Outdoors
Sponsored by

Compact tractors are outdoors

2,391 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LPHA
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I'm ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don't live in a very populated area and there's only two tractor dealerships close by - one's a Kubota, the other's John Deere. Any advice on these two?
AgResearch
AG
Ask locals which parts & service department is better to work with.

Green paint is expensive but I'm partial to them over Kubota.
F4GIB71
I agree on checking the reviews of the service departments. I had a Kubota tractor where I used to live. Also had a Deere lawn tractor and now a Deere Zero turn. Probably not an equal comparison, but my Kubota was flawless and have issues with both JDs.
schmellba99
AG
Ask about the dealers, service departments, etc. I am partial to Kubota personally.

Get a FEL with a QA plate so you can easily swap implements.
RoosterAg12
AG
I was told the colors are all about the same and to buy based on the service available. Mines blue.
kyledr04
AG
A 3 series Deere sounds like a solid choice
Fannie Luddite
AG
If it ain't red, it stays in the shed!
MemphisAg1
AG
Love my Kubota. 4 years now, no issues. Reliable.
30wedge
McInnis said:

I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I'm ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don't live in a very populated area and there's only two tractor dealerships close by - one's a Kubota, the other's John Deere. Any advice on these two?
In about the same boat as you are, except for the snow! My choice between Kubota and John Deere came down to service and our local John Deere place has given me terrible service on a zero turn mower. I went to a different dealer this past spring to get a new zero turn due to the poor service. Haven't had any experience with the Kubota dealer but did check with 6 people who have and they all gave good comments on them.
jtp01
AG
Disclaimer: I own 6 Deere row crop tractors.

If I'm in your spot, I'd buy a Kubota I'd the dealer can support you. When it comes to the compact tractor, that what kubota does very well.
MouthBQ98
AG
What is up with tractors these days? I have a 40yrar old Ford. It NEVER needs "service". I think it's about 6 of half a dozen of the other, whichever place is closer.
jtp01
AG
Truth is a lot more "features". We have made a conscious effort to maintain our older Deere tractors to keep away from the new stuff. Between computers and DEF the cost to repair and maintain gets to be too much.

I recently bought a little ford 1300 tractor for "mowing" specifically up close to fences, Irrigation wells, and around the old implements.

I bought it cheap because it had a blown head gasket. $50 and a weekend later and it was as good as new. I was willing to buy because I knew the problem and the fix was fairly simple. Now I have a 4wd compact tractor that is perfect for its intended purpose with minimal investment.

We have become a society of disposable equipment. So folks rely on service departments to keep their stuff running instead of diving into repairs themselves (most folks just don't have time). Personally I enjoy shop time with my 2 sons. It's a great use of time on bad weather days.
shalackin
AG
Have a massey ferg 65 that sat in the weather over 6 years without being started. I had to store it at a friends property until i moved it to our farm. put a new battery in it, and it fired up in under 3 seconds. Crazy.
Serious Lee
If im getting something 50-60 hp and under, im getting kubota and painting it JD green
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have both, but I don't see me buying anything but JD going forward.
ToddyHill
AG
We have a Kubota B2601. It's a little bit bigger than their subcompact. Love it
ghollow
AG
either of those will serve you well
docb
AG
The smaller John Deere are made in India these days. I'd go with the Kubota.
schmellba99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

What is up with tractors these days? I have a 40yrar old Ford. It NEVER needs "service". I think it's about 6 of half a dozen of the other, whichever place is closer.
I consider "service" to be a function of the actual service department, but also how well stocked the parts department is or how fast they can get parts.

My Kubota is a 2001, I've never taken it to the dealer for service. But I have had to order parts on more than one occasion, and I go through the dealer when I do. I have never had to wait more than 3 days for a part, and my tractor isn't one of the more popular models that Kubota has manufactured either.

I think with the newer tractors, its kind of like newer cars - more functions and features, plus often the dealerships will offer oil/fluid changes as part of the perks of buying so people can take them in for routine maintenance.
techno-ag
AG
Didn't New Holland take over what used to be the Ford line? Somebody told me they still make some models with minimal electronics.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
wyoag77
AG
McInnis said:

......get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range?....
McInnis

I agree w the folks above regarding service - in that size tractor and for your intended application, probably not too much difference between the colors.

I offer up a couple of additional suggestions for your consideration.
a) what transmission do you want? If you plan on using the loader much, a shuttle or hydrostatic would sure save time - and, you would not be cussing at it.
b) blade type and hook up. For snow, I think you would want an angle on your blade - like the DOT snow plows. A flat blade will not get you there....so with the angle, can you change it from RH discharge to LH discharge without getting out (or off)?
c) are you planning on 4wd? I have a 2038R (disclaimer: I am a green guy) which does what I need it to do but if I were using it to push snow, I would have to add some weight. I fear that it would skate quite easily and I would not be satisfied.
d) hydraulics should be available in that size tractor - just think about other activities that you might be able to perform if you had an SCV or two.

Good luck - would be interested in hearing what you decided.
McInnis
AG
Thanks for everyone's advice. I drove to Powell today and came home with a little Kubota BX 2680. I met all the folks in the parts and service dept. and they made a good impression. It has the largest engine you can buy without all emissions controls. It's easy to use, I found some snow that hasn't melted and started practicing. The bucket on the front works great but the hydraulic control for the blade on back is kind of jerky, that's my only complaint so far but I'll get used to it.
Post removed:
by user
LPHA
AG
Compact by today's standards...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-John-Deere-Model-B-Tractor-/143681493635?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.