Outdoors
Sponsored by

Here I sit at Guadalupe Mt National park

4,577 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MouthBQ98
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
High yesterday was 85 and it was a beautiful fall color change in sunny conditions.

High today might not hit 40, low tonight is mid 20's with sleet and snow.

Fortunately I came with lots of layers and set up to sleep in my Xterra, and brought 2 old 20 degree bags I have plus a fleece liner and blanket. Hiking today is going to be brutal. Oh well, that is why I am here. Crappy part is I might not get to see any views because I will probably be in the clouds all day.
college of AG
AG
Was there 2 weeks ago. Great hiking!

The wind was crazy and very cold up top even 2 weeks ago. I can't imagine it today.

Hope the clouds lift and the hiking is good. Be careful!
SunrayAg
AG
My wife and I hiked Mckittrick canyon on Saturday. It was awesome!
Martin Cash
AG
Rule #1
FSGuide
Yeah, when I hiked to the top last year the weather was beautiful below probably 7500'. Above that was dense fog & rain. Visibility up top was probably 30-40'. Got back down to the bottom that afternoon and weather was perfect again. I need to go back again so I can get pics of the view.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Post a picture ******** so I can experience it too
What have ye done to surpass man?
AgDad121619
AG
Totally random fact , but I was part of the 1st group to summit Signal peak for the decade starting in 1980. Our Boy Scout troop backpacked in over the Christmas holidays and hiked to the peak the morning of Jan 1, 1980. What this really means is I'm getting old.
Naveronski
AG
Roster4Ag said:

Post a picture ******** so I can experience it too

Solo hike starting around 0245 to make it before daybreak.
Photos of the sun just starting to rise and a breakfast beer.

MouthBQ98
AG
Guadalupe Mts part of the trip. In an afternoon and a day I hiked to devils hall, Guadalupe Peak, and drive to McKittrick canyon and hiked to the grotto.

Sorry about the sideways vertical shots. I can't figure out how to rotate them.

Anyhow. Devi's hall was a warm afternoon and that canyon was in full color change. It was great.

That evening the first surge of cold came in and I got up to overcast just above freezing cold. Bundled up and started up the mountain at 8am. Made good time by myself and as I climbed I started seeing sleet and ice in the cloud layer. It gave me a literal "frosted tips" hairstyle. It was accumulating on everything not on the ground. Eventually I broke out of the cloud layer into the sun about 7500 feet or so and it started getting warm. I mean, 25-30 degrees warmer than just below the cloud tops as I climbed. A combination of cool air sinking, the direct sun, and a west breeze blowing warmer desert flats air in from the west. Removed lots of layers, liked to the top, took pics, and came back down. When I hit the cloud layer it got bitterly cold again and there was lots of ice and sleet.

Got down, had lunch, then drive over to mckittrick and didn't get started until about 2:45 so I had to do a forced March to make the grotto and get back to get out before the gate was closed. That entire hike was overcast and sleeting, and temps never above mid 30's at best.

Sunday night was canned chili heated behind a Boulder for a wind block, in freezing temps and sleet. I had to forgo my planned victory beer. And slept in 2 mummy bags in the back of my Nissan. It hit 23F and started snowing briskly at about 5am. That made packing up and driving home interesting for the first 40 miles or so but then the accumulation thinned out on the roads. It was icy with intermittent sleet nearly to Menard, however.

Great trip. Will post some on Big Bend Ranch portion later.

SunrayAg
AG
Glad I got there before the weather changed!
Mr. Frodo
AG
Wow! Have yourself a day! Great story and pics... thanks for sharing.
Naveronski
AG
Crazy weather but beautiful photos!
MouthBQ98
AG
I forgot to mention, Texas is now a foot higher.
NoahAg
After a beautiful hike why punish yourself with an IPA?
AtlAg05
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I forgot to mention, Texas is now a foot higher.

You're supposed to bury it in the ground. Manners!!!

BwdAg
AG
I did the peak at the end of September. It took me 8 hours. That is what getting old does.

Nice canyon photo and cool pics.
flyingaggie12
AG
Round trip?
MouthBQ98
AG
Had to be.

Big Bend ranch:
Bear tracks? Sure look like them to me.

YellowPot_97
30wedge
Those are some amazing pics. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. Well done!
BwdAg
AG
Yes. Round trip
Rooster4Ag
Naveronski
AG
NoahAg said:

After a beautiful hike why punish yourself with an IPA?

Because I didn't want to bring a glass bottle with me.
And I like IPA's.
Unemployed
AG
Rule #1 fulfilled.
MouthBQ98
AG
That was last time. This time a big rock happened to appear next to the monument. I'm sure it will be moved by someone soon enough.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Great pics!

Check your PM!
MouthBQ98
AG
Note. Big Bend Ranch trails just about fully open now. I am headed back this weekend
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Note. Big Bend Ranch trails just about fully open now. I am headed back this weekend
Open Boquillas and the hot springs!
Hey...so.. um
I was there last week. Spent 2 nights camping the back country and one at Pine Springs Campground.

Great fun! We had perfect weather. We did Bush Mountain, Guad peak and Devil's Hall (all the way to the end)
AggieOO
MouthBQ98 said:

i'm hitting the NP this month, state park next month, and NP again in Jan.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Quote:

Sorry about the sideways vertical shots. I can't figure out how to rotate them.

FamousAgg
Gordon Ramsey?
MouthBQ98
AG
No, but we talk a lot alike when We are irritated with the incompetence of others.

That's 3 days of bed-head plus icing mist and sleet.
Unemployed
AG
You lost some weight, huh?
MouthBQ98
AG
Was once up to 217lb about 6 years ago. Now I'm about 163 of so. Took a long time, but I'm as fit now as I was at 19. A little slower on the run but I can do more pull-ups by far.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.