Outdoors
Sponsored by

Setting up your lease

2,646 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Newoldarmy
aggielax11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for the group. I have my first lease, currently 3 feeders on about 145 acres. I have two of the feeders fenced in so the hogs/cows stay away, but before I fence the 3rd I want some feedback. Like I mentioned we have hogs, we saw about 20 on one of the cams just the other night, but that area is one of the areas we ended up fencing in the feeder. My thoughts were to keep one unfenced to draw them there but was curious how others set their land up? I've seen a few hogs on the game cam of the 3rd feeder that isn't currently fenced.

This land hasn't really been hunted from what I was told in the past, it's out in Bastrop. We've already seen some nice does and smaller bucks starting to show up from the feeders and putting feed out. Which have to say has been fun to start to see them show up more and more. Thinking/hoping there is a big buck out there, just saw one of smaller bucks has one side of his antlers broken off, hoping that was from fighting a bigger buck lol.

Figured maybe you guys had some feedback or point me in the right direction.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Don't fence it. Run the cows off if they show up, but my guess is they won't ruin your hunt long if they show up. I'm pretty much a stand and fill feeder with no fences hunter now and cows aren't an issue (for long). Glad you're seeing some trophy does.
aggielax11
AG
Yea so far so good on the does. Would love to see some bigger bucks but figure we are putting in the work to hopefully get them in.
AgTech88
AG
Depends on the terrain on your property - I would watch the cameras and figure out which feeders the pigs are more likely to hit. Leave the pig-prone area open and fence the feeders with less pig activity.

I am also on a small property and we are overrun with pigs, but they seem to prefer areas that are near the creeks and areas that stay wet & hold water. On the other hand we see deer more on the higher ground further away from creeks and low areas. We obviously wanted to create areas that attract the deer but also wanted someplace to hunt the pigs. We left the most pig visited feeder open and keep it well baited with other pig attractant. It has seemed to reduce the pig issues in our preferred deer hunting spots and we are now seeing more deer where we want them.

just my 2 cents
AgTech88
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I would run two strands of barb wire with enough room underneath for pigs to get in but enough height to keep the cows out. I hate having to chase livestock off... spent years throwing rocks at sheep and don't ever want to do it again.
CS78
Good advice above.

Only thing I would do is add some feeder lights so you can shoot hogs at night.

If you want to spend money, I'd do this one in red.
https://sniperhoglights.com/exterminator-ii-feeder-light/

Or you can go cheaper and do four of these. Just mount them on a pole, drive a t post or rebar in the ground and slide pole over the top. Make sure they are pointed away from the shooter so it doesn't blind your scope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X8MH1GV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Saltwater Assassin
AG
Personal opinion: fence it

You dont need to attract hogs: you'll get more than you want even if you DO fence in the 3rd feeder. I would not do anything to encourage them on to your property, & once they are there they are virtually impossible to evict/eradicate.
Ag_07
AG
Why not fence it in with the ability to open and close it?

You wanna bring hogs in to hunt in the off-season then open it up. Once season gets close and you wanna keep it to only deer close it up.
SteveBott
AG
That is what my buddy does. Keeps pens fully closed Sept-end of the deer season and drops one panel winter and spring to hunt hogs.
aggielax11
AG
Good idea. We have gates on them so that would be easy.
Scotty88
AG
If you only have 145 acres the hogs are going to travel on and off the property. We typically put two feeders (one fenced (36" hog panels) and one unfenced at each blind that we hunt).

During deer season we often stop putting corn in the unfenced feeder to discourage the hogs and cows. During the off season if you want to shoot hogs you can start running the unfenced feeder and drawn them in.
Nestea07
AG
Nothing to add about fencing, but last I spoke to Smith Supply this bounty is still open.
SanAntoneAg
AG
You can always fence all three but run the fence between feeder and blind somewhat closer to the feeder so it'll throw corn outside the fence for shots at pigs.
Aggieangler93
AG
I like the bounty! I just need to find someone near Bastrop that has a hog problem!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Watchful Ag
AG
The more pigs on the property, the more they'll tear it up.

If I was the land owner, I'm not so sure I would want my leasees purposely bringing pigs onto the property by not fencing in their feeders with hog paneling. You might want to consider discussing it with the land owner.
aggielax11
AG
The cows have been more of a nuisance lately, have one camera pointing up in the sky as of this morning lol
TarponChaser
Out of curiousity- how did you find a lease of only 145 acres? How many guns on it?

The reason I ask is that I've come across a handful of leases that size and they still want 4 guns on it.
aggielax11
AG
Honestly got lucky and found it on here.
SteveBott
AG
Tarpon how many guns depends on safety. And that depends on the lay out of the property. Ive seen hill country 140 acres that easily handle 5 blinds and 400 acres of flat farm land maybe 3 at most.
TarponChaser
aggielax11 said:

Honestly got lucky and found it on here.

Damn. Must have missed it because I would likely have been interested in it.
aggielax11
AG
I agree.
Newoldarmy
AG
I'm with those above not intentionally baiting hogs.

They'll be around the outside of pens regardless.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.