Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gardening

1,847 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CS78
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm assuming this board has a gardener or two. I've got a small raised bed I created out of a solid wood, I stained bookshelf my neighbor was throwing out. I'm growing some garlic, tomatoes, and peppers. I know that the tomatoes and peppers are long for this world, so I'm interested in seeing what you're growing right now. I'm in Houston.

Any tips for beginners?
Old RV Ag
AG
Entire thread with lots of info

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3087549/1
CS78
I do brocolli and collard greens, in the fall, in the same pots that have tomatoes in the spring. Only problem I have is the kids eating the broccoli off the plant before it's ready.

I've had good luck with cabbage but the rats destroy them if they get a chance.

I love winter gardening. No bugs and if I forget to water, no problem.
Smokedraw01
Old RV Ag said:

Entire thread with lots of info

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3087549/1

Thanks.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Broccoli, spinach, chard
jtp01
AG
Be careful getting started gardening. My wife has always had a garden. She recently fount a 3200 square foot commercial greenhouse and thinks it would be perfect for her winter garden.

I foresee a greenhouse in my future.
zooguy96
Yeah, it's a disease. My garden this past year was 3000 square feet with irrigation - and I also ran my fertilizer through the irrigation with a sump pump.

Kale, spinach - any greens would be ok for a fall garden. I had kale in my garden here in TN over winter with snow and below freezing for a week and it thrived.
B-1 83
AG
Lettuce, spinach, kale, green onions, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, ........LOTS of stuff.
texAZtea
AG
Your local extension office will have information more specific to your region about planting dates and stuff like that.
Tx95Ag
AG
I haven't had a garden in a few years, but winter was always carrot time for me. Love me some fresh from the garden carrots.
Martin Cash
AG
CS78 said:

I do brocolli and collard greens, in the fall, in the same pots that have tomatoes in the spring. Only problem I have is the kids eating the broccoli off the plant before it's ready.

I've had good luck with cabbage but the rats destroy them if they get a chance.

I love winter gardening. No bugs and if I forget to water, no problem.
Wow! What's wrong with your kids???
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I'm more into fruit trees. Pineapple guava, pomegranate, kumquat, grapefruit and lemon, so far. (And camellias, gardenias, and Confederate Jasmine for color)

I plan to add some black berries and blue berries as well.

The nursery suggested olive trees, but I don't think they would work. I'd like to add a fat source, but I don't have room for a pecan, and I'm not sure what else will actually grow.
Old RV Ag
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I'm more into fruit trees. Pineapple guava, pomegranate, kumquat, grapefruit and lemon, so far. (And camellias, gardenias, and Confederate Jasmine for color)

I plan to add some black berries and blue berries as well.

The nursery suggested olive trees, but I don't think they would work. I'd like to add a fat source, but I don't have room for a pecan, and I'm not sure what else will actually grow.
Try figs (yes, I know that's not a fat source). Lots of people either don't like or forget about it. I don't like figs bought in the store, but eating a fig ripened on the tree is like eating tomatoes fully ripened on the vine. Pure ambrosia.

Olives and avocados don't do as well in Texas (most of it).
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
This is in my house in Charleston (in a little pocket of 9A)

I tried figs at a different house, and they tasted awful. The ones we had growing up were good. Had some of the local ones, at the nursery, and they were not good, either.

CHS doesn't usually produce very good blackberries and blueberries, either, but I have some ideas which might help. (Going to pour iron oxide powder around the plants when mulching, and try to keep a very acidic compost around them)
Old RV Ag
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

This is in my house in Charleston (in a little pocket of 9A)

I tried figs at a different house, and they tasted awful. The ones we had growing up were good. Had some of the local ones, at the nursery, and they were not good, either.

CHS doesn't usually produce very good blackberries and blueberries, either, but I have some ideas which might help. (Going to pour iron oxide powder around the plants when mulching, and try to keep a very acidic compost around them)
Ah, Charleston - know that region well and climate (like to go to Kiawah Island whenever possible). Understand the figs. All my trees are old old - even to the point people can't tell me the variety. I can see they've probably bred them for production and disease resistance and ruined taste. Understand the issues with berries - the foothills upstate around Greenville are more conducive. Bet you can grow awesome tomatoes - the tomato farms on John's Island are great. Olives and avocados drown in the amount of rain y'all get. Overall, you live in a gardener's paradise,
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Hmm... I'll try tomatoes. You could be right about them, as long as they don't split in the rain.

And having both rain, and dirt, does seem odd. . Digging out absurd amounts of old bricks, concrete, metal scrap, chunks of granite, etc.

I know I'll need to get some horse manure from the carriage companies to work into my compost piles, and I'm thinking about working in some type of clay as well, but if I can work enough compost and composted manure, that's probably a better way to improve my soil structure.
jtp01
AG
This stirs the "feels" a little. We lost mom a year ago last week. She made the best fig preserves from a fig tree in the back yard (and she got some from an uncles fig tree also).

We still have a few jars left and will likely open a jar for Christmas breakfast this year. I look forward to Christmas breakfast more than any meal all year long (Thanksgiving dinner included). Something about my childhood memories that makes that my favorite meal.
CS78
What am I growing? A couple mystery packs from lowes.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.