
AG
Sorry to derail the original post, but I would like some info also.

I am looking for a pair in the 12 X 56 range, these will be used for big game hunting out west. They will be mounted on a tripod, low light is very important. Budget is in $1,000.00 range.
AV8ORAG84
AG
Do a search for binoculars or binos on the outdoor forum. Look at all of Caladan posts, tons of great info on binos in different price ranges. For op, Nikon monarch 7 8x30 for $300-350. Is a really good bino for the cost , nice size and great optics.
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
AV8ORAG84
AG
I would suggest a spotting scope for hunting out west, along with a good pair of binoculars. Nice to have the extra magnification in a lot of situations. Just my two cents.
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
CTGilley said:

Be very careful on flea Bay with Leupold... Lots of fakes there
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
CTGilley
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

CTGilley said:

Be very careful on flea Bay with Leupold... Lots of fakes there
Normally it is pretty obvious. Always buy from a trusted seller. I have bought several quality optics and never got a fake with due diligence. Best deals I have got are when they let you make an offer. Picked up a Cabela's Euro Scope for pennies on the dollar and it is amazing.

I always check the SN on the Leopold's after I get them. They have all been real. There is only a few models that are often fake. When you see a VX3 for $100 it is a fake and will often say so in the description.
CTGilley
AG
AV8ORAG84 said:

I would suggest a spotting scope for hunting out west, along with a good pair of binoculars. Nice to have the extra magnification in a lot of situations. Just my two cents.
I tried that this year. Spotting scopes are just so damn heavy(if money is not a problem there are alternatives). I prefer to spend that money on quality binos and scope. Not if I was not packing and was looking for a bull of a particular size, things may be a little different.

Next upgrade will be my scope. That has been the plan the last couple years but last year I needed tires and this year a transmission so life...
ought1ag
AG
https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/optika-hd-10x42-13200/

got these last year and I love them
Caladan
cc_ag92 said:

Sorry to derail the original post, but I would like some info also.

I am looking for a pair in the 12 X 56 range, these will be used for big game hunting out west. They will be mounted on a tripod, low light is very important. Budget is in $1,000.00 range.
No one makes a 12x56 in the ~$1k range. If you want a 12x, then you have to go to a 50mm objective. If you want a 56mm, then you would have to go up to a 15x.

There is one "mid-level" 12x56 to consider. It is the Kowa BD56-12XD, which runs about $600. I have tried several BD's in other magnifications, and can say that they have a very good build quality, and optically performed very well.

If you want to stick w/a 56mm and are willing to go to 15x, then they only real choice in your price range is the Leupold Santiam.

If you want to stick w/12x and are willing to drop down to 50mm, then there are three excellent choices at the ~$1k range - the Meopta Meostar, Leupold Santiam, and Vortex Razor. Between these three, I would go w/the Santiam, unless I could find a leftover Razor that was made in Japan (Razor production was shifted to China), in which case I would go with the Razor. That being said, if I were to get a 12x50 and couldn't afford an alpha, then I would go for a Tract Toric and save a bit of money.

C
WC87
AG
Went with a Tract Toric on Caladan's rec and man I love those binos. Even the color has grown on me.
CTGilley
AG
WC87 said:

Went with a Tract Toric on Caladan's rec and man I love those binos. Even the color has grown on me.
Any experience with their Hunting scopes?
K_P
AG
What're the reasons to go with 10x vs 12x? (Guess the balance is in low light performance better with less magnification?) I just started shopping for a CO mule deer hunt we have planned for next year.

I have been looking at the Vortex Vipers 12x50 but just started shopping. I will have a spotting scope, but it's not high end (Nikon prostaff 3 straight tube.)
Caladan
K_P said:

What're the reasons to go with 10x vs 12x? (Guess the balance is in low light performance better with less magnification?)
There isn't any practical difference in low light performance between a 10x42 and a 12x50. A 10x50 will have a slight edge over a 12x50, but only you can say if those extra few minutes of viewing time are worth it.

The reasons to go with a 10x over a 12x are in increased FOV (unless you can pop for a 12x42 Swarovski NL, which has a 10x FOV), and it is easier to hold steady. If you are hiking up and down the mountainsides and expending a lot of physical energy, you are not going to be able to hold a 12x steady. Of course if you are willing to carry a bino mount on a bipod or tripod, then the second point is moot.

