Outdoors
Sponsored by

What are you preparing for?

4,172 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JD05AG
filag88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Fox news put out an article today that K-12 education in our nation is going to begin using a revised history curriculum that teaches our nation did not begin in 1776. Instead it began back in the 1600's when African slaves first arrived. Therefore, everything we claim to be proud of in our nation, actually originated from slavery. Our nation is not something to be proud of. I believe very little of what I hear from media, but let's assume that this is true and our nations youth will be taught that the USA is something to be ashamed of and should be burned down and start over.

College sports could potentially be over this year. If that happens, who knows what it may lead to economically and culturally for our nation.

With all of the potential possibilities out there. What are you preparing for? I assume most of you are graduates of our great university. You are intelligent, even if I don't agree with you. I am just curious what does a college educated, outdoor enthusiast see coming in our country and how are you preparing? Worst case scenario with common sense and intelligent reasoning?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
With all due respect, time to unplug the tv and internet for a bit man.
cadetjay02
AG
I'm not familiar with the story because watching the news is among the least likely thing I'm ever going to do. That being said, stating k12 curriculum isn't a singular thing so I already know you have been caught by media sensationalism. I teach AP World History and AP US History in DFW. Public education curriculum is written by the TEA and approved by the state board of education. Each individual state has their own system. So you're already talking about 50 curriculums. Next, being an AP teacher, I actually follow the College Board curriculum which is different than the state. Then add in the private and home-school curriculums that have who knows what on them and they're hundreds in not thousands of "curriculums" out there. Finally, history teachers are a broad diverse group of people who are generally adverse to change.
So rest easy my internet friend, that is one thing that should not be worried about. The real argument should be if the nation truly began in 1776 with the Declaration of Independence or in 1787 with the ratification of the constitution.
filag88
AG
I appreciate your response. And as I said in the OP, I believe very little of what I see or read in media. I try to get a broad view and piece things together as I can. But I am very cynical when it comes to the news.

The article I am referring to on Fox News just led me to wonder what if. What would happen in our nation if this were true? What would happen if a lot of the other things being thrown out there by people on both sides came to pass? I am not a doomsday guy. I am not changing the way I live. I was just curious what others were thinking.

I realize message boards aren't the best place for getting news. But the way media is going, I am beginning to trust what I read on here more than I do anywhere else. So just checking in with you guys that I respect and wanting to see where you were all thinking. Here is the article I was referring to regarding history.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cabot-phillips-cancel-culture-distorts-history-to-portray-us-as-evil-nation-that-must-be-transformed
Mas89
AG
Preparing for the coming up dove, alligator, and teal season. 23 more days.
filag88
AG
Quote:

With all due respect, time to unplug the tv and internet for a bit man.

I was just asking for common sense and intelligent reasoning. I am not freaking out. I am not crying end of the world. I just want to know how you guys are thinking and feeling about what is going on in our world.

You may be right about unplugging the tv and internet. Would probably be good for all of us. I am not trying to create a sense of panic and oh my gosh we are all going to die mentality. It was just a question of what if. What if some of the worst case scenarios come true. What are you doing? I guess in your case you aren't doing anything at all in regards to what is going on in our nation. And that is fine. Right now, I am working on my LTC but other than that, it's life as usual for me.

But thanks for the advice.
FamousAgg
Related to the teaching curriculum, does anyone know how Germany and Italy handle this? Obviously they have a very long history with a lot of good and some periods of bad, those countries don't hate themselves or appear to be tearing themselves apart over the much more recent past.

I assume Russia and China have some odd history lessons...
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I used to be a really big Fox News fan.

Then I realized they are no different than any other "news" out there. "Fair and Balanced"....ok. Hannity became downright unwatchable, and I used to like the guy.

Sadly, there really is no true news source for anyone who isn't at one of the 2 polar extremes in this country.
FamousAgg
Player To Be Named Later said:

Then I realized they are no different than any other "news" out there. "Fair and Balanced"....ok. Hannity became downright unwatchable, and I used to like the guy.

Sadly, there really is no true news source for anyone who isn't at one of the 2 polar extremes in this country.

