Outdoors
Sponsored by

Parvo in dogs

1,385 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thisguy1
Shiner79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has any one had any experience in combating PARVO in puppies?
I have two 14 week old Goldendoodles dealing with it. All shots were up to date. One has recovered and is back after a week in the hospital. The other one was admitted yesterday.
Acre fenced in back yard with dogs not leaving, so I am struggling on how they became infected. No outside dog interaction.
Looking for suggestions on yard treatment.
Thanks
drummer0415
AG
Holy quadruple thread Batman!!!
aggiedent
AG
Must be lots of it going around.......everybody's dog has Parvo!!!!
El Chupacabra
drummer0415 said:

Holy quadruple thread Batman!!!
one thread for each golden. one thread for each doodle.
OnlyForNow
AG
With no other interaction among dogs; it can be in the soil.

Are you sure no other dogs have come into the yard?

Anyone come over and play with the puppies - do they have dogs?

When did you get them - do you have their shot records from the vet when they got their first round of shots?
Thisguy1
When did they get the shots? A lot of people vaccinate too early.

And I'm betting it's in the dirt.
bmfvet
AG
Parvo is a tough virus, can last 7 years, maybe longer in than that. If the pups survive, their immunity should be pretty good. Would be a concern bringing in new puppies. I'm not aware of a good outdoor disinfectant that would work.
Vaccine schedule is important, not necessarily number of vaccines. Maternal antibodies basically prevent a response to vaccines. They loose them somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks of age. That is why vaccine series are started around 6 weeks, and boosted every 3-4 weeks until they get 2 rounds after 12 weeks of age (also why the state won't recognize a rabies vaccine until they're at least 3 months old).
‘99
Shiner79
Vaccines all up to date. We have vet records from breeder. As I have no lawn crew there has not been anyone else in the back yard other than septic tech and generator tech. Possibly my mower picked up something from the front yard and transmitted to the back yard.
I put a bag of dirt from Lowe's in some holes they dug. Thats the only thing new in the yard.
Intend to hit the yard with 10g of Sniper
OnlyForNow
AG
parvo is a virus, not an insect pest.

I don't think Sniper is going to do what you want it to.

The parvovirus can lay dormant in soil for a LONG time - potentially months to years.

You said you have records from the breeder, did they do the shots themselves or take the pups to a vet for the shots?
Thisguy1
And what does "up to date" mean? Some people vaccinate too early. Like bmfvet said, if it's before 6 weeks it's too early.

I can't tell you how many times people would come in the clinic I used to work in and say their dog has Parvo and they're mad and confused because they got their shots when come to find out they vaccinated too early or they went to the co-op and "got the shots" when they have no idea what was in it or they didn't boost it, etc. Or, the breeder gave their first shots at 6 weeks and the owners didn't bring the dog back for the boosters because they simply didn't know or they assumed since it got one it's good. Not saying any of those are you, just that there's more to it than just saying it has its shots.

Timing and the shots given mean something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.