If I were going to hunt in your situation and were not willing to carry a spotting scope, then I would want more bino magnification than 10x. If however I were to be carrying a spotting scope, then I would rather have an 8.5x42 or a 10x42 in order to have a wider FOV to aid in hand-holdable scanning.

C
CTGilley
AG
Talked to Jon at Tract Toric and wow. That is a nice guy. Very knowledgeable and did not bash any other brands when brought up. Gave honest opinion about how he thought one or the other was better or worse even if his product did not win. I plan to give them a ***** They look to be fairly priced IMO.
WC87
AG
CTGilley said:

WC87 said:

Any experience with their Hunting scopes?
No, I just have a pair of binos, 10X42
ldg397
AG
Whatever Caladan says!

I have the 8.5 Swarovski EL on his recommendation and also the meopta meopro 10x as a backup which he recommended in my below $500 for a backup.

Couldn't be happier with both.
HillcountryAg97
AG
So did I!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DeBoss
AG
I have two Toric binos and love them. I don't look through a bunch but I can tell that they are major upgrades from anything I've used. Even my FiL tries to use mine now that his eyes are getting older.
ShinerDunk93
AG
Lukesullivan said:

Don't expect to need them for insane distances just typical whitetail hunting
If you mean sitting in your blind or scouting. Look at any of the Vanguards with the ED glass. Very reasonable and just as good as the Vortex HD my friend owns for much less. Around $300

For what it's worth, I believe Caladan has had positive opinions of the Vanguard brand.
elcampopooch
Who locally handles the Trac Toric or is on line your only option.
Caladan
elcampopooch said:

Tract does not have a dealership network. Website sales only.
CTGilley
AG
Caladan said:

elcampopooch said:

Tract does not have a dealership network. Website sales only.
I would chat with him on the website. I bet they will let you try and return if you hate them. I don't know that but he seems like he would work with you.
agwrestler
AG
Another vote for Tract. I have some 10x42 Gen1 Toric binos and they perform well. At dawn/dusk the image is brighter/clearer than with the naked eye. They look like a light grey Vortex Razor. I think Gen 2 improved the coatings and added a locking diopter adjustment.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Caladan said:

K_P said:

What're the reasons to go with 10x vs 12x? (Guess the balance is in low light performance better with less magnification?)
There isn't any practical difference in low light performance between a 10x42 and a 12x50. A 10x50 will have a slight edge over a 12x50, but only you can say if those extra few minutes of viewing time are worth it.

The reasons to go with a 10x over a 12x are in increased FOV (unless you can pop for a 12x42 Swarovski NL, which has a 10x FOV), and it is easier to hold steady. If you are hiking up and down the mountainsides and expending a lot of physical energy, you are not going to be able to hold a 12x steady. Of course if you are willing to carry a bino mount on a bipod or tripod, then the second point is moot.

If I were going to hunt in your situation and were not willing to carry a spotting scope, then I would want more bino magnification than 10x. If however I were to be carrying a spotting scope, then I would rather have an 8.5x42 or a 10x42 in order to have a wider FOV to aid in hand-holdable scanning.

C
Would like your opinion on Vortex Fury or equivalent in a range finder bino as i am in the market for one.
hutch2882
AG
Been searching all the recent bino threads and i think my needs are similar to OP's. I'm looking for 10x42 and priority #1 is low light performance, with #2 being FOV. I've been looking around but just noticed Cabelas is going to have Vortex Viper HD 10x42 for $299 next week in their thanksgiving sale and this seems like a great deal to me. How would these fare in the $300-$500 range. Others i've considered are the Meopta Optikas, Vanguard Endeavor, BX-4 PG. TIA
WC87
AG
I would say the Vipers for $300 would be hard to beat.

I will say I love my Tract Toric 10x42s. Not sure if they have a Black Friday deal on those tho
Legend
AG
Another vote for the Tract. We were sitting around last week after hunting and everybody compared my Tracts to another guys Swarovski and there was no noticeable difference at various distances. This was before sunset so you probably do get some better performance at really low light or something, but for the money I think you'll like the Tracts.

Buck Turgidson
I got my Vortex Vipers for right around $500. Best binos I have used so far.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.