Outdoors
Sponsored by

big walnut tables (Agrams' wood)

6,307 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sometimes you dont have to do much other than just let the natural character and shape of the wood show itself off.

this is 1 of two tables in the same style with claro walnut burl crosscut tops.

agrams
AG
its hard to get a good picture of the top without a reflection in it.. has to disable one of my t8 fixtures to take this pic.
JonSnow
Incredible work.
nonameag99
Beautiful

Did you harvest the top?

The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
cageybee77
TexDill15
AG
Incredible!!
SPF250
AG
Agrams has big wood. Errrr.....Ummm....
Post removed:
by user
malenurse
AG
jayelbee said:

Where's this one going?
Never ask a man where he's putting his wood...
Allen76
AG
I love it. Black Walnut is probably my favorite even over the exotics. Is that grown in Texas ?.

I have a black walnut stump about 1/3 that size that has been in my shop for about 30 years. It was on my grandfathers land and my uncle had a dozer pull it up for me when they were dozing cedars. I dont know if it is any good any more. I was going to make a bowl out of it.... one of a bunch of unfinished projects.
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
I hope we can get that thing through my front door!

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Bird Poo
AG
That is fantastic. That live edge with the light color in the old growth has a divine look. Like a da Vinci painting.

I think you will easily sell several of these!
JYDog90
AG
I guess I'd better turn in my man card. All I see when I look at that beautiful table is imagining walking in the room and finding one of my kids' big ole sweaty, full McDonald's cups that's been left overnight on it.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aggiedent
AG
I can't imagine how a little irregularity on the perimeter makes it impractical.

Beautiful table.
agrams
AG
nonameag99, I did not harvest this. It is a claro walnut base, not an eastern black walnut. If this tree grew in texas it would have been the Texas champion walnut tree.

jayelbee, this is going in an office for an Ag (and a second table will also go in the same office that I should have finished up in the next day or two). I also have a few standing desk tops that will go in the same office.

Allen, It is impressive how long wood can stay usable as long as it isn't sitting in water. I've seen a log sit on the ground for 8 years and still was wet in the middle but solid as a rock.

colag, that was a concern, as the burl pieces of the cut have very sharp/spikey and needed to be rounded out. I am keeping the base orientation to the top piece flexible so the customer can adjust/turn the table to best fit the use. The tables intended purpose is for the buyer to sit with 1-2 customers and converse.

willy, the table finish schedule is a few coats of shellac then a water based lacquer which is very durable, then waxed. The finish is the same as I have used on my dining table which daily has cups of water sit on it overnight and I have yet to see any water damage after nearly 8 years of daily use and 2 boys doing their best/worst to it.
agrams
AG
on the burl sections of the slabs, the edge profiles were sharp and had to get rounded out.

I will pull some pics on the build process of the base/skirts/side desks. I've been so dang busy trying to get stuff done I havent been documenting or posting much.
agz win
AG
Beautiful works of art. Highly impressive, sir.
Hwy30East
Beautiful as always!

You should have a YouTube channel for your work.
CaptnCarl
AG
Agrams, do you do other custom items?

I'm contemplating a peg drawer system. It seems very simple, but I do not own a lathe for the pegs. Contemplating if this is an opportunity to dive into wood working, or pay a professional.

https://www.wwhardware.com/rev-a-shelf-4dps-walnut-drawer-peg-system
mpl35
AG
aggiedent said:

I can't imagine how a little irregularity on the perimeter makes it impractical.

Beautiful table.
Some people are OCD......
Post removed:
by user
Slamn Sharpe
malenurse said:

jayelbee said:

Where's this one going?
Never ask a man where he's putting his wood...

Unless you're a lady, you can never be too sure
agrams
AG
you could buy your own, but gotta find a slab!
NoahAg
I could do that if I had the tools. And a shop. And skillz.
agrams
AG
Carl, 90% of what I do is custom work, and mainly for Aggies through this forum (or from word-of-mouth from them recommending me to other people). That peg system does look pretty cool, I hadn't seen anything like that (though I haven't been really looking at storage options).
aggie appraiser
I'm an admirer of your magnificent wood.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
mpl35
AG
A grams. When are you going to get semi caught up and get me some bed side tables
cadetjay02
AG
That's a great hunk of wood.
I got a question for you though- I'm in Collin County and want to source some nice 2x8 or 2x10 hardwood lumber, is there a supplier around here that you would recommend?
nactownag
AG
Proud owner of this piece of work! Will post pictures when it's installed with the other desk! The second desk pictured here is a walnut on a variable desk frame.

The other desk is just as awesome I think!

Highly recommend working with this Aggie. It's been a great experience.

Wearer of the Ring
AG
Amazing
Post removed:
by user
agrams
AG
you see what you wanna see man....
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.