Outdoors
Sponsored by

My neighbor's hunters shot me and my truck yesterday

6,433 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Picard
yakin ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fun story for the board. I just returned from a CO archery hunt, and wanted to get to the lease to trim limbs away from a tripod stand in preparation for the archery opener. On the way down my driveway, just past my in-law's house, my neighbor had friends dove hunting in his field. I rolled my window down and gave a friendly wave as we drove by. They waved back. I drove another 5 seconds or so and pellets hit the side of my truck, hit my arm hanging out, and bounced around inside the cab with my FIL, my 7 year old son, and me. The shot raised whelps on my arm and broke skin on my FIL's hand. I was livid. Stopped the truck, not-so-politely let them know they had just shot my truck, and continued on my way. I was too mad to have a conversation at that point and will chat with the landowner about the incident next week (he wasn't there, at the hospital with his wife having a baby). I elected not to call the game warden.

Moral of the story, watch out for idiots with firearms.
ag_pete09
AG
People are dumb.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wow! Did they wave back at you with only one finger?
FC12
Um...Game Warden will probably be trying to find out who you and your neighbors are after reading this.

bdgol07
AG
They were close enough to see you and hit you with bird shot causing a skin break and you didn't call the authorities? There must be more to this story. 10/10 times would either talk to them or call the warden
EMY92
AG
If somebody shoots my truck, I'm shooting back.

The dings to me will heal, my paint won't.
yakin ag
AG
bdgol07 said:

They were close enough to see you and hit you with bird shot causing a skin break and you didn't call the authorities? There must be more to this story. 10/10 times would either talk to them or call the warden
I recognized one of the guys, have drank beer with him before. I honestly think they swung on a dove and we were behind it.
yakin ag
AG
EMY92 said:

I checked the paint before I drove off, was able to rub out the spots where the shot hit. I don't think it was permanent.
JSKolache
AG
was it Dick Cheney?
agfan2013
AG
You're a way calmer person than I am. No way somebody hits me and my vehicle with birdshot and just gets a free pass on it.
Slamn Sharpe
agfan2013 said:

You're a way calmer person than I am. No way somebody hits me and my vehicle with birdshot and just gets a free pass on it.

With his son in the vehicle too. Nicest victim ever!
yakin ag
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

agfan2013 said:

I certainly wasn't going to pull my grendel out of the backseat and return fire. I suppose I could've called the game wardens, but I think I can make sure this never happens again without burning a bridge with a good neighbor.
Slamn Sharpe
yakin ag said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

agfan2013 said:

I certainly wasn't going to pull my grendel out of the backseat and return fire. I suppose I could've called the game wardens, but I think I can make sure this never happens again without burning a bridge with a good neighbor.

Calling the police or whipping the crap out of them would have only been my 2 options
aggiedent
AG
If you ever decide to "whip the crap" out of several people with firearms, please film it, and let your widow post the video on TexAgs.
STX Ag
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

yakin ag said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

agfan2013 said:

Calling the police or whipping the crap out of them would have only been my 2 options
You could always pull out the HAMMER!
yakin ag
AG
On a side note, I got my first kill with my new grendel an hour later

Ag_07
AG
Whether it were a call to the GW or a stern talkin to in person either way I would've handled right then and there.

The message will be go on deaf ears if handled at a later time.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am with OP. I don't get too much time to go hunting and fishing these days. I am not going to waste it on some jackasses. Handle that mess when you get home or while driving. And I am not getting into a fist fight or a gun fight over some paint on a truck and some pepper.
MisterShipWreck
agfan2013 said:

Sho nuff....
Ragoo
AG
At minimum jump out and flag them over for a stern talking to about safety. No bird it worth peppering someone even if unintentional.
AnScAggie
AG
This brings back a funny, dumb stuff teenagers do, story as well. My cousin and I were going dove hunting at the farm I grew up on and his sister's boyfriend wanted to come along. Neither me nor my cousin liked the boyfriend so when it came time to divvy up the hunting spots my cousin and I each took the opposite fence lines and we put him in a clump of brush between us just so we could pepper him. I bet my cousin and I only got maybe 5 doves each, but we each peppered him at least 25 times. It was the best waste of a box of shells ever, he also never asked to go hunting with us again.
Centerpole90
AG
I was curious what Ol' Bob Knight was up to these days.
SPF250
AG

"Ow. You shot me you a-hole."
Mas89
AG
We had a lease south of Benavides years ago. The deer hunting was bad but it had a nice tank that was unbelievable dove hunting. We would surround the tank but it was not big enough to safely shoot across with hunters on the other sides. Was not uncommon to get peppered especially when 8 or 10 people were hunting so I always wore glasses. Years after we had moved off that lease a friend was at his work desk rubbing his eyebrow and a birdshot pellet fell onto his desk. He said he remembered being peppered one time and had no idea the shot had stuck.
Aggie Rick
AG
Would OP hand the guy some lube if he caught him in bed with his wife?
@Aggie_Rick
Unemployed
AG
EMY92 said:

So you want to commit a felony?

You're dumber than the people that accidentally shot you.
Post removed:
by user
Picard
AG
Aggie Rick said:

Nah, he'd just rush over to post about it on TexAgs.

Oh....and no lube is needed FYI
yakin ag
AG
Picard said:

Aggie Rick said:

Nah, he'd just rush over to post about it on TexAgs.

Oh....and no lube is needed FYI

17,410 posts on texags...
yakin ag
AG
Aggie Rick said:

Stay classy Rick.
SteveBott
AG
Aggie Rick uncalled for. Full stop.
CSTXAg92
AG
yakin ag said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

agfan2013 said:

Calling sheriff/GW after getting shot (close enough to break skin AND with family in the truck) isn't something I'd think would burn a bridge. If I'm the landowner, I'd DEFINTATELY want to know this happened.
Gunny456
AG
I commend you for your reason. I'm sure if they are your friends the embarrassment and shame they feel will affect them more than anything else.
I can't count how many times I have been peppered with bird shot wile dove hunting over the years.
Sometimes by members of my own hunting group believe it or not.
AggieChemist
AG
Late to the thread. How much sweet tea do we need??
Gunny456
AG
What would have been accomplished by call ing LEO's? There was a time in this country that neighbors handled things between themselves. Where I come from we still do.
I'm sure the guy did not shoot at his truck on purpose and having a conversation with his neighbor about It makes good sense. Let the landowner have the opportunity to handle it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.