Agreed, I really cannot understand why the parties race to the extremes instead of moving towards center where there could be some common ground. Unfortunately the political board is the same way, there is no place for moderates there.
ElephantRider
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

It's all garbage propaganda
hbc07
AG
What am I preparing for? The possibility of working from home through the start of next year. A backpacking trip to Arkansas in a few weeks. That's about it.

Certainly not the end of the civilized world as is being predicted by OP.
filag88
AG
Quote:

What am I preparing for? The possibility of working from home through the start of next year. A backpacking trip to Arkansas in a few weeks. That's about it.

Certainly not the end of the civilized world as is being predicted by OP.

Being predicted by the OP? Reading comprehension? Where did I predict the end of the world?
IDAGG
AG
filag88 said:

You may be right about unplugging the tv and internet. Would probably be good for all of us.

Not piling on OP. But the suggestion above is a really good one. The news media and even more so, internet websites, message boards, Twitter etc amplify the worst or our political discourse. I have slowly unplugged from a lot of the noise as what I read on the interwebs or see on the news has very little in common with what I see and hear as I interact with real people. Both sides of the political spectrum are trying to influence people by scaring them. This is one reason I have finally given up on forum 16.

Scary hot takes and amplifying the most extreme voices drives clicks and eyeballs. That is the bottom line. literally.
HumbleAg04
AG
I'm preparing for the backlash against sensationalism and social media.

Also training with my firearms a lot more.
filag88
AG
Rephrasing my question for those that aren't understanding my OP. Based on our nation's current events, what are you doing differently in life? Are you one of those that is hoarding supplies? Are you stocking up on ammo or buying new firearms? Are you prepping your Bug Out Bag? Or are you just living life as usual? I am getting my LTC. Other than that I am not changing the way I live my life.

Secondly, if everything came to pass that fits what YOU CONSIDER to be a worst case scenario, what are you preparing for? My worst case scenario is increased violence in our streets, that is why I am getting my LTC. What are you doing?
filag88
AG
Excellent reply. That is what I am looking for. Just reasonable thought about what is going on in our nation. How are you approaching it? Thanks!
oklaunion
Prepared for the repercussions of the Minneapolis trial, whenever that occurs. An acquittal of the charges currently in place or a conviction (not unlike a city burning its town down after winning a national championship) is going to result in widespread violence, The riots a few months ago will pale in comparison. Better be ready to hunker down.
rab79
AG
filag88 said:

Fox news put out an article today that K-12 education in our nation is going to begin using a revised history curriculum that teaches our nation did not begin in 1776. Instead it began back in the 1600's when African slaves first arrived. Therefore, everything we claim to be proud of in our nation, actually originated from slavery. Our nation is not something to be proud of. I believe very little of what I hear from media, but let's assume that this is true and our nations youth will be taught that the USA is something to be ashamed of and should be burned down and start over.

College sports could potentially be over this year. If that happens, who knows what it may lead to economically and culturally for our nation.

With all of the potential possibilities out there. What are you preparing for? I assume most of you are graduates of our great university. You are intelligent, even if I don't agree with you. I am just curious what does a college educated, outdoor enthusiast see coming in our country and how are you preparing? Worst case scenario with common sense and intelligent reasoning?
take it to the politics board.......
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
IDAGG
AG
filag88 said:

Excellent reply. That is what I am looking for. Just reasonable thought about what is going on in our nation. How are you approaching it? Thanks!
Good question. I will try my best to keep politics out of my reply as I do not want to pollute the OB with political arguments. I will say this though: Throughout the modern history of the US we have tacked back and forth between Republicans and Democrats in power. Why? Because neither party can solve all the problems. so voters tire of one approach and try another. Wash, rinse repeat. I am an optimist at heart and think the broad center of the American public will not let the zealots of either party run too far left or right. And BTW, both extremes will try to tell you the center does not exist. BULL****.

I am an old, and throughout my life I have found that most people I disagree with are good people that are not trying to do me harm, but simply have another viewpoint typically based on their upbringing and life experiences.

Given that, my approach to the current troubles is to love my family, try my best to support them with love and also be kind to others. Some of that kindness means listening to folks with other viewpoints. Near term we have a bit more food stocked up than usual, based mainly on the uncertainty of the Covid issue and potential future shutdowns etc. I also stocked up a bit more on ammo and reloading components based mainly on an election looming, which always leads to shortages of ammo and reloading components.

