Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mountain Lion or Aoudad - Yes, I am serious

3,683 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Chetos
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got the picture below from my buddies checking cameras at our lease. This camera is in a very remote location on the ranch where we hunt. We have one confirmed mountain lion on camera but we also have a ton of Aoudad. I really don't know on this one...

This is not a trick question. I will post when I get the actual picture and I believe there is another one just like this. They seem to think it's a cat. I am not so sure. Sorry about the pic quality but this is all I have to go with for now.

Thoughts?
Wodanaz
AG
Mind posting the confirmed cat photo for reference?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This was the confirmed cat photo from last year:
S.A. Aggie
AG
That's a cat! No doubt about it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Same feeder, as the original photo, with aoudad for reference:
kappmeyer
Does it matter? Asking as honestly as possible.

If it's an Aoudad, you know those are on the place. No change.

If it's a lion, you know one (at least) has wondered through (previous photo).

I guess I'm just not sure I understand the Texas hunter infatuation with ID'ing lions on remote camera. They are an animal native to our state, unlikely to be seen in person, and even more unlikely to be encountered. Cool to grab a photo of one, no doubt. Maybe that's all the rage?
cupofjoe04
AG
kappmeyer said:

They are an animal native to our state, unlikely to be seen in person, and even more unlikely to be encountered. Cool to grab a photo of one

You answered your own question. Not trying to be an ***, I really think it is just as simple as that. He potentially has a picture of something he may never get to see in person. Just a cool thing if it really is.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
One is an invasive cockroach and the other is an incredible, indigenous animal... yes, it matters. It is only one or the other and I cannot tell based on what I have seen.
Shoefly!
AG
That first pic is a Zebra.
Gunny456
AG
ttha..... My thought is that it is an Auodad. It appears that it is pretty stout and looks like it is getting noticeably wider as you look at the shoulder region....kinda typical for an Auodad. Whereas a lion is pretty symmetrical in width from hip to shoulder. Just my best guess. One thing for sure.....whichever it is they both will keep white tails away from feeders.
Newoldarmy
AG
What are the pics before and after that one?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't have the card yet. Here is the actual picture;
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I agree
B-1 83
AG
kappmeyer said:

I guess I'm just not sure I understand the Texas hunter infatuation with ID'ing lions on remote camera. They are an animal native to our state, unlikely to be seen in person, and even more unlikely to be encountered. Cool to grab a photo of one, no doubt. Maybe that's all the rage?
hillcountryag86
AG
kappmeyer said:

Good grief.

Game pics are always interesting. Who cares if the animal is native? Doesn't make it less compelling!

And lions are, for most of us, a fairly rare sighting - real time or camera. So, it's a fun discussion when someone presents a possible sighting.
aftershock
Going on record to say Aoudad.

Not gonna be disappointed if it's a cat though.
B-1 83
AG
The "Lighten up Francis" meme was flagged? WTF?
30wedge
My guess it is either a manatee or yellow lab.
Newoldarmy
AG
On a sheep it seems like you'd start to see that thicker hair start between the shoulders. None apparent on this critter.
RCR06
AG
I'd guess aoudad.

99 times out of 100 when someone says they have a picture of a mountain lion it turns out to be something else. Its rare in Texas that someone has a picture of a mountain lion on their property. So yeah I'd say its important to know if its one or not.
Gunny456
AG
I agree. Also ttha is a good poster. Always a good guy. It's the Outdoor Board. Most of us love huntin and fishing and in these crazy damn times many of can't hang with our friends like normal so it's even more fun to share stuff. I always like seeing game cam stuff. No matter what it is. It's fun.
SockDePot
30wedge said:

Respectfully disagree.

West Texas Dikfer
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
SockDePot said:

30wedge said:

Respectfully disagree.

West Texas Dikfer

What is "getting herpes" for $400, Alex.
Chetos
AG
Correct answer - both; it's a pot belly lion after eating audad
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.