Outdoors
Sponsored by

Well Our Tank Took a Hit Last Week

8,440 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wareagle044
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tank turned over last week the night of the cold front. I'm thinking the dead algae we sprayed this summer that was dead on the bottom depleted all the oxygen. Luckily we only saw one dead catfish (just stocked blue/channel hybrids this year), but the scaly fish got hammered. Didn't realize we had that many 2-3 pounds bass in there. And we even have a sprinkler that runs daily circulating water. Oh well.
giddings_ag_06
AG

RCR06
AG
Wow
Bottlerocket
AG
Ooof - that's tough. Sorry to hear that. Do you aerate your tank?
That sucks. I didn't realize it could happen that suddenly.
oklaunion
The buzzards are fixin' to have a field day.
docb
AG
Man that sucks. That will be enough info for me to ever use a herbicide in my tank.
AggieChemist
AG
Most dead stuff in a giddingsag thread ever.
SharkinAg
AG
Damn man that sucks. We had the same thing happen last April 2019 with a late front. Ever since then we have had aN aerator you try to prevent. We lost mostly big catfish. Hardly affected the bluegill and bass
MrWonderful
AG

txaggie02
AG
Dang. That sucks. I can tell you from being around multiple tanks that have turned over, that tank is going to smell absolutely awful for weeks.
Furlock Bones
AG
so, do you try and pull out as much dead fish as possible?
MouthBQ98
AG
Never seen it happen over an entire pond at once. Weird. It helps to have arms or branches or different depths in places to give the pond variable conditions I think, so some part of it might not do that and might remain marginally survivable
Serious Lee
i can smell that last pic through my screen
Slamn Sharpe
The bass with a fish in his mouth, though.
rather be fishing
AG
That's going to stink like hell.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Same thing happend to me a month ago. I am debating on filling in the tank, Im so tired of messing with it to be honest.
Ragoo
AG
Cold rain water sank to the bottom. Fish suffocated because they didn't know or have room to move into oxygen rich warmer water.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Well if you were concerned about the amount of forage fish available to the bass, your concerns were not necessary.
docb
AG
I have two aerators on my pond to help with this issue
Funky Winkerbean
AG
docb said:

Man that sucks. That will be enough info for me to ever use a herbicide in my tank.

It's not from the herbicide. The labels on aquatic herbicides clearly state to only treat 1/3rd of the area at a time. Injury is not from a chemical, it's from a bloom of aerobic organisms feeding on the decomposing algae.
BlueSmoke
Ugh, makes me sick to my stomach. Sick to hear it.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
rab79
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

Tank turned over last week the night of the cold front. I'm thinking the dead algae we sprayed this summer that was dead on the bottom depleted all the oxygen. Luckily we only saw one dead catfish (just stocked blue/channel hybrids this year), but the scaly fish got hammered. Didn't realize we had that many 2-3 pounds bass in there. And we even have a sprinkler that runs daily circulating water. Oh well.
At first I thought you were deployed to the ME, but how deep is your tank and does your sprinkler (fountain?) pull water from the bottom or the surface?
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
AggieChemist
AG
Ragoo said:

Cold rain water sank to the bottom. Fish suffocated because they didn't know or have room to move into oxygen rich warmer water.
Bird Poo
AG
Aeration doesn't seem to be the issue as much as the dead vegetation he sprayed. Wonder if mechanical removal of vegetation would keep this from happening? I would love to have a pond to grow fish but this would be a kick in the gut.

Friend of mine made one of these to pull through his pond with is tractor. Just used pipe and rebar.

TAMUallen
AG
This year I used pond dye starting in June because last year we had so much thick algae. Added again in August and now towards start of September.

It looks pretty cool, as if we're in the Caribbean out in west texas BUT even better is that there's been no algae problem. Fingers crossed that there won't be a turnover problem as it gets colder
docb
AG
Troutslime said:

docb said:

It's not from the herbicide. The labels on aquatic herbicides clearly state to only treat 1/3rd of the area at a time. Injury is not from a chemical, it's from a bloom of aerobic organisms feeding on the decomposing algae.
Decomposing algae killed by the herbicide right? Tilapia are readily available.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Something finally dies on giddings' land and he complains about it.

Sorry to see this for you.
zooguy96
AggieChemist said:

Most dead stuff in a giddingsag thread ever.

Can't blue star this enough! Good job, AC!
rab79
AG
ok, your pond has to be deep enough to stratify, i. e. cool water on the bottom warm water on the top with a boundary layer. The two levels don't mix so the bottom layer becomes anoxic, which dead algae on the bottom would facilitate.
When the top layer cools it breaks up the stratification and the two layers mix with the anoxic layer reducing the oxygen concentration to potentially lethal levels. The centrarchids are more susceptible to low oxygen levels than catfish so you can get differential mortality, depending on the level dissolved oxygen drops to.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
kyledr04
AG
That's awful
jpb1999
AG
docb said:

I have two aerators on my pond to help with this issue
What kid of aerator do you use?

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
rab79 said:

ok, your pond has to be deep enough to stratify, i. e. cool water on the bottom warm water on the top with a boundary layer. The two levels don't mix so the bottom layer becomes anoxic, which dead algae on the bottom would facilitate.
When the top layer cools it breaks up the stratification and the two layers mix with the anoxic layer reducing the oxygen concentration to potentially lethal levels. The centrarchids are more susceptible to low oxygen levels than catfish so you can get differential mortality, depending on the level dissolved oxygen drops to.
So your saying a deep pond is good or bad?

How do you stop the layers from mixing?

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
TAMUallen said:

This year I used pond dye starting in June because last year we had so much thick algae. Added again in August and now towards start of September.

It looks pretty cool, as if we're in the Caribbean out in west texas BUT even better is that there's been no algae problem. Fingers crossed that there won't be a turnover problem as it gets colder
What type of dye did you use? I would like to read about it.

Sorry for all the pond questions... finishing up a pond near my house (half with concrete sides and half with vegetation side) and just starting to think through pond health, etc. Thought about the dye as it might look nice being so close to the house if there was enough benefit to it, but didn't want it to look weird or negatively effect any fish. Also thought about putting in a fountain/aerator but really don't know a lot about them yet.

Spane Bohem

Funky Winkerbean
AG
docb said:

Troutslime said:

docb said:

Decomposing algae killed by the herbicide right? Tilapia are readily available.

Correct. Most people believe it's the chemical itself that kills the fish. It is for this reason you only treat 1/3rd of the area in a single treatment.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.