Take care filag88 and God bless all of us.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Player To Be Named Later
AG
oklaunion said:

Prepared for the repercussions of the Minneapolis trial, whenever that occurs. An acquittal of the charges currently in place or a conviction (not unlike a city burning its town down after winning a national championship) is going to result in widespread violence, The riots a few months ago will pale in comparison. Better be ready to hunker down.

An acquittal isn't as unlikely as most think. If that happens, what we've seen so far will be like a picnic in the park.

rootube
AG
OP. Get yourself a five gallon bucket and go shake some seaweed into it. Apparently there is an entire world that will drop out into your bucket.
pants
Yes, the USA started in the late 1700s. Is the curriculum you're scared of actually refuting that? Do you have a source other than a Fox News opinion piece?

I suspect the curriculum just correctly points out that most of the early economic power of our nation was built on the foundation of the American slave trade, which started in the 1600s. Context is important.
pants
Ok, I take some of it back, it does say that 1619 is the country's birth. They have an extremely important point, but should re-phrase that one point. One point of semantics doesn't completely invalidate the argument, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/20/magazine/1619-intro.html
OldAg68
AG
Check out the New York Times Project 1619. Here's the description:

The 1619 Project aims to recast Americans' concept of their nation as one founded on freedom, equality and opportunity into one irremediably corrupted by slavery, inequality and racism.

The progressives intend to get this into our schools, beginning at the lowest possible grade level.

As for me, I limit my news sources to National Review, WSJ online and Fox Business (when I'm driving). I never watch TV news, local or otherwise, unless there is something breaking that might affect us directly in our community (BCS).

One thing I'm doing differently is watching for opportunities to influence my adult children and my grandchildren. Preaching to them doesn't work, just trying to get them to see what's going on in the country and how they might interpret those events. Also encouraging them to look into the motives/agendas of the various activist groups that are in the news.
mm98
AG
pants said:

Ok, I take some of it back, it does say that 1619 is the country's birth. They have an extremely important point, but should re-phrase that one point. One point of semantics doesn't completely invalidate the argument, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/20/magazine/1619-intro.html

Leftist bull**** from Nicole Hannah Jones who has basically been given the keys to the kingdom at the NYT

The 1619 Project has been in the works since the and of 2019 to prepare for the 2020 election
mm98
AG
My son plays Fortnite and they had a live video break ad with Van Jones and Jamelle Hill to discuss Institutionalized Racism.

I watch my kids online data more closely than ever.
GMaster0
I am preparing to go salmon fishing in Norway and maybe a hunt for chamois in Eastern Europe.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Met some really cool guys from France at Dallas SCI talking bout a Chamois hunt. That looked like a pretty amazing trip
MooreTrucker
AG
I don't know, but for the first time ever, my wife on her own brought up the idea of purchasing handguns and getting our LTC.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Working extra shifts to buy extra ammo and firearms training. Then Paramedic school then possibly become a male nurse.
Slamn Sharpe
I've always wondered why our culture/society ignores our nations dirty history. If they want to tell it as it is, I have no problem with that. Honest, factual discussion about our countries past should be taught. I don't feel guilty in any way, nor should anyone. I had nothing to do with it but won't ignore the truth or put someone from that time frame on a pedestal.
AggiePops
Quote:

the USA is something to be ashamed of and should be burned down and start over.
In a way, the country was burned down and 'the reset button' pressed. The burn? It was called the Civil War. Nearly 400,000 Union soldiers died to free the slaves. Cities and countless homes were razed. Civilians starved. Black Americans took the worst of it simply by having been enslaved and then treated like second class citizens for so long afterward. But no one can say white Americans didn't pay a very high price to finally set the blacks on the path toward freedom.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I try to be a better version of me than I was yesterday.

Mental, physical, emotional. Workout, read books, cook new foods, etc. I'm brushing up on the languages I've learned in the past and trying out new ones. I'm down 35 lbs from my peak fatness. I'm working on spending more time with family and friends and less time with screens.

Focus on fixing yourself and let the world do what it will.
JD05AG
AG
Where to put a bear skin rug
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.