Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Smells Rotten

4,970 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HalifaxAg
RebelE91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our 12 year old lab-ish is getting pretty rank, and it's not an issue with bathing. It smells like she is rotting from the inside out to the point where we can now smell her before we see her. Anybody have any ideas before we take her to the vet? My wife started giving her apple cider vinegar in her food to no avail and we also switched her food to no avail. Smells like she could have a glandular issue or perhaps some kind of infection. Any insight would be appreciated.
magnumtmp
AG
Any roadkill close by?
Forum Troll
AG
Teeth?
Prune Tracy
rather be fishing
AG
Teeth, anal glands, or an abcess would be my thoughts if it isn't rolling in something.
STX Ag
AG
B1-83 canned beans recipe??
rally-cap
AG
rather be fishing said:

Teeth, anal glands, or an abcess would be my thoughts if it isn't rolling in something.
This. My dog had an anal gland issue when he was younger, and it was not pleasant to be around. It smelled like fish, all of the time. I consulted a vet and they suggested switching to a new food, so I switched him to Blue Buffalo, and haven't had an issue since.
texican08
AG
If it's anal gland issues I've had success feeding them canned pumpkin mixed into their normal food to help firm their feces and express the glands.

You can also finger their butthole which has the same effect.
Slamn Sharpe
texican08 said:

If it's anal gland issues I've had success feeding them canned pumpkin mixed into their normal food to help firm their feces and express the glands.

We've also done the pumpkin/food mix trick
FamousAgg
texican08 said:

I'm gonna go with the canned pumpkin there Bob...
Animal
AG
Check for ear infection as well...
wheelz
AG
You can always glove up and express those anal glands yourself.
CowtownJD
Animal said:

Yes, smell the ears.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I hate to say this but I'd have an x-ray done.. we had a 12 year old golden who this happened to and she was full of cancer.
Slamn Sharpe
CowtownJD said:

Animal said:

Yes, smell the ears.

Our male doberman had infected ears when they were cropped. You could smell it several feet away and it was disgusting
Na Zdraví 87
AG
When my daughters dog comes over, he likes to roll in cow shiet. Any cattle near by?
Moy
pseudomonas smells horrible. Check the dogs ears. Bacteria infections are common in floppy eared dogs.

And be careful giving vinegar. Lowering pH unnecessarily when giving vinegar can cause lots of problems.
agcivengineer
AG
Ours smelled bad about a week ago....ear infection
MilanoCowboy
AG
If the ears are fine, express the anal glands. One gland on each side of the anus.. You can try the pumpkin, but it's not 100%. Put an old wash cloth over the area and squeeze with two fingers, each finger about an inch away on each side of the poop shoot, almost like you're pinching. Push in about 3/4 of an inch. Use gloves if you want. But, if you don't cover the area with a cloth, you will get a face full. Have someone hold the dog by the collar. Oh, and do this outside.....
Milano Cowboy
JYDog90
AG
MilanoCowboy said:

If the ears are fine, express the anal glands. One gland on each side of the anus.. You can try the pumpkin, but it's not 100%. Put an old wash cloth over the area and squeeze with two fingers, each finger about an inch away on each side of the poop shoot, almost like you're pinching. Push in about 3/4 of an inch. Use gloves if you want. But, if you don't cover the area with a cloth, you will get a face full. Have someone hold the dog by the collar. Oh, and do this outside.....

You forgot "have your wife or a buddy video said procedure...in landscape mode."
Formerly Willy Wonka
FamousAgg
Are these some kind of scent gland for marking territory? What is the purpose of these glands?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
gigemJTH12
AG
KorbinDallas said:

texican08 said:

I'm gonna go with the canned pumpkin there Bob...
lol'd
Old Tom Morris
Groomers will do the ass fingering. So if you think that could be the issue and don't have the stomach for it, that's an option and you'll get an overall clean dog back.
MilanoCowboy
AG
KorbinDallas said:

Are these some kind of scent gland for marking territory? What is the purpose of these glands?
It does serve as a way to mark territory. But, I think main purpose is when dog gets the bejeezus scared out of it, the scent is a repellant, much like a skunk's scent gland. Cat's have the same gland.
Milano Cowboy
Noname124398
Possibly grass burs. My golden gets them stuck in his fur and i think they start to decompose/rot and make him stink. That's just my theory though. I've also noticed a correlation between his stink and horniness (is that a word? lol). When he starts getting the hots for every blanket in the house, he starts to stink. Maybe musk or something along those lines.
Noname124398
Anal gland stench usually has a pretty distinct fishy/rotting fish smell. It is pretty distinguishable from other forms of dog stank.
ratfacemcdougal
OverSeas AG said:

MilanoCowboy said:

And this is one of the many reasons being a vet was not in my future. (Of course my grades could have been a factor too, but we don't need to go there! )
The exotic pet doctor on tv has said many times she got away from cats and dogs so she did not have to express anal glands anymore.
RebelE91
AG
Thanks for all of the advice! I got busy yesterday and wasn't able to respond until now. It's definitely not the ears, or at least that we can tell. They smell fine. It's not rolling in feces, because she does like to find and roll in deer feces, and that is very apparent. It seems like it's coming from her skin on her entire body.

Just this weekend somebody else recommended switching to Blue dog food. We bought the Blue chicken, rice, etc. We'll see how that works. I'll add some pumpkin to her food, and I'm at the point where expressing her anal glands seems appealing. Because she smells that bad.
Serious Lee
is she dragging her a** on the carpet at all? people always think of worms but usually tell tale sign that anal glands are filled up.
RebelE91
AG
Quote:

is she dragging her a** on the carpet at all? people always think of worms but usually tell tale sign that anal glands are filled up.
No not that we can tell. I haven't seen anything like that.
HalifaxAg
AG
If it's the glands your vet will do it for $10-15, best money you'll ever spend. My dog has problems with the anal glands and that's a stink you want no part of.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.