Outdoors
Sponsored by

First AR - Under a $1000???

2,556 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My 6th grade son started working the day after school got out and worked all summer, minus two weeks at camp.
He's decided he wants to buy his first rifle. I can get behind this, because he's not wasting it on toys or other junk. This could last him a lifetime. Not to mention, it will continue to fuel his love of shooting, hunting and the outdoors.

Where should we start? The one store I've talked to locally says they can only get PSA at the moment. I've seen decent reviews for the Sig Sauer M400 Tread, although I don't know if they are still in stock at BPS. I'm not a gun guy. Help me steer him in the right direction. Thank y'all!

gibberish
AG
Right now your going to pay a heavy procrastination tax. I don't have a good sub 1k suggestion in this climate. The only things still going for approximately normal pricing are premium brands.

So perhaps consider matching his contribution and get a true lifetime rifle like knights armament or LMT, if you can swing it?
BCStalk
Primary Arms has S&W M&Ps in stock but they are NJ compliant so pinned stock, 10rd magazine, and an unthreaded barrel. Only upside is they are still $650 and not some outrageous price due to COVID. Stock can be replaced for around $50 and magazines are cheap. Only thing semi permanent is the unthreaded barrel, but it would give him a platform to start with.
AgBQ-00
AG
check grabagun.com. theybhave good pricing. Not sure how their stock is. But of in DFW area you can pickup from them and avoid the ffl fees
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You want to help an 11 year old buy an ar? I don't know you or your son so trying not to pass judgment but does he already have a 22, centerfire bolt action, and a shotgun? Lever action 30-30?
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
NRD09 said:

You want to help an 11 year old buy an ar? I don't know you or your son so trying not to pass judgment but does he already have a 22, centerfire bolt action, and a shotgun? Lever action 30-30?

If he can handle having a job, he can handle a big boy rifle.

Go put your non-calloused hands back on the manicure table and leave the man stuff to the rest of us.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Get ahold of Eyeguy (a.k.a. Justin) at Texian Firearms.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
He didn't say what the job was, maybe his family owns a nail salon and he worked there?
Buck Turgidson
Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II all day long.
FamousAgg
Help him build one. It lets him customize his rifle, he will learn how it operates, how to clean and take care of it. He may even discover a skill that could lead to employment in the future.

Lots of parts coming up on sale if you wait for a good deal and buy parts over time.

Kits are a great option if your nervous about putting a gun together, the upper is already taken care of so that can make you feel better.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/kits.html
FIDO*98*
AG
NRD09 said:

Have you never shot an AR? Outside of a .22 there is literally no better gun for youth. Adjustable stock, non-existent recoil, and enough punch to hunt with. Wanna know how to make it a single shot? Put one round in at a time
AgBQ-00
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II all day long.

Have one and love it. There is a video on YT by Iraqveteran88 of it where they do a meltdown. It held up very well to continuous full auto. Torture it would never go through and it did really well
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yes i own several in multiple cartridges. I don't disagree with anything in your post but it makes my hair stand on end to hear that an 11 year old wants an ar, and dad is asking for advice because he says he's not a gun guy, maybe I'm making too many assumptions but I'm guessing this kid hasn't spent his last 6 years running around in the woods with a red ryder then a cricket then a 10-22

And yes an 11 year old is a kid, and can't legally have a job, so I'm not going to make any apologies for assuming this job wasn't roofing or doing oil changes or brake jobs

But i know how these threads go so I'll see myself out at this point, i know nobody's changing anybody's mind, especially on a Friday night. Cheers
fourth deck
AG
Suggesting the OP who admits he is not a 'gun guy' jump into building an AR or any part of it as his first is a tall ask. I think the normal progression goes something like this: buy first complete AR, buy another AR customized or as a separate lower and upper, build own AR, stockpile parts for future AR builds...

OP, brands like Ruger, S&W, Aero Precision, PSA are generally solid but cost several hundred more now than in March. Don't limit yourself to local stores, you can buy one online and have it shipped to a local gun shop (FFL) that is accepting transfers. Or as always, just call Texian Firearms.

Edit: Good on you OP for wanting to steer your boy towards this great new freedom seed dispenser. Am currently collecting stripped lowers not just for myself but also for my boys in the hopes they can put together their own AR's when they're old enough.
SquirrellyDan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

NRD09 said:

Have you never shot an AR? Outside of a .22 there is literally no better gun for youth. Adjustable stock, non-existent recoil, and enough punch to hunt with. Wanna know how to make it a single shot? Put one round in at a time

I think a larger than .22 caliber gun is better for a kid...I think the louder report and slightly tougher kick help to teach a kid to respect the firearm.
raidernarizona
Yes, he has a .22. He sold his 50cc dirt bike on this board last year and used the money to buy his first 20 gauge turkey rig. He doesn't own a centerfire but is comfortable with my .243.

He wasn't painting nails, but he was pushing a mower, weedeating and hauling trash all summer in this Texas heat. I'm super proud of his drive and his work ethic, and if this is what he chooses to invest his earnings in, then I will support him and chip in to get him set up right.

Appreciate y'all's input thus far! I knew the timing would be rough with COVID + Kamala! I'll reach out to Eyeguy and go from there. Thanks guys.

ETA: if I had any concerns about his ability to handle or not respecting the weapon, then I wouldn't be asking this question in the first place. Your 'hair raising' assumptions insinuate that I'm acting irresponsibly and if you knew me or my son, I'm sure you'd realize that isn't the case. Guns don't excite me. Bows do. That doesn't mean I don't know how to operate and handle them safely and that I haven't taught my son the same.
Slamn Sharpe
I vote lever action 30-30
RCR06
AG
Always amazes me the assumptions that get made over a seemingly innocent comment. As several people said above, this isn't the easiest time to buy an ar. Just keep looking, they're out there.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
gibberish said:

Right now your going to pay a heavy procrastination tax. I don't have a good sub 1k suggestion in this climate. The only things still going for approximately normal pricing are premium brands.

So perhaps consider matching his contribution and get a true lifetime rifle like knights armament or LMT, if you can swing it?
Not with us. Our cheapest rifle right now is $950, but it is basically same gun that I would have built for $900 pre-covid. So, OP, get a hold of me. Text 346-775-8363
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
In fact, OP, is he saving the money for it himself? If so, I'll do something special for him.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
raidernarizona
Yes sir, he's saved all of what he made this summer. That's really cool and kind of you EyeGuy! I'll text you soon and we'll go from there. Thanks pal!
FIDO 96
AG
Love the power of the OB. Well Done Texian & OP.

Now, since I've been working hard all summer, trying to spend less on my wife & kids, can you cut me a sweet deal on HK SP5?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Appreciate the response, op
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.