Outdoors
Sponsored by

Waterfowl Jackets Recs

2,044 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggiewes
houstonag90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got into duck hunting this year and now that it is cooling off and season is soon to start I need to finally get a waterproof/windproof waterfowl jacket. Most of the ones that I have been looking around at seem to be quite expensive. I was hoping to get some feedback on some lower priced ones that other people might have bought in the past.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You got into the wrong type of hunting to be worried about expensive...

Half joking there but it is not cheap. You can buy once, cry once and go with something by Drake or Sitka or you can find other cheaper options.

The good news about duck hunting, especially if you already deer hunt and have camo, is that you really only need to worry about waders and a jacket. I had a cheap game winner waterproof jacket in Max-5 that worked perfectly for the first two seasons. Layer up underneath and you're all set.

I now have mostly Sitka stuff but 95% was purchased either through guide discount or on sale. It's really good stuff but it's not "needed".

Check these website for sales and gear:
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/
https://www.mackspw.com/

JeremiahJohnson
AG
You have to define expensive and inexpensive. Those are relative terms
txcincinnatus
AG
My jacket is Cabela's brand. It's been fine for me. I'm only able to hunt a few times per year, so I just can't get myself to spend the cheddar on Sitka gear.
Thisguy1
My Drake 3 in 1 jacket was the best $260 my wife ever spent on me. Coldest I've been in it is the teens and windy during a front and never as much as a shiver or a drop of water underneath. It was the last Christmas we spent before getting married and I got that jacket, a mojo, and some other duck hunting stuff and in her words, "I know once we're married you'd get mad if I spent this much on you so I did it before you had a say in it."
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Wing Supply. They have discounted duck hunting gear. I got a Russell wading jacket from there years ago before my Drake gear and still use it every once in a while.
MrWonderful
AG
I would get a good shell jacket ( I own a Columbia wigeon wader) then layer up with normal jackets / clothing underneath. That way you have a jacket that will take you from early season to January.
MarkPro
I also have a Drake 3 in 1, and I love it. If I could make one change to it (and maybe Drake already has) I would have two way zippers on all of the components. Being able to zip up from the bottom while seated in the boat or blind would prevent the garment from bunching up in my lap. Other than that, I love it, and am a firm believer in "Buy once, cry once"
RightWingConspirator
AG
Yup, I, too, have the Drake 3-1 jacket. Now I just need to use it. Last year I hunted in Venice, LA and did not have a waterproof jacket. Big mistake. Get one and don't go cheap.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
water turkey
Get a good Gore Tex shell jacket and you can layer another coat under it.
96ags
AG
You have to buy stuff in the offseason if you can.

Keep an eye on this site frequently and you can find some deals.

https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/pages/pit
Scotty88
AG
Try these guys for a deal... https://www.txfowlers.com/
wheelz
AG
I just got a sitka dakota hoodie but I haven't used it yet so I can't give you an opinion other than I did a ton of research before buying it.
hlfarmsag
Filson is the best
Duck Blind
AG
Love my Sitka gear.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Sierra.com has a couple duckin jackets up right now. Is Banded brand any good?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
NRD09 said:

Sierra.com has a couple duckin jackets up right now. Is Banded brand any good?

The few things I had from them all cane apart at the seams except for the neoprene decoy gloves. I have had those for years and they work great still.
ArmchairCowboy
AG
My nephew pulled
Into the parking lot at Scheels to buy a new coat for duck hunting. As he is exiting his car he sees a guy running from the store trailed by two policemen. The guy is running his way so he summons his inner Terry Tate and **** cans the guy on an asphalt parking lot.

The cops are grateful as is the store manager that watched everything go down from inside. They talk for awhile as he's making the police report and the manager tells him to go up and grab any duck gear he wants. So now he's fully outfitted in Sitka duck gear... nice stuff.
SockDePot
I don't do a ton of duck hunting, maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

I've had a fairly cheap game winner jacket that hasn't let me down.

Spend your money on waders, and go for insulated boots. It's much better to have hot feet, than to think you're going to lose a toe due to frostbite due to cold and wet socks.
Camo
Highly recommend you get a zip in lined jacket.

Too hot only wear the outer shell

Cold wear full jacket.

https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/collections/men-wf-jackets-systems/products/refuge-3-0-3-in-1-jacket
goatchze
AG
SockDePot said:

I don't do a ton of duck hunting, maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

I've had a fairly cheap game winner jacket that hasn't let me down.

Spend your money on waders, and go for insulated boots. It's much better to have hot feet, than to think you're going to lose a toe due to frostbite due to cold and wet socks.
I have a Game Winner outer jacket as well, and it has worked fine. And I do a lot of duck hunting.

I don't depend on the jacket to keep me warm; just dry. The multiple layers, and sometimes even an extra jacket, underneath that shell is what keeps me warm. Have hunted in the mid teens several times without issue.

My advice would be spend the money on premium/quality gloves.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Exactly right. Spend money on gloves, thermals, and waders. I've got some fairly cheap cabelas brand jackets that do the job just fine. Just make sure you layer up appropriately.
Aggiewes
AG
Little late to the party but I went to Academy last week and bought a Magellan Pintail jacket for $80. Will do just fine and has some nice features. Good option if you don't want to break the bank.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.