Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ok OB need some advise on carrying this load...

3,948 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SMM48
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I volunteered to take a load of wood to the deer lease. I loaded about 75% of this pic and the neighbor added the rest. So now the 71 is pretty loaded up.

I need to go mix road/highway about 55 miles. I can go 35-55 MPH and get there slow.

Question? What tire pressure should I set The tires?

Am I a dumbass and should unload about a quarter of the load?

Am I just a dumbass in general for this load?

Thanks for any serious replies

SteveBott
AG
Also 600 cost new tires with 6-7k miles on them
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I know nothing about the load capacity and tire pressure but that does not look good for the shocks.

Looks like a couple blown shocks waiting to happen as you leave the driveway.
SteveBott
AG
Brand new shocks. 2k on them at most. Back tires need air. Should I go 40? Or just 33-35?

Or just abandon ship?

FYI this beast can handle a load. It's a tank.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The tires are damn near flat. Regarding tire pressure, what ply tires are they and what is the cold PSI max? Cruising around empty you can probably get away with 32-35 PSI but loaded down, I would run 44 or 50, assuming the tire allows it. I would max the rears and pump the fronts to at least 35-40.
meggy09
AG
Doesn't look like that heavy of a load. Guess they don't make trucks like they used to.
SteveBott
AG
Thank you sir.

I can detail the tires Tomorrow..
SMM48
AG

Load rating on the sport sats is 1984lbs

Max psi is 50lbs

Chances are you are riding on the rear bumpstops.....if the 71 has them.

When you changed the shocks did you change springs as well?

I wouldn't ride the bumpstops like that. Unload half or get a trailer.

No sense risking failure for firewood.
Todd 02
AG
You should be worried about more than just tires, but let's start there...

First of all, your tires will have a certain carrying capacity at a certain cold pressure (eg. max load 2,640 lbs at 50 psi cold). That means the tire will carry that much weight at that cold pressure. Cold pressure is simply the pressure measured before the vehicle is driven and when the temperature of the air inside the tire is approximately equal to the air temperature outside.

You're probably thinking, but my truck has a sticker inside the door that says what the tire pressure should be. That's right! And it's lower than the max. And the reason for that is tires operate best at certain pressures based on the load they are carrying. If the load weighs less, one can reduce the tire pressure.

In the example max load above, one could carry 5,280 lbs, including the weight of the vehicle, on a single axle with the tires at 50 psi cold, IF:
-the axle was also rated for that much weight
-the suspension was also rated for that much weight
-the vehicle frame was also rated for that much weight.

You should also consider the GVWR of your vehicle and the cargo capacity. Usually not a good idea to carry more weight than your truck was designed for.

Sure looks as if you're overloaded.
P.U.T.U
AG
I would be more worried about the brakes than the tires
jtp01
AG
That is a clean pickup. Are you seriously considering damage to the pickup over firewood? If it were me, I wouldn't risk it. Make multiple trips or rent a trailer if you don't have one.

I know the mileage you are looking at seems minimal, but that's a lot of stress on a really nice pickup.
hillcountryag86
AG
I want that truck.
AggieChemist
AG
That's two loads.
CS78
Inflate tires to max stated psi, move load as far forward as possible, look under it to see how far you are from the bump stops and evaluate. Biggest concern is worn tired springs and if you might damage them.

It does look overloaded to me. After you do the above, remove wood from the very back until you feel comfortable with it.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Only traveling 55 miles? Two trips seems like a no-brainer to not damage the truck.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Put some air in the tires, drive slow and you will be fine.
mt3950
AG
Go to UHaul and rent a trailer?
Gone Camping
AG
Todd 02 said:

You should be worried about more than just tires, but let's start there...

First of all, your tires will have a certain carrying capacity at a certain cold pressure (eg. max load 2,640 lbs at 50 psi cold). That means the tire will carry that much weight at that cold pressure. Cold pressure is simply the pressure measured before the vehicle is driven and when the temperature of the air inside the tire is approximately equal to the air temperature outside.

You're probably thinking, but my truck has a sticker inside the door that says what the tire pressure should be. That's right! And it's lower than the max. And the reason for that is tires operate best at certain pressures based on the load they are carrying. If the load weighs less, one can reduce the tire pressure.

In the example max load above, one could carry 5,280 lbs, including the weight of the vehicle, on a single axle with the tires at 50 psi cold, IF:
-the axle was also rated for that much weight
-the suspension was also rated for that much weight
-the vehicle frame was also rated for that much weight.

You should also consider the GVWR of your vehicle and the cargo capacity. Usually not a good idea to carry more weight than your truck was designed for.

Sure looks as if you're overloaded.
What Todd said. Max psi on the tires for hauling.
I'd haul that much wood in the bed of my 3/4 ton. Not sure I'd be comfortable squatting a sweet old truck like that. I'm sure you'll go to the lease more than once this year. Lighten your load and spread it out over a couple of trips.
Ark03
AG
meggy09 said:

Doesn't look like that heavy of a load. Guess they don't make trucks like they used to.

It's a good thing!
jellycheese
AG
You're only an hour away from the lease. Make two trips.

Or break the truck and sell it to me.
docb
AG
The way that load has the back of the truck sitting down that low in the back just looks like a terrible idea to me.
Rattler12
One of the problems for the l;ate 60's/ early 70's era Chevy trucks was the fact that they have a coil spring rear suspension. Not conducive to load carrying
up-n-aTm
AG
The real question is- what kind of wood is that? Looks like ash.
Animal
AG
I'm in Allen and have a trailer you are welcome to borrow...
Aggieangler93
AG
Rent a trailer. A truck can pull a lot more than it can haul.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
yeah 2 trips or rent a uhaul open bed trailer. Is that one of the years that has trailing arms/coils? If so that's why it's squatting so bad but I wouldn't push it. Could bend an axle or housing if it's riding on the bumpstops
Tx95Ag
AG
Bradford Pear?

And that's a sweet ride. Probably worth2 loads, just to double the time you spend cruising.
rootube
AG
Love your truck. I would take the wood out. My recommendation is take tour best girl out for a ride and take a hard left when you want to snuggle up and a hard right when you need your space. Or is it the other way around?
Cromagnum
AG
Get a trailer or split that into two loads.
Serious Lee
i had lowes set a 3,000 lb pallet of stones into the bed of my '07 half ton silverado the other week to see if i could handle it and it was sagging about like that. I didnt even want to chance it and i was just going about 5 miles. one bump in the road and i figured the whole suspension wouldve buckled.

you also gotta figure how difficult/dangerous trying to turn that rig is going to be
SteveBott
AG
Ok you guys talked me out of dumbass mode. I will unload the damn thing. I have a trailer hitch and trailers are a cheap rental. Like I said the first pic was my load. Then my my old Chinese neighbor, great people btw, kept adding load when I was inside. I came out and saw what he did and went well that is interesting.

Pic of the rest of the load. We should have some good burns this deer season!
SteveBott
AG
This was my granddaddy's truck. Passed down to me. 71 Chevy C-10 with a 350 8 automatic trans.

Bonus: his NRA sticker
SteveBott
AG
Update. Here is what I took off

SteveBott
AG
Here is what I have now

Now just air up all the tires and ready for delivery
Tx95Ag
AG
Looks a lot better. Enjoy the ride.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.