Outdoors
Sponsored by

***Waterfowl '20-21***

17,710 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ATX_AG_08
John The Savage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know regular season duck opener is still a few weeks away for most of you but it kicked off strong out here in the Pacific Flyway.

Opener for Nevada was this past weekend and because of a new baby I couldn't make it out to the prime areas. Still shot 4 teal, a mallard a spec and a Canada.

Oregon was going off this past weekend. A buddy of mine shot a 3 man limit (30 birds) of Specs within 40 minutes of opening. He said they were landing on his layout.

He went back the next day and shot 21 more.

If you are thinking of hunting out west this year we are really low on water. Many of the ponds have dried up meaning what local birds we have are forced into higher pressure areas. This means the hunters are too.
“A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”
Speckled Trout
AG
10 bird limit on Specs? That's some bull*****
John The Savage
They make up for it by letting you have 25 coots

ETA: isn't the limit on specs in Texas 5?
“A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”
SharkinAg
AG
I was told by a guide that we frequently hunt with that Cajuns loved making coot jambalaya. Not sure if that's true or not.
PharmD4
AG
Texas dates
Post removed:
by user
Back2Back
AG
If anyone needs a new call, PM me. I'm located in Katy and make custom duck calls

Post removed:
by user
RO519
AG
But how do they sound...
Back2Back
AG
I'm biased but of course I think they sound great. I had a prototype that placed in a call making competition earlier in the summer that was scored strictly off sound. They are a mid-open water call, a bit larger exhaust bore to get it loud but also has plenty of hold and a great amount of rasp.

https://www.facebook.com/woodcreekcarpentry

PM me and I'd be happy to send you a sound file
Trinity Ag
S
How much do they cost?
jellycheese
AG
SharkinAg said:

I was told by a guide that we frequently hunt with that Cajuns loved making coot jambalaya. Not sure if that's true or not.
Pouldeau gizzard gravy was a breakfast staple at my grandmothers house in Sulphur.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
RO519 said:

But how do they sound...
Can confirm that they sound great, in addition to looking awesome!
Back2Back
AG
95$ for your typical hedge, cocobolo, ABW calls. Your exotic and dyed burls will start around 115$ and up depending on any inlays and customization
Back2Back
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

RO519 said:

But how do they sound...
Can confirm that they sound great, in addition to looking awesome!
Thank you bud!
TH36
I need a new duck call, I'll PM you.
John The Savage
You got any honker calls?
Back2Back
AG
No honkers unfortunately. Haven't got into that quite yet!
RO519
AG
Just giving you a hard time. Good looking calls
John The Savage
Can you make an OB edition?
Back2Back
AG
That would be pretty sweet!
southernskies
Any luck out there? We should have had a two man limit on the coast but had some bad misses. Bagged 7 instead. Bird numbers seemed to be good.
Trinity Ag
S
We shot a six man limit in about 1:45 Saturday around Eagle Lake.

24 BW
8 GW
2 Pintails
1 Widgeon
1 Spooney

There were so many birds, we couldn't figure out which ones to shoot at.

Sunday was much more sparse.
Strongwind86
AG
3 of us hunted Rockport area last weekend.

Saturday morning we each got our two redheads and a pintail.
Also got a bluebill.

Sunday morning we each got our two redheads. Not alot moving. Really calm.

We didn't see any teal/gadwall/widgeon over the weekend.
jellycheese
AG
20 minutes West of Eagle Lake. Shot a five man in 30 minutes Saturday. Limited pintail and the rest were 50/50 bwt and gwt. They were landing in the decoys while we were packing up. So insane. Never seen it like this.

Sunday the fog was so thick you couldn't see them until they were already on top of you. Much slower morning. Shot 15. 3 pintail and the rest teal plus a spoonie. Most were shot between 9:30 and 10:00 as the fog started to finally burn off.
Maximus Johnson
AG
We hunted POC Saturday morning and all got our redheads & pintail plus a bonus teal.

Sunday morning the fog was so thick in POC we couldn't see 100 yards in front of us. Still limited on red heads plus a pair of widgeon and one pintail
dmperch
AG
Had a hell of a weekend in Corpus. Mixed bag on Saturday with spoonies, pintail, reds, and teal. Took us about an hour or so. Only shot a 4 man of reds on Sunday but we were packed up by 7:00 am and started fishing. Ducks decoyed perfectly all weekend. We even started to pick out drakes or just watch them swim around

water turkey
Terrible sw of Sealy. Worst opening morning in years.
PharmD4
AG
Hardly ideal weather, but the birds were compliant. Dropped all 10 before 6:45, didn't miss a bird between the two of us. Gads, teal, woodies.

Feels great to get the season rolling.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Girl had some work today

Panfish
AG
Opening weekend in South Louisiana. Saw many more ducks in the area than in the past 2-3 years. Very encouraging.

Finished about 9:45. Should have been finished by about 8:00...if I could shoot straight.

water turkey
Still slow for us SW of Sealy. Need a front and some rain.
stepwall
AG
Good day in the Butte Sink of Northern California..

Chamonix
Back2Back said:

That would be pretty sweet!

I'd be in for a OB edition

4 Gadwalls
2 BW
1 Green Wing

At sunrise I watch a cloud of what had to be a few thousand birds take off. It almost felt biblical
CS78

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.