Outdoors
Sponsored by

Y'all be Careful with Your Private Firearms Sales

8,818 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txyaloo
IWannaGoFast1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks!
bdgol07
AG
What did the person say when you told them you couldn't sell them the firearm due to a denied report?
CactusThomas
AG
As a non FFL holder, I don't care.
Daddy-O5
AG
CactusThomas said:

I've bought and sold a quite a few guns on this and the classifieds board, met a bunch of good Ags. Pretty much where I'm at too.
ldg397
AG
CactusThomas said:

Agree! Don't see how this public service announcement applies to private sales since you weren't doing a private sale?
FamousAgg
I always feel better if I sell to a CHL holder, but I know plenty don't care at all who they sell to
IWannaGoFast1
AG
CactusThomas said:

Ya, can't fault you there. This just made me realize not everyone on here is a respectable, good Ag, and I'm somewhat glad I have a legal responsibility to vet buyers and don't have to worry about it. Ideally no one would have to worry about crap like that.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Thanks
IWannaGoFast1
AG
bdgol07 said:

What did the person say when you told them you couldn't sell them the firearm due to a denied report?
Not much. They asked if it said why they were denied and then asked if I could sell it to another individual in their family, which was no.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Did you advise the buyer of the background check from the beginning or did you tell them after the sale was agreed upon?
IWannaGoFast1
AG
I have it written in the ad that the transfer has to go through our license, so they were fully aware before contacting me.
Post removed:
by user
average_joker
AG
Ask for a copy of a voter registration card. Then if they turn out to be a felon, you can get them on voter fraud too!
CactusThomas
AG
What are you even talking about?
highvelocity
AG
DEFUND THE ATF AND THE NFA
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
RAB87
AG
I am interested in purchasing from you. My background check will be clean as whistle as long as they don't penalize for steam-tunneling transgressions while a student at A&M. I tried to PM you via TexAgs and it says you are "not a valid member". What is the best way to reach you?
SquirrellyDan
AG
Im glad you shared this. think it's great advice, and something that all responsible gun owners should have in the back of their mind when selling to someone they dont know. I do have to say, though, in my mind it's not much different than feeling a burden when selling your car to someone who may drive it drunk. Personal responsibility begins and ends at the person doing wrong.
Longbowranch
I remember when we were a free country and there were no background checks.... should have gone with background checks for voting instead because there are way too many idiots and dead people voting these days.....
BrazosDog02
AG
I only sell to Aggie Ring owners with AgTags and CHL.

Just kidding. I don't sell my guns. I just buy more space for them. Gun safes don't require FFL stuff.
GMaster0
Personally I would err on the side of caution and use the FFL if there is no regular connection. Problem with my last state Washington, the FFL is obligated in addition to their fee to apply sales tax to the firearm. I know this discourages some private sales to go through this step, my cop friends in the state also advise legally we are obligated in WA to use an FFL for private sales.

Not really a problem for me since I don't sell firearms, but I wouldn't want that legal problem around my neck if something did happen. Advise for the group is seller beware if you don't live in Texas, and know your local law.
Naveronski
AG
coleasterling said:

I'd encourage anyone privately selling a firearm to have an FFL help do the background check and transaction for them.

No.

And linking the ATF website in here, as if they're helpful and/or welcome? Hell no.
Gunny456
AG
Thanks for sharing this. I have sold some firearms in public sale but usually it has always been to somebody I know well or a family member etc. I have always made it a practice to do a bill of sale with the DL number of that person. I was advised to do this by an attourney who has handle some cases involving firearm sales.
If we get Biden as president and loose control of both house and senate we can basically get ready for our firearm freedoms to be greatly transformed and changed.
powerbelly
AG
coleasterling said:

I'd encourage anyone privately selling a firearm to have an FFL help do the background check and transaction for them.

No thanks. The ATF already infringes on our rights enough as it is.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In a purely hypothetical scenario:

If you know someone that is a convicted felon and has several arms that their family member wants to move (because of legal and safety reasons) that were legally purchased, would you have any problem selling them on behalf of the family (not criminals)?

Purely hypothetical...
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'd like to mention the Lautenberg Amendment here.

I personally know a man who is my age (mid 30s). Wife, two kids, loving father, husband, and responsible, hard working man. When that man was in his very early 20s, he dated a crazy, psychopathic woman. When he broke it off with said psychopath, she filed a false report claiming that he had abused and hit her. Cops got involved.

The very long story short is that young 20s something man was advised by the attorney he could afford at his age and income level to take a misdemeanor plea deal, cut off all contact with crazy woman, and move on with his life. Because of the Lautenburg Amendment, this man is still barred from legally owning a firearm, over a decade later.

He would 100% get shutdown and denied via NICS. Because he is a good, law abiding man he has come to terms with the fact that the state will never allow him to own a gun for the protection of himself and his family, follows the law and does not own a gun. All because of a plea deal on a bull crap DV charge over 15 years ago.

So just because the state says someone shouldn't be allowed to own a gun doesn't necessarily mean I agree. YMMV.

Slamn Sharpe
This thread is frightening and exactly what flaming libs love to hear to arm their agenda.

Saying you don't care is wreckless

**edit** for those that called me a liberal in the politics board can kiss my ***
SMM48
AG
Now that's funny.

Thanks for being honest.
SMM48
AG
That's messed up.
BenderRodriguez
AG
FunkyKO said:

That's messed up.

Like most laws, good intentions lead to bad results.

"wife beaters shouldn't have guns".

Hard to argue with.

Never mind how courts deal with he said/she said cases between young and dumb people, and the effects it has on the rest of their lives.

I have no data on it, but I would suspect there are more cases like my friends than examples of wife beaters who were prevented from hurting/abusing family because they were legally barred from owning a gun. That kind of person doesn't seem to give a **** what the law says anyway.

But my friend? Yeah, he follows it. And is disarmed because of it.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Thanks
Daddy-O5
AG
It's really not that controversial, the primary difference of opinion seems to be if somehow checking the gubbment boxes means you're any more or less responsible. I certainly won't give you any crap for wanting (or being legally bound to) run a background check anymore than someone who feels better selling to only LTC holders or using whatever personal standards they want to use. But a general PSA for personal transactions does not necessarily need to be accompanied by any implication that a background check need to be run, nor that because the Feds say you can't have a gun actually means you're any more or less likely to use it improperly in the future than someone who they say can.

The only issue I have is if anyone wants to accuse others who do not adhere to the same standards of being reckless or irresponsible (not saying you are). I have actually stopped communicating with one or two people during potential firearms transactions because I didn't get a great feeling about them, fortunately by the time I've gotten FTF with buyers I've felt very comfortable with the transaction and haven't had any really uncomfortable moments. Most of my transactions are accompanied by a Bill of Sale. We can all agree that we need to be smart about who we're selling to, and try to do our best to ensure guns aren't getting into the wrong hands. It benefits us all to do so. But there's of course an inherent risk to having the freedom to own, buy, and sell guns without the gov't stamp of approval (which I doubt any of us want).
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Thanks!
MaxPower
This is why I would only sell something like a bolt action hunting rifle to an individual. That could still be used nefariously but it's highly unlikely. If I were selling a handgun or semi-auto rifle then I'd go pawn shop or some other FFL option. I may get paid less but keep my conscious clean.
P.U.T.U
AG
Texas Gun Trader has a sales form that I make the buyer fill out, that way if the gun is traced back to me I have paperwork showing who I sold it to and they signed they are not a felon. Just CYA. I have also not sold a gun the person I was planning to sell it to if I got a bad feeling from them.

Texas Gun Trader bill of sale
txyaloo
AG
Not sure if your friend is aware, but he can have his firearms rights restored. When I had an FFL, I sold to several folks who screwed up in their youth and were barred from firearms ownership but later had rights restored by the courts or governor. Worth checking in to. Just had to submit the documentation to the FBI to get NICS cleared.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.