Outdoors
Sponsored by

Competitive French fries

4,013 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eric76
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a competitive French Fry league anywhere? If not, I'm calling out the texags outdoor board (like Goliath) to show us how you do it. My fries are based on over 75 years of tradition. Show me how you do it!. People will compete in almost anything so why not fried potatoes with a hush puppy sub group? Then branch out into corn bread? Let's get it on!

BenderRodriguez
AG
Whatcha drinking tonight?
marcel ledbetter
I was in that middle of a huge batch of fried potatoes that my family couldn't stop eating so I felt inspired for OB humor. Competitive French fries reminds me of the King of the Hill episode about competitive lawn mower racing. Random things the OB should be willing to compete in!
TresPuertas
AG
Do you double fry at two different oil temps?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
If you're not frying in beef tallow you're wasting your time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I have some currywurst seasoning and some good German sausage chilling in the freezer.I want to try and fry up some pommes worth having with it, but haven't found the time.

Especially when there's a food truck in my area that sells damn good currywurst anyway.
cuz-i-can
AG
Soak the cut to size potatoes in salted water for at least 2 hrs...double fry and salt immediately after being placed on a drying tray/pad....but try them fried in duck fat and you won't want any other fries....

Hush puppies will be a fun thread because I've had homemade hush puppies with so many different ingredients....
marcel ledbetter
I like to boil the potatoes (per Alton Brown) until I can just poke a fork into one. Much faster than soaking in cold water and the potatoes are already hot thus not cooling the oil when you drop them in.

About a 1/4" thick slices, uniformity is the key. Then, don't overcrowd your pot with fries. When to pull them comes with experience.
ought1ag
AG

Best store bought taters and the easy way out
FSGuide
Yelnick McWawa said:

If you're not frying in beef tallow you're wasting your time.

Change that from beef tallow to duck fat and you have the winning recipe
Aggieangler93
AG
There's a youtube video of a fella that figured out how to cook McDonald's fries.

I never had the patience to try it.
marcel ledbetter
I've never heard of currywurst until now! I just looked it up. That looks good!
76Ag
AG
Why would anyone want to make McDonald's fries?? They are not even near being the best. Try Beck's Prime, Longhorn Tavern or Southwell's. My home made fries are better than 98% of fast food or restaurant fries.
STX Ag
AG
This is the OB, no matter how you're doing it, you're doing it wrong.
JSKolache
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

If you're not frying in beef tallow DUCK FAT you're wasting your time.
fixed
Post removed:
by user
carl spacklers hat
Duck fat is the best. Beef tallow follows.
BenderRodriguez
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

I've never heard of currywurst until now! I just looked it up. That looks good!

It's dang good stuff.
I Am A Critic
I could see Schmellba taking this too seriously.
Username checks out.
dr_boogs
AG
Sure is a lot of bragging and posturing OB style about how good some of y'all's fries are. All I see are empty posts and picture of store bought fries and Mickey D's. If you're gonna talk the talk......lets see some proof. My iPhone 11 has the new scent diffuser filter so you boys bring the heat and let's see some actual fries up in here.
GottaRide
S
Koppe Bridge fries are the best there are. If you can make them turn out the same, you win.
marcel ledbetter
My kids eat the fries so fast there are barely any left that make it to the table for supper. I'll remember pics next time
Slamn Sharpe
Mexican Street fries at Mr Hamburger

You're welcome
Old Sarge
AG
Our favorite going back to the mid 70s were washed potatoes cut paper thin on one end, and slightly thicker at the other. Salt and pepper the cuts just prior to frying the venison backstrap. Crispy on one end with a little potato thickness on the other.

Serve with chicken fried backstrap, cream gravy from all the fryins, with a little ketsup or a tinge of Louisiana Hot Sause in the mix.

Not exactly "fries" but a kettle style chip with a french fry end on it.

MMM.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Fresh lard is also good.
FbgTxAg
AG
Obligatory

The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Pantera
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Mexican Street fries at Mr Hamburger

You're welcome
This is true!
eric76
AG
Goose fat is generally considered the best for roasted potatoes. I have never heard of anyone using it for french fries, but it would surprise me if some people don't use it for fries.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.