Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bobcat Mini Bar

3,488 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DaveAg02
ValleyRatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Dad passed away in February and I'm getting my Mom ready to move out and get closer to us. My Dad had this mini bar made to display his trophy bobcat. I have no room for it or I would keep it. What is a price I should settle on to sell this. I have no idea what the market is for something like this. It's made from Brazilian Parana Pine which is critically endangered (wasn't when he had it made). I appreciate any input.

AnScAggie
AG
Priceless would be my thought. I think I'd try to find room if I were you.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I have no room for it

Translation: "Not in our house!" --wife.

Just kidding man. You may have better luck trying to sell the mount & furniture separately if possible.
I'd guess $300-500 for the cat, no idea on the furniture.

Sorry for your loss, btw. Always tough trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff.... sentimentalism over 'stuff' can lead to some pretty spectacular family fights & houses full of random stuff.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Awesome idea for a mini bar.

I'd try and find a way to keep it.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Time to build a huge garage/man cave and place there. Or at least keep the bob cat and get rid of the bar part.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Believe me I've tried. He caught it in a trap, smacked with a shovel then covered its mouth and nose with a shop rag soaked in starting fluid so as not to mess up the hide. Ask Centerpole90 it's a big cat. Think my dad said it was 50 lbs.

My Dad was a tough old goat.
aggieland09
AG
I would buy this as a gift for my father in law. He is a tx state bobcat alumni and this would mean alot to him. Let me know if you are selling.

ValleyRatAg
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

I have no room for it

Translation: "Not in our house!" --wife.

Just kidding man. You may have better luck trying to sell the mount & furniture separately if possible.
I'd guess $300-500 for the cat, no idea on the furniture.

Sorry for your loss, btw. Always tough trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff.... sentimentalism over 'stuff' can lead to some pretty spectacular family fights & houses full of random stuff.

Yes, the conversations surrounding this bobcat have been going on for 10 years now. I think I might build a new house with a space for it.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I am interested, I'm not sure what a good price is, I'll give you a call when I'm out of my meeting.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Lmao don't sell that OP. See if you have a family member that wants it, or will at least get it off your hands. Oddities like this are living memories, and like someone else said, priceless...

At least keep the cat if you can.
What have ye done to surpass man?
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Agree - find a way. I know I would regret it for sure.
Sorry for your loss.
rootube
AG
Can we get pictures of the other stuff? If this your clearance item I want to feast my eyes on the keepers.
DeBoss
AG
Where is it at Valley? I'm super interested as I'm trying to furnish out a ranch house.
Al Bula
AG
1. Don't sell it, dude
2. That thing is about the most badass thing I've seen here in awhile
3. That wood is the state tree of the State of Parana and very illegal to harvest. Meaning this to say, you are not gonna find many items made out of this wood. Critically endangered.
4. Don't sell!
Aston 91
AG
I wasn't sure what to expect, but did anyone else think "Bobcat Mini Bar" might have been referring to a small component on a diminutive, highly maneuverable piece of construction equipment?
Log
AG
Cats are notoriously hard to mount and not look wonky, unlike ungulates. That's one of the better mounts I've seen, especially considering it's quite a few years old. I'd find a way to hold on to it.
TxSquarebody
If you do have to sell it, maybe you can negotiate a buyback agreement for when you do have room. That whole thing is amazing!
#Maga2k16
Don't sell it, no price is worth that type of memory
JYDog90
AG
I'm reminded of when my mom died. I cleaned out her house and left some personal things of hers so that my sister could come see what she wanted. My sister spent the weekend at my house after.

A couple of weeks later I find all this crap from my mom's house stuffed under the bed in my guest room. I text my sister, "what are you doing putting all this stuff under my bed?" She said, "it was just a lot of things that I don't think ought to be thrown away but I don't have room for it in my house."
TacosaurusRex
That's incredible, and I'm sorry for your loss. If you do really want to sell, I am absolutely interested and would drive wherever in the state to pick it up.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
puryearag85
AG
I'm interested in buying it if you decide to sell j.taz.harrison @ Gmail
rebag00
AG
Friend - don't sell that - RH was a badass and that is proof if I ever saw it. If you can get it up north, we can find a place to store it until Mrs sees the light on this one.
CactusThomas
AG
Holy **** that's badass
Aggieangler93
AG
I hope you can find a way to keep it. If not, my BIL has a big ranch house and it would look awesome there. I may be willing to store it for you for a while, if that is of interest? It would be in Harper while stored. Please put me in.line if you have to sell it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Centerpole90
AG
Crap. I opened this thread having no idea what was inside or peeking at the OP.

I instantly recognized the piece and now I'm sad af.

Totally unrelated, but here's a young Centerpole90 with the OP's late dad many, many, moons ago (probably before the OP was born) - so yeah, I'll vouch he was tough old goat and I'll miss him until I see him again.

jtp01
AG
I'm with most everyone else here. That is something your great grandkids will ask about someday. Then they will tell their grandkids about how their great great great granddaddy killed the bobcat with the back of a shovel so it wouldn't damage the hide.

My 2 sons are 6th generation to live on and work on the farm. We have the first tractor to ever roll onto the place. You want to talk about stories. It prompts my father in law to tell the various stories about different relatives and different generations. How the farm was almost lost in the 80's. But hard work and determination kept it in the family.

I'll add if you truly want to keep it and just have no room right now, I'll be happy to store it free of charge in my on farm office until a time you want it back.
Apache
AG
Quote:

here's a young Centerpole90 with the OP's late dad many, many, moons ago
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I've heard people donating this type of stuff to bars and such. Wonder if the Dixie Chicken has an empty space for it?! Probably take up too much space though for that small of a bar
ValleyRatAg
AG
Sorry CP90, I didn't mean to stir that up. Thanks for the pic, I saved it. That pic makes me think of the time he took 6 year old me and Billy Wayne 60 miles offshore one day. We ended up catching that blue marlin and were not quite prepared. I had to drive the boat while they go him in. My dad was yelling orders at me to speed up, slow down, back up and circle right/left for half an hour. I had no business having twin 250 mercs under my control. We're lucky a couple of times I didn't sink us while backing it down on him. While we were trolling out there I was too short to puke over the side so they would hold me over the side while I chummed.

You should tell them about the time he put kaliche down your pants.

Everyone else, thank you for the input. I'm going to keep it. I may have to take one of you up on storing it for a little while.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) Don't sell

B) If you do sell, let me know

C) +1 for a buy back agreement.
Ag_07
AG
For that awesomeness and the story behind it I'd pay to keep it in storage for as long as I needed to before I sold it.

Please don't sell that. You'll regret it.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Reb, how do I get a hold of you, I tried DM but it didn't work.
Bird Poo
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

Sorry CP90, I didn't mean to stir that up. Thanks for the pic, I saved it. That pic makes me think of the time he took 6 year old me and Billy Wayne 60 miles offshore one day. We ended up catching that blue marlin and were not quite prepared. I had to drive the boat while they go him in. My dad was yelling orders at me to speed up, slow down, back up and circle right/left for half an hour. I had no business having twin 250 mercs under my control. We're lucky a couple of times I didn't sink us while backing it down on him. While we were trolling out there I was too short to puke over the side so they would hold me over the side while I chummed.

You should tell them about the time he put kaliche down your pants.

Everyone else, thank you for the input. I'm going to keep it. I may have to take one of you up on storing it for a little while.
I would put the bobcat story on paper, including the description of the Brazilian wood. Laminate it and attach it to the back door of one of the cabinets. That thing should not rot in someone's shed.
Centerpole90
AG
All good brother, every memory a great one. Yes, OP's dad held me down in front of his shop when I was a yungun and filled my underwear with caliche (something I no doubt had coming); but I avenged myself later when he was showing off a boat and I pushed him off the dock at Port Mansfield. I had an ass whipping coming, but I guess he figured it was tit for tat and took it like a champ. For someone closer to my dad's age - we had friendship more like childhood friends. Maybe we were closer in age at heart.

For the rest of the board: You can only see it in bits and pieces, but that's the Redfish mounted on the wall won TIFT. IIRC it was probably not long after the introduction of the slot limit (I might be wrong, but I think it was when 30 was the limit in the early days of the slot, OP can correct me) and it was without a doubt one of the biggest sow bellied redfish I've ever seen. That fish came from a place not frequented my many before or since those days. The pictures on the wall were from the tournament but I see the actual fish is obscured in all the pictures.

DaveAg02
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

I've heard people donating this type of stuff to bars and such. Wonder if the Dixie Chicken has an empty space for it?! Probably take up too much space though for that small of a bar

For a slightly less destructive option, perhaps there is a local western wear or similar shop you might be able to store it in, meaning you still own it, but they get the eye traffic and you get the storage